• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I stopped Ocing for now because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKEgal

Big Gay Al said:
If you saw people in Texas OCing, you saw people breaking the law.
OCing a handgun is not legal in Texas, except maybe on private property.
What he said.
Now, if you were at a BBQ at someone's home & they were properly decked out BBQ guns, it'd be OK.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Sorry guy; but, most residents of states within 500 miles of the Kalifornian state line don't like Kalifonians. When the wife and were in town looking for a rental house the car rental company gave us a car with Kalifornia plates, I "felt the love" the whole time we were here.

I feel your pain. I'm in WI, and got stuck with an Illinois rental car. Cops around here target IL plates (and rightfully so. Most of them drive like ****)

Remember, next time talking to a cop its a simple "am I being charged with something" and "am i free to go" that's it, nothing more and nothing less

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ironbar

I'm really beginning to get the feeling that the OP is a troll of some sort. COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: No personal attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

We-the-People

Yup the line about seeing lots of OC in Texas was over the top. Agent provacateur? Ignorant LEO trolling for a bust? Other?

Oh and I've heard lot's of good comments from folks on the street about Warren, even over in Jacksonville, liberal as they are. Gotta love a patriot.

45 Fan

i was born and raised in cali...that really is their mentality most days....bow before the cops......but its probably a stupid person...

virginian45colt

I'm sorry if I've come off as a troll. I'm not, I've just had weird experiences with cops. Calling me a BS artist for seeing open carry in Texas is a little over the top. It was on my families property most of the time I saw OC so that's probably why. I don't appreciate being called stupid or a troll or a BS artist. If you have a problem with me PM me and we'll talk it out. I'm here to learn how to exercise my Constitutional rights. Sorry for the 5th amendment statement. It was over the top. :banghead:

Fallschirjmäger

The only way to exercise one's Constitutional rights is to.. ahem, exercise them. If you do not, then they might as well not exist.
The people of the United States have the right to the free exercise of religion, it's quite okay to be Catholic, Protestant, Judaic, or even Reformed Druid. But if one is afraid to practice Reformed Druidism because he fears the repercussions then RD might as well be a banned religion.

We fought a war to be freed from a tyrannical government, that doesn't mean that tyranny ceased to exist nor that those who are attracted to tyrannical forms of government no longer exist. It just means that the struggle is constant, the struggle is hard, and the struggle must be pursued not only for our own personal freedom but the freedom of those that come after us.

Last edited:

nobama

If you saw people in Texas OCing, you saw people breaking the law. OCing a handgun is not legal in Texas, except maybe on private property. If you don't believe me, go ask in the Texas forum.

This is very true, I lived in Texas for several years and you cannot OC. But I believe you can on your own property.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I'm sorry if I've come off as a troll. I'm not, I've just had weird experiences with cops. Calling me a BS artist for seeing open carry in Texas is a little over the top. It was on my families property most of the time I saw OC so that's probably why. I don't appreciate being called stupid or a troll or a BS artist. If you have a problem with me PM me and we'll talk it out. I'm here to learn how to exercise my Constitutional rights. Sorry for the 5th amendment statement. It was over the top. :banghead:
Everyone makes mistakes. We have a process in Michigan, that we use. It's called "Wash, Rinse, Repeat." Essentially, if you're stopped by a LEO, you keep asking, "Am I being detained?" Also, if you don't have one, you should invest in a small digital audio recorder, one that you can activate easily. Something that allows you to transfer the recording to a computer.

Of course, I don't know what Oregon's laws are regarding stop and ID, or recording a conversation in public, but I'm sure the good people here can tell you if it's legal or not. For more details on Wash, Rinse, Repeat, click on the link and read that article. It may come in handy.

Warren Drouin

Oregon, does not have an "Stop and ID" law. We do have a law on Audio recordings under ORS 165.540.

ORS 165.540 Obtaining contents of communications. (1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 or 133.726 or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:

(c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.

