Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: I stopped Ocing for now because...

  1. #51
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by virginian45colt View Post
    I'm regretting ever starting this thread. Sorry I ever did if a mod would remove it I would appreciate it.
    The mods may or may not remove it. I'd recommend at least asking them to lock it. I don't know if you read post #38, if not, I'd recommend you do.

    I'd also add, don't be put off by this experience. Most of us have had this, in one fashion or another, where we try to relate our experience, and in the end, the thread sometimes resembles a feeding frenzy in a shark tank. As I said before, everyone else is more than willing to tell you what they'd do in your situation. Thing is, if they had been there, then it wouldn't be your situation. It would be theirs. It would be different. A lot of people don't get it.

    Oh well.

    Good Luck.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 FS Tactical .45ACP Carried Condition 1.
    OR Taurus PT92AFS 9x19mm.
    Yes, I've decided I'm the Grammar & Spelling "Police." At least once in a while.

  2. #52
    Regular Member virginian45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon!
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    The mods may or may not remove it. I'd recommend at least asking them to lock it. I don't know if you read post #38, if not, I'd recommend you do.

    I'd also add, don't be put off by this experience. Most of us have had this, in one fashion or another, where we try to relate our experience, and in the end, the thread sometimes resembles a feeding frenzy in a shark tank. As I said before, everyone else is more than willing to tell you what they'd do in your situation. Thing is, if they had been there, then it wouldn't be your situation. It would be theirs. It would be different. A lot of people don't get it.

    Oh well.

    Good Luck.
    I've noticed a lot of forum's these days are just people calling you a liar or whatnot. Oh well. Thanks though.

  3. #53
    Regular Member Cremator75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by virginian45colt View Post
    I've noticed a lot of forum's these days are just people calling you a liar or whatnot. Oh well. Thanks though.
    Keyboard Cowboys!

    Just ignore the ignorant comments.

    Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Cremator75; 06-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.

  4. #54
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by virginian45colt View Post
    I've noticed a lot of forum's these days are just people calling you a liar or whatnot. Oh well. Thanks though.
    Actually, what you could do is use the "Thread Tools" located near the top of each page, and unsubscribe from the thread, then you won't be bothered by message notifications from this thread anymore. Eventually everyone else will get tired and float away from it.

    It's not really so much a thing of them calling "liar," as much as we just have a bad habit of feeding on our own. EVERYONE has their idea of how best to respond to a police encounter, and if your example doesn't fit their cookie cutter mold, then they see it as a failure on your part.

    Myself, I usually only post the ones I see as funny, or something where I generally just stood my ground on my right to bear arms that ended with me continuing on my way. Most of the time, it seems to meet with everyone's approval. But, everyone once in a while, I get chewed up too. Try not to take it personally. Some of them just can't help it.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 FS Tactical .45ACP Carried Condition 1.
    OR Taurus PT92AFS 9x19mm.
    Yes, I've decided I'm the Grammar & Spelling "Police." At least once in a while.

  5. #55
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    It's not really so much a thing of them calling "liar," as much as we just have a bad habit of feeding on our own.
    What else do you call someone who passes along untrue information?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  6. #56
    Regular Member virginian45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon!
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    What else do you call someone who passes along untrue information?
    Your know, getting called a liar is getting old. I have found here in Oregon I get harassed more because I still have Cali plates. It's alright though. I'm realizing I fought in the Army for Freedom of Speech and the Right to bear arms and none of you can take that from me. I'm physically crippled for the rest of my life just protecting your freedom to call me a liar. Thanks.

    Mod's please lock this thread. Thank you.

  7. #57
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by virginian45colt View Post
    Your know, getting called a liar is getting old. I have found here in Oregon I get harassed more because I still have Cali plates. It's alright though. I'm realizing I fought in the Army for Freedom of Speech and the Right to bear arms and none of you can take that from me. I'm physically crippled for the rest of my life just protecting your freedom to call me a liar. Thanks.

    Mod's please lock this thread. Thank you.
    Don't get me wrong. Passing along that you are a veteran (wounded or not) I highly value what you have done and your service to our country.

    I won't go into the Texas thing, its just too obvious.

    A LEO upon making contact with a subject already has made up his/her mind as to whether or not he/she will or will not arrest you. Saying nothing or saying everything is not going to change that fact. You will not talk your way out of being arrested but you most certainly CAN talk your way into it. Exercising your right to not answer their questions MAY get you arrested anyway, but the act of not answering most certainly did not trigger the arrest.

    In this case, if you were not breaking any laws, and kept your mouth shut, and got arrested anyway.. I would suggest filing a civil rights suit (finding an attorney) because your rights were violated.

    Simply because these things have been disputed doesn't mean in the slightest that "everyone here is calling you a liar". They are simply calling it how they see it. We are here to converse, share ideas and information.

    Also having Cali plates doesn't make a person a target for harassment in Oregon. (I know this from experience) There is likely something else that has your locally encountered LEOs feathers ruffled up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  8. #58
    Regular Member virginian45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon!
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Don't get me wrong. Passing along that you are a veteran (wounded or not) I highly value what you have done and your service to our country.

