• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Attorneys

Evan

I am an attorney, and gun owner, based in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am looking to link up with other attorneys who have an interest in firearms law.

I am currently researching our state constitutional right to bear arms (Mich Const Art.1, Sec. 6) as it relates to the prohibition against "brandishing" firearms. (MCL 750.234e) There seems to be very little case law in these regards. I know the statue has been constitutionally challenged for vagueness, but the one lower court ruling that this law is unconstitutional, that I am aware of, was reversed on appeal in People v Finley in 1997 (in unpublished opinion no. 199871).

AG Opinion #7101 issued on 2002 seems to offer some guidance, but is ostensibly limited to "peace officers" carrying while off duty.

Given the uncertainty about what constitutes brandishing (as evidenced by the stories of unnecessary confrontations with police found in these forums), it seems clarification is in order. Does anyone know of any pending cases either challenging the constitutionality of MCL 750.234e or further clarifying what it means to "brandish"?

Thank you.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I am an attorney, and gun owner, based in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am looking to link up with other attorneys who have an interest in firearms law.

I am currently researching our state constitutional right to bear arms (Mich Const Art.1, Sec. 6) as it relates to the prohibition against "brandishing" firearms. (MCL 750.234e) There seems to be very little case law in these regards. I know the statue has been constitutionally challenged for vagueness, but the one lower court ruling that this law is unconstitutional, that I am aware of, was reversed on appeal in People v Finley in 1997 (in unpublished opinion no. 199871).

AG Opinion #7101 issued on 2002 seems to offer some guidance, but is ostensibly limited to "peace officers" carrying while off duty.

Given the uncertainty about what constitutes brandishing (as evidenced by the stories of unnecessary confrontations with police found in these forums), it seems clarification is in order. Does anyone know of any pending cases either challenging the constitutionality of MCL 750.234e or further clarifying what it means to "brandish"?

Thank you.
Welcome to OCDO. I look forward to your posts.