• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Association of Chiefs of Police and OKOCA

hermannr

Maverick: The state if Washingon does not mandate any personal training to Open Carry (unlicensed), OR Concealed Carry (Licensed)...we view training an individual's Personal responsibility. One size does not fit all, so we allow each individual define what level of training they wishe to have that will gain a good comfort level for their own safety.

Guess what, it's never created a problem here. In all probability, on average, we probably have Better trained licensees in WA than some other states that mandate a particular level of training.

A second item here is a lot of good poor people cannot afford the extra cost of "training" (think of the cost of training for Texas and NM), but those poor people can still protect themseves here. That is more important than anything else don't you think?

I'm not a big fan of CC, unlicensed OC is fine for me (but CC does have it's place, especially in winter) but I am even less of a fan of legal "gotya's" that have no reasonable purpose, so I do have a CPL, just in case I want to wear a coat.

Last edited:

hammer6

The only police officer I know in Oklahoma is a relatively young guy, in his 20s, on the force for about 3 years now.

I asked his thoughts about the law, and he immediately responded that he doesn't like it. It's a knee-jerk response to something new, and there will be a lot of that.

oh come on- that pisses me off now!!! i'll have to give him a piece of my mind!!!

OC for ME

If you are free to go and have business 'there', don't go, you have business there. Make the cop go. Why interrupt your normal comings and goings any more than has already occurred by a uneducated LEO.

In Missouri OC is not illegal, where it has not been made illegal by political subdivisions.

My applicable municipal code.
SECTION 210.250: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE

A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:

6. Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.
Not a defense to the crime of OC, but a exemption from the law.

Any LEO can ask for my CCW endorsement, failure (refusal) to comply with his request is not a crime but I may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed $35.

Oklapatriot

Maybe we should have pushed for all legal CC personnel be issued a "stinkin' badge" that we could wear on our belt when open carrying. A BIG gold badge with our permit number engraved on it. Wouldn't that piss off the law enforcement guys? That way we could clearly identify ourselves as legal gun packing citizens. That would also allow some of us to utter the famous words "Badge?, I don't need no stinking badge."

maverick1125

I can't wait until Nov 1. All this talk and pounding your chest on the internet is all good and fun until reality sets in and you are standing there in cuffs demanding your rights only to find out the cop is planning to make stuff up to make himself look good and you bad since it's their word against yours.

Those that say we need to stand up for our rights are probably the same ones that think it's ok to delete posts and deny someone 1st amendment rights.

See just like the cops we have cyber cops that if you say something they don't like they can use their authority to do do whatever they want since they are now emotionally involved.

Thanks for proving my point.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Those that say we need to stand up for our rights are probably the same ones that think it's ok to delete posts and deny someone 1st amendment rights.

The 1st Amendment, like the others, is a restriction on the government not on individuals or owners of private property. Make no mistake OCDO is private property and narrowly focused on open carry and to a lesser degree RKBA.

By using this forum, you irrevocably agree to the terms and conditions of the Forum Rules which include rule #2
(2) RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion.

A lot of these misunderstandings could be avoided if everyone would read and stay up to date of both the TOS and the intent of such.

Bullbuster

The fact that open carry has been in the news a lot not only on TV but the papers as well is certainly getting the word out that come Nov 1st your going to see people out and about who are carrying and not to be concerned with it. This alone will mellow a majority of the public panic due to the publicity vs the shock of it just happening. For a long time to come 911 calls will be made and nothing can be done about that. It happens in every state that has OC but the key is that those taking the call and those responding to the call know how to react.
I've said it many times already invest in a small pocket recorder or know how to quickly turn on your phones voice recorder and record the encounter you have with a LEO provided you even have one. The your word against his takes on a whole new meaning when it's being recorded. Furthermore they have no grounds to take the recording or require you to delete it. Many OC lawsuits and tickets have been won and or dropped because of the recoded evidence.
I do think being proactive is a good thing but being pushy proactive isn't.

hammer6

Maybe we should have pushed for all legal CC personnel be issued a "stinkin' badge" that we could wear on our belt when open carrying. A BIG gold badge with our permit number engraved on it. Wouldn't that piss off the law enforcement guys? That way we could clearly identify ourselves as legal gun packing citizens. That would also allow some of us to utter the famous words "Badge?, I don't need no stinking badge."

sarcasm, right?

bellyfat

comonplace

if open carry becomes commonplace then; some criminals may resort to open carry just to throw the cops off.
therefore if o.c. goes unchallenged by leo a criminal could slip under the radar of leo and store clerks, pedestrians, etc.
a wolf in sheeps clothing.....think about it. how inconveiniant is it to show your permit? no different than showing your drivers licence in a traffic stop.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
if open carry becomes commonplace then; some criminals may resort to open carry just to throw the cops off.
therefore if o.c. goes unchallenged by leo a criminal could slip under the radar of leo and store clerks, pedestrians, etc.
a wolf in sheeps clothing.....think about it. how inconveiniant is it to show your permit? no different than showing your drivers licence in a traffic stop.

Another interesting, but fantastical theory that hasn't happened in any other state where OC is practiced. I have no reason to believe that Oklahoma will be any different.