    I won't go into the Texas thing, its just too obvious.

    A LEO upon making contact with a subject already has made up his/her mind as to whether or not he/she will or will not arrest you. Saying nothing or saying everything is not going to change that fact. You will not talk your way out of being arrested but you most certainly CAN talk your way into it. Exercising your right to not answer their questions MAY get you arrested anyway, but the act of not answering most certainly did not trigger the arrest.

    In this case, if you were not breaking any laws, and kept your mouth shut, and got arrested anyway.. I would suggest filing a civil rights suit (finding an attorney) because your rights were violated.

    Simply because these things have been disputed doesn't mean in the slightest that "everyone here is calling you a liar". They are simply calling it how they see it. We are here to converse, share ideas and information.

    Also having Cali plates doesn't make a person a target for harassment in Oregon. (I know this from experience) There is likely something else that has your locally encountered LEOs feathers ruffled up.
    I won't get into my experience in Texas, my family is from Texas, we have a lot of ranch land, and all my great uncles, who are WW2/Korea Vets open carry everyday there. But it's PRIVATE property out in the middle of nowhere that's probably why I saw it. I didn't see it like in Houston or anything, it was on private property.
    Last edited by virginian45colt; 07-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.

  9. #59
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    McMinnville, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    39

    Angry Cali Plates

    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Don't get me wrong. Passing along that you are a veteran (wounded or not) I highly value what you have done and your service to our country.

    I won't go into the Texas thing, its just too obvious.

    A LEO upon making contact with a subject already has made up his/her mind as to whether or not he/she will or will not arrest you. Saying nothing or saying everything is not going to change that fact. You will not talk your way out of being arrested but you most certainly CAN talk your way into it. Exercising your right to not answer their questions MAY get you arrested anyway, but the act of not answering most certainly did not trigger the arrest.

    In this case, if you were not breaking any laws, and kept your mouth shut, and got arrested anyway.. I would suggest filing a civil rights suit (finding an attorney) because your rights were violated.

    Simply because these things have been disputed doesn't mean in the slightest that "everyone here is calling you a liar". They are simply calling it how they see it. We are here to converse, share ideas and information.

    Also having Cali plates doesn't make a person a target for harassment in Oregon. (I know this from experience) There is likely something else that has your locally encountered LEOs feathers ruffled up.
    It does make the Police look at you. I had a rental car for 3 weeks while mine was in the shop, it had Cali plates and I got pulled over 3 times in that car. I have never been pulled over once in my regular car. If you must know I got pulled over once because there was only one license plate light working the second one worked, second because my wife turned on the over head light to find a CD while driving through town, which I didn't even know was illeagal, and the third was because my passenger tire touched the white line for two seconds and he said I was swerving. I have lived in this twon for 8 years and never once been pulled over, I do think it is because of the Cali plates.

  10. #60
    Regular Member jdholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by virginian45colt View Post
    I won't get into my experience in Texas, my family is from Texas, we have a lot of ranch land, and all my great uncles, who are WW2/Korea Vets open carry everyday there. But it's PRIVATE property out in the middle of nowhere that's probably why I saw it. I didn't see it like in Houston or anything, it was on private property.
    The reason you are being called a liar and a troll is that you are behaving as they typically do.

    Every post contains a new little tidbit of info that is used to justify your story and make yourself sound right or better. When the whole picture gets put up on the wall for people to see, it looks kind of like abstract art rather than a Michelangelo.

    You are a Komnifornien immigrant, who lived in Texas with your Korean War vet uncles, Georgia and now Oregon. You have no job and no place to live yet have been there long enough to make friends with the "gun shop" and are hanging out there all the time.
    You are exercising your right to carry without understanding how to defend that right, and are unwilling to exercise your right to keep silent - a right you claim to have fought to defend, although I think that is impossible unless you are much older than I get the impression you are.

    The open carry thing in Texas really hurt you because your first claim gave the impression that you seen it ALL the time and with so many people...now it's just a couple uncles?

    Don't take offense we just see a lot of folks come on here trying to make trouble or make up far fetched stories...yours may be real it just comes across as familiar to many of us.

  11. #61
    Regular Member virginian45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon!
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholmes View Post
    The reason you are being called a liar and a troll is that you are behaving as they typically do.

    Every post contains a new little tidbit of info that is used to justify your story and make yourself sound right or better. When the whole picture gets put up on the wall for people to see, it looks kind of like abstract art rather than a Michelangelo.

    You are a Komnifornien immigrant, who lived in Texas with your Korean War vet uncles, Georgia and now Oregon. You have no job and no place to live yet have been there long enough to make friends with the "gun shop" and are hanging out there all the time.
    You are exercising your right to carry without understanding how to defend that right, and are unwilling to exercise your right to keep silent - a right you claim to have fought to defend, although I think that is impossible unless you are much older than I get the impression you are.

