Thread: So I was almost in a shooting.

So I was almost in a shooting.

I was coming out of the Walmart at Gratiot, and 12 Mile 2 days ago, and was about half way out of the parking lot when I heard a "pop", at first i thought that something poped when I ran over some trash that was in the parking lot, and was just thinking that it might have been a firework (I didn't recognize it right away because it was muffled by the car.) when I heard 3, or 4 more rapid fire, and there was no mistaking what it was, and I saw a guy running through the parking lot with an auto pistol in hand.

Important notes here:

I did not actualy see the shooting, so I did not know if I was seeing the victim, or the perp.

The guy I saw did not appear to be a "thug type" (Yes I know it takes all types.), and i didn't get a real "perpy" vibe from him, and he was running tword the store, not away, and wasn't attempting to hide the gun. Instinct told me I was probably looking at the victim.

The shooting was over, no one was in immediate danger.

These things considered, and the fact that it was not my fight, I did not intervien, however I did call 911, and keep an eye on the guy as he went in to a jewlery store.

The cops arrived about 2 minutes later. Despite a shots fired call they only sent 2 cruisers, and one never even stopped, more arrived later, but only after the single responding officer had already taken the report. I reported what I saw, and led them to the shell casings (9mm).

The story I got from the cop who took the report was that the guy was the owner of the jewlery, and a guy walked in snatched a $16,000 ring, and ran off. The owner chased him out of the store, and fired at him as he was fleeing.
    Last edited by Small_Arms_Collector; 06-14-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Wow, sounds like an interesting day!

Good to hear you were not involved and all is well on your end however.
    Last edited by Yance; 06-14-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    The story I got from the cop who took the report was that the guy was the owner of the jewlery, and a guy walked in snatched a $16,000 ring, and ran off. The owner chased him out of the store, and fired at him as he was fleeing.
    Read the story I posted. Perp allegedly reached for a gun. The cool thing about this story (other than the headline is a bit twisted and inaccurate) is the Reporter called MOC for comments about a Self Defense related incident. I think it shows the organization is growing in recognition.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Which organization is "Open Carry Michigan"? lol
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    Which organization is "Open Carry Michigan"? lol
    Good question. Kind of like the "Michigan Open Carry Committee"
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I wonder what would have happened to the owner had he hit and killed the perp?

Pro-gun group applauds store owner who shot at ring thief

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/2...-at-ring-thief

And for those of you that have a legit computer.

This was a clever store owner (not at first though). He knew exactly what to say. 'Reaching in his pocket...fear for my life...guy turned and faced me'. He needs to have paste and tin imitations of his high end rings that he can show rather than take the ring out of the case and give it to someone with no in-store security (like a self-locking inner door).

I have a lot of respect for jewelers. You lock the BG in the store so he can't escape with the merchandise and now you have a guy with a gun in the store with you! Yikes.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Glad you made the right call S_A_C and also that you don't have any additional holes.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Good question. Kind of like the "Michigan Open Carry Committee"

Didnt they have the new open carry laws passed?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Didnt they have the new open carry laws passed?
    Never heard about that "law"... maybe you can fill me in. I do know one thing, since this law obviously passed, next thing you know people will start wearing pistols out in the open EVERYWHERE: restaurants, churches, city council meetings, and dare I say, even schools!! What will the children do?? What message is this sending people?

And we all know unloaded guns have shot hundreds of people.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    And we all know unloaded guns have shot hundreds of people.
    You're just one of those crazy hopolophobes!!!!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!