Last edited:

bellyfat

to okybryan

cangrats to ok citizens for geting some of your rights restored. i do beleive in oc.
my state is a golden state although i rarely se an oc. and sometimes do an oc.
im not required to have a permit to oc and glad of it but, at the same time im not inclined to be confrontational towards leo.
i do have also a cc permit. my theory is if leo gets tired of checking o.k. permits and has a positive encounter with them then,
it will become a non issue for them, without building walls. leo and oc'rs have the same objective. to discourage and eliminate crime.
i do hope someday o.k. will have golden state status. best to all sooners.

hrdware

During a traffic stop, you have already committed a crime. Why should I be treated like a criminal and be forced to ID myself to the authorities when I have committed no crime?

hermannr

Doesn't happen...those that are up to no-good hide their weapons...for the same reasons the CC crowd like to conceal. (surprise surprise)

We (WA) have had unlicensed OC since our state constitution was written, as has OR and ID...no OC by criminals...it just does not happen...and I have OC'd, unmolested by the LE crowd since 1970. I have never been asked for my license (as none is required for OC) and I have never volunteered it...why should I? It is a totally legal unlicensed activity.

I asked a contractor for the state if anything was in her contract about OC weapons in her place of business...she said, don't know, never looked, but people OC in here all the time.

Last edited:

hermannr

During a traffic stop, you have already committed a crime. Why should I be treated like a criminal and be forced to ID myself to the authorities when I have committed no crime?

Crime? traffic stop? don't you mean you have NOT committed a crime (unless you are DUI). Traffic VIOLATIONS are not crimes in that sense.

hrdware

Crime? traffic stop? don't you mean you have NOT committed a crime (unless you are DUI). Traffic VIOLATIONS are not crimes in that sense.

Ok then,

During a traffic stop, you have already violated a law. Why should I be treated as if I have violated a law when I haven't?

MKEgal

maverick1125 said:
All this talk and pounding your chest on the internet is all good and fun until reality sets in and you are standing there in cuffs demanding your rights only to find out the cop is planning to make stuff up to make himself look good and you bad since it's their word against yours.
It's happened to me several times.
That's one reason to have a recorder,
and to have a couple good lawyers - one for criminal defense, one for the civil rights violations.

Yes, those dedicated, trustworthy, honest, upstanding citizens employed as LEO lie & cheat & steal.
(Not all of them, no, but they all wear the same uniform, so how do you know which is which when they approach you?)
Heck, a video I made of the denial of an open records request by the PD proved in no uncertain terms that the sworn statements from their employees were lies. Wonder where I can learn about what their punishment for perjury was?

bellyfat said:
Hasn't happened elsewhere.
Criminals have other problems they can't hide from police, giving RAS for a stop no matter if they're OC or not, so why attract attention? They want to hide, like the cockroaches they are.

bellyfat said:
how inconveiniant is it to show your permit?
no different than showing your drivers licence in a traffic stop.
Since it's illegal to stop a car just to check a driver's license, it's illegal to stop someone OC just to check a carry license.
Simply being armed does NOT provide RAS of a crime. [see below]
If the driver did something that could result in a ticket or arrest, it's legal to also demand a license.
If the armed citizen did something that could result in a ticket or arrest, it's legal to also demand a license.

And even if it were OK, how many times a day is too many?
If every stop "only" takes 10 minutes, and you're stopped at the bank, at the grocery, at the pharmacy, at the restaurant where you're eating dinner, at the movies after dinner, that's nearly an hour.
All by different cops, none of them know you, either they don't know you were stopped before or they don't care or they're targeting you because they don't like LACs.
It's just as unreasonable to do to someone who's exercising a Constitutionally-protected civil right as it is to do to someone who's driving in a legal manner.

"The Claim and exercise of a Constitutional Right cannot be converted into a crime."
Miller v. U.S. , 230 F 2d 486. 489

"The mere presence of firearms does not create exigent circumstances."
Wisconsin v. Kiekhefer, 212 Wis. 2d 460, 569 N.W.2d 316 (Ct. App. 1997), 96-2052.

“Selective prosecution when referring to the decision to prosecute in retaliation for the exercise of a constitutional right gives rise to an actionable right under the constitution."
County of Kenosha v. C. & S. Management, Inc. 223 Wis. 2d 373, 588 N.W.2d 236 (1999), 97−0642.

"Stopping a car for no other reason than to check the license and registration was unreasonable under the 4th amendment."
Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979).

Here's an essay which discusses why police can't stop someone simply for carrying.

"Mr. St. John’s lawful possession of a loaded firearm in a crowded place could not, by itself, create a reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify an investigatory detention."
St. John v. McColley

The Third Circuit found that an individual’s lawful possession of a firearm in a crowded place did not justify a search or seizure.
United States v. Ubiles, 224 F.3d 213 (3rd Cir. 2000)

The Tenth Circuit found that an investigatory detention initiated by an officer after he discovered that the defendant lawfully possessed a loaded firearm lacked sufficient basis because the firearm alone did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.
United States v. King, 990 F.2d 1552 (10th Cir. 1993)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost" can be applied to any of the Amendments, including the 4th Amendment.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against [highlight]unreasonable searches and seizures[/highlight], shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Levant

Or cops could stop everyone on every street for any reason at all and ask for their papers. Otherwise, a criminal could slip under the radar of leo and store clerks and pedestrians, etc. A wolf in any clothing. Think about it. How inconvenient is it to show your papers when asked? No different than showing your drivers license in a traffic stop - other than now they don't even have to stop you for a reason. It's for your own good. For the Chil'ren.

Levant

Besides, why would that throw a cop off? A cop should make no assumptions of guilt or innocence based on whether someone has a gun or does not. They should make decisions on circumstances and evidence. A smoking gun, for instance, is evidence. A holstered gun may not be.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Besides, why would that throw a cop off? A cop should make no assumptions of guilt or innocence based on whether someone has a gun or does not. They should make decisions on circumstances and evidence. A smoking gun, for instance, is evidence. A holstered gun may not be.

Most repeat offenders (felons) are known to local LEOs - for them to OC is to make a concentrated plea to be arrested and incarcerated. Besides how many criminals do we know that advertise?