    The open carry thing in Texas really hurt you because your first claim gave the impression that you seen it ALL the time and with so many people...now it's just a couple uncles?

    Don't take offense we just see a lot of folks come on here trying to make trouble or make up far fetched stories...yours may be real it just comes across as familiar to many of us.
    I'm not trying to come across as a troll. I apologize.
    I was born and raised in Cali, went to college there, went to Georgia for basic/AIT, Texas for my duty station. Got out of the Army, went back to Cali, then moved here 2 months ago.
    Not trying to come across as a troll. I stink at typing and writing. That's probably why I sound like a troll.

  12. #62
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    615

    Back Off Guys

    Treating emigrants from Kalifornia like this is not going to help win them to our cause. Sure, Calis have a certain mentality about them when it comes to government and law enforcement ... but it is only a stereotype. I am guilty of making assumptions about Californians as the next guy. Instead of armchair quarterbacking the poor guy, help him come around to our side and teach him how to better use his rights. About the Texas thing? From what he stated later, he spent most of his time on ranch land out in the middle of nowhere - if that is the case, then yes it wouldn't be uncommon to see people OCing - even dual wielding 1911's. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

    To the OP: if you really are still uncomfortable with OCing, become knowledgeable about the law, determine how you will respond to citizens and law enforcement, OC in places you are familiar with, and if the DPRK mentality is still a concern, see if you can become an Oregon resident.

  13. #63
    Regular Member jolly__roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    43

    Wow.....

    I'm confounded with how many in this community are so quick to berate and then try to ostracize someone for sharing an experience that doesn't follow their ideology and methods in how it "should" have been handled. The majority of the comments (some a little more gruff than others) in this thread appeared to be genuinely trying to help guide a new person on the right path but the rest of the comments were about as useful as the crew of the titanic. The high level of cynicism on this forum is exactly why I held off for a long time from sharing any of my personal OCing experiences. If you truly wish to encourage more people to join in on the OCing experience and OCDO then some people on this forum desperately need to change their approach methods.

    My hat goes off to those that made a genuine attempt to welcome a newcomer to the community & my greetings to a fellow newcomer.

  14. #64
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlip74 View Post
    It does make the Police look at you. I had a rental car for 3 weeks while mine was in the shop, it had Cali plates and I got pulled over 3 times in that car. I have never been pulled over once in my regular car.
    Our experiences differ. I simply cannot believe a LEO will pull over a CA plate any more than any other including OR plates. There are other factors at play that would cause a LEO to pull over a vehicle beyond simply the state from which it is registered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  15. #65
    Regular Member Ironbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    What else do you call someone who passes along untrue information?
    Ignorant.

  16. #66
    Super Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    28,599
    Originally Posted by VW_Factor

    What else do you call someone who passes along untrue information?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar View Post
    Ignorant.
    Mistaken, ill informed, poorly advised, in error, or any number of words and phrases that are not personally insulting.

    I am constantly amazed by those who respond in a crass (without refinement, delicacy, or sensitivity) fashion. Such is totally unnecessary, more than a little rude, and detracts greatly from the forum. It needs to stop.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

    Yata hey

  17. #67
    Regular Member Ironbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Mistaken, ill informed, poorly advised, in error, or any number of words and phrases that are not personally insulting.

    I am constantly amazed by those who respond in a crass (without refinement, delicacy, or sensitivity) fashion. Such is totally unnecessary, more than a little rude, and detracts greatly from the forum. It needs to stop.
    And I am constantly amazed by the number of people on this forum who don't own a freakin' DICTIONARY!

    ig·no·rant

    adjective

    1. lacking in knowledge or training

    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact

    3. uninformed; unaware

    Don't go looking for intent Grapeshot where non existed. The word ignorant is not an insult; it is a WORD.
    Last edited by Ironbar; 07-25-2012 at 10:18 AM.

  18. #68
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    8,503
    Considering that the use of the word' ignorant' was not qualified as to its usage, the word ignorant was logically taken to be used as a

    pe-jo-ra-tive (noun): a word or phrase that has negative connotations or that is used to disparage or belittle : a pejorative word or phrase
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

    Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

  19. #69
    Regular Member Ironbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Considering that the use of the word' ignorant' was not qualified as to its usage, the word ignorant was logically taken to be used as a

    pe-jo-ra-tive (noun): a word or phrase that has negative connotations or that is used to disparage or belittle : a pejorative word or phrase
    So it's logical for you to assign negative connotation to a word as a rule?

    Would you like to move this discussion of the dissection of the English language to another thread or shall we just stop here?

  20. #70
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    8,503
    Your verbal jujitsu is ineffective....now, back to the OP.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

    Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

  21. #71
    Regular Member Ironbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Your verbal jujitsu is ineffective....now, back to the OP.
    Oh yeah? Well, GIRL GERMS, NO RETURNS!

  22. #72
    Super Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    28,599
    Thread has been sufficiently derailed - locked it.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

    Yata hey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •