• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I was almost in a shooting.

Small_Arms_Collector

I was coming out of the Walmart at Gratiot, and 12 Mile 2 days ago, and was about half way out of the parking lot when I heard a "pop", at first i thought that something poped when I ran over some trash that was in the parking lot, and was just thinking that it might have been a firework (I didn't recognize it right away because it was muffled by the car.) when I heard 3, or 4 more rapid fire, and there was no mistaking what it was, and I saw a guy running through the parking lot with an auto pistol in hand.

Important notes here:

I did not actualy see the shooting, so I did not know if I was seeing the victim, or the perp.

The guy I saw did not appear to be a "thug type" (Yes I know it takes all types.), and i didn't get a real "perpy" vibe from him, and he was running tword the store, not away, and wasn't attempting to hide the gun. Instinct told me I was probably looking at the victim.

The shooting was over, no one was in immediate danger.

These things considered, and the fact that it was not my fight, I did not intervien, however I did call 911, and keep an eye on the guy as he went in to a jewlery store.

The cops arrived about 2 minutes later. Despite a shots fired call they only sent 2 cruisers, and one never even stopped, more arrived later, but only after the single responding officer had already taken the report. I reported what I saw, and led them to the shell casings (9mm).

The story I got from the cop who took the report was that the guy was the owner of the jewlery, and a guy walked in snatched a $16,000 ring, and ran off. The owner chased him out of the store, and fired at him as he was fleeing.

Last edited:

Yance

Wow, sounds like an interesting day!

Good to hear you were not involved and all is well on your end however.

Last edited:

TheQ

The story I got from the cop who took the report was that the guy was the owner of the jewlery, and a guy walked in snatched a $16,000 ring, and ran off. The owner chased him out of the store, and fired at him as he was fleeing.

Read the story I posted. Perp allegedly reached for a gun. The cool thing about this story (other than the headline is a bit twisted and inaccurate) is the Reporter called MOC for comments about a Self Defense related incident. I think it shows the organization is growing in recognition.

sawah

This was a clever store owner (not at first though). He knew exactly what to say. 'Reaching in his pocket...fear for my life...guy turned and faced me'. He needs to have paste and tin imitations of his high end rings that he can show rather than take the ring out of the case and give it to someone with no in-store security (like a self-locking inner door).

I have a lot of respect for jewelers. You lock the BG in the store so he can't escape with the merchandise and now you have a guy with a gun in the store with you! Yikes.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Didnt they have the new open carry laws passed?

Never heard about that "law"... maybe you can fill me in. I do know one thing, since this law obviously passed, next thing you know people will start wearing pistols out in the open EVERYWHERE: restaurants, churches, city council meetings, and dare I say, even schools!! What will the children do?? What message is this sending people?