So you must informed all individuals that you are audio recording and try to capture that on your recording device.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Oregon, does not have an "Stop and ID" law. We do have a law on Audio recordings under ORS 165.540.

ORS 165.540 Obtaining contents of communications. (1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 or 133.726 or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:

(c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.

So you must informed all individuals that you are audio recording and try to capture that on your recording device.
We have a law on recording too, but the key is, if there is no expectation of privacy, then only one person needs to know.

TheHossUSMC

Because I almost got arrested for being a suspected gun runner to California. :banghead:
I hang out in my local gun shop and since I have Cali plates and Cali DL since I haven't switched over yet.
Got stopped, asked for ID, gave it. They questioned me about my gun, had me hand it over loaded...( I offered to unload it before handing it over they said no.)ran my serial number and found nothing, since it's not registered and it doesn't have to be in the state of Oregon. At least that's what I'm told by the pro gun good guys. Then they asked me if I go back and forth regularly to Cali, asked if I have bought AR's here and 30 round mags. Ug it's been a bad week. When can you be at the point of it's none of their business? Harassing me is what their doing. Apparently Oregon Sheriff's don't like people from California. :cuss:

Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind would willingly give their ID to the police and submit to an interrogation? Why did you give them your firearm? Why answer questions? Your likely to get yourself landed in prison and you will only have yourself to blame.

marksrig

Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind would willingly give their ID to the police and submit to an interrogation? Why did you give them your firearm? Why answer questions? Your likely to get yourself landed in prison and you will only have yourself to blame.

I believe in oregon when you are driving, you are required to show the officer your ID...he had no choice. He didn't have to answer questions.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Because I almost got arrested for being a suspected gun runner to California. :banghead:
I hang out in my local gun shop and since I have Cali plates and Cali DL since I haven't switched over yet.
Got stopped, asked for ID, gave it. They questioned me about my gun, had me hand it over loaded...( I offered to unload it before handing it over they said no.)ran my serial number and found nothing, since it's not registered and it doesn't have to be in the state of Oregon. At least that's what I'm told by the pro gun good guys. Then they asked me if I go back and forth regularly to Cali, asked if I have bought AR's here and 30 round mags. Ug it's been a bad week. When can you be at the point of it's none of their business? Harassing me is what their doing. Apparently Oregon Sheriff's don't like people from California. :cuss:
If you learn nothing else from this experience, learn this. NEVER disclose to fellow gun owners your experience with the police. (Unless it's a situation where you totally ruled. :) )Sometimes, the results are worse than the police interrogation. They will constantly throw this in your face. Not all of them, but some will.

Everyone likes to talk about what they'd do in "your situation." Problem is, what a lot of them don't see, they will NEVER be in your situation. EVERY police encounter is different. Regardless of the circumstances, regardless of the officer and department involved. They will never have the exact same encounter. It just doesn't work that way.

Assuming you choose to ask questions about a different encounter, I'd render it as a hypothetical situation.

The above is simply my advice. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good Luck,

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I believe in oregon when you are driving, you are required to show the officer your ID...he had no choice. He didn't have to answer questions.
Ok, except he didn't say if he was stopped while in his vehicle or not. So it's an assumption in either direction. But having brought this up now, if I was the OP, I'd say, "Yes, I was in my car when they stopped me, that's why I gave my ID."

But that's just me. :)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

I could be wrong, but my interpretation of Hiibel is that you have to give ID if stopped for an investigation of a crime. If he was stopped because they saw him open carrying before he got into his car, then that's not an investigation of a crime so no ID is required. From Hiibel, "...an officer may not arrest a suspect for failure to identify himself if the identification request is not reasonably related to the circumstances justifying the stop." And as we know from Delaware v. Prouse, an officer can't stop a driver of a car just to see if he is properly licensed: "Except where there is at least articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment."

Thus I concluded that if he was stopped, it must have been for an actual vehicle code violation. A simple, "Why'd you stop me officer?" would give some understanding. If a reason wasn't given then a request for ID could be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.