• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Columbus Ohio

yellow2004gto

Hi all new to this forum and after doing a lot of reading and learning I'm ready to practice my rights to open carry.I need a recorder first and do more reading and learning.I am getting ready for my CCW class in a week or two.I don't want sound like I'm beating dead horse Ohio is an open carry loaded .

MyWifeSaidYes

It sounded like you were cut off mid-thought.

Welcome to OCDO.

Ohio is, indeed, an open-carry state. It is legal to have an openly carried firearm loaded, with a round in the chamber.

There ARE restrictions on ownership and possession, as well as restrictions on where you can carry. As long as you are not subject to any of those restrictions, you are good to go.

Open carry in Columbus, heck, most of central Ohio seems to be a non-issue. The police and sheriffs are aware of the laws and seem to follow them.

Have fun!

And definitely get that voice recorder.

N605TW

Activist Member
I have only been stopped by Columbus Police once. The encounter lasted less than a minute. No guns were pulled, no ID demanded, no handcuffs and we parted ways with a hand shake. As long as you follow the rules Columbus is a great place to open carry.

jimpen

Just remember that in Ohio, without a CCW, you can't have a loaded magazine in a vehicle, let alone a chambered round. Walking down the street is legal, getting in a car without a CHL while OCing is illegal.

Contact your representative about HB495 (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8278).

It doesn't fix it, but helps.

brood

Excited Ohioan

I am a curious Ohian who has been feeling like the Constitiution actually supercedes state law and it gives me the right to bear arms (no, not a sleeveless shirt) I never tried it out, but thought about it. Now you say nothing would have happened anyway. : ) Anyhow, my question is, where can I find the full written law so I can read it? So, if I want to carry openly outside of my neighborhood, I have to empty the magazine to put it in my car and then load it up again when I get where I'm going, and then reverse the process when I go back home? And, last but not least....what is the voice recorder for...exactly? I'm so glad I found this site....I am looking forward to stretching my rights as an American citizen. Thank you all in advance.

eye95

If you are looking for a law that says that you can carry a firearm openly, you won't find it. It does not exist in Ohio.

Start with Ohio Revised Code 9.68. It reiterates the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, prohibits local governments from making gun law, and specifically states that the only lawful gun law in Ohio is State and federal law. State and federal law do not list what you may do, only that which you may not do. Again, nowhere in those laws will you find a prohibition on carrying a firearm openly.

You will find Ohio law that says that you must have a permission slip to conceal the firearm. You will find a law that says you must have that permission slip to carry in you car. That law will tell you how to transport your gun in your car if you do not have the permission slip (basically, unloaded firearm in a closed container, loaded magazine in a separately closing container). You will find law that says without a permission slip, you may not carry in most places that sell alcohol or within 1000 feet of a school. You will find laws that bar carry in some locations with or without the permission slip, for example, courtrooms and courthouses.

But, nowhere will you see a law stating that you may not strap on a gun and walk down main street. You may even enter the premises of another while so strapped, as long as they don't have a prominently displayed gun-buster sign or don't ask you to leave.

However, do not take my word or anyone else's for what the law says. It is your ass that you are risking. Read the law for yourself.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
What eye95 is telling you is Ohio law is convoluted. You can read one section of law that says it's "white" and then read another section that says it's "black," a total contradiction.

MyWifeSaidYes

I am a curious Ohian who has been feeling like the Constitiution actually supercedes state law and it gives me the right to bear arms (no, not a sleeveless shirt) I never tried it out, but thought about it. Now you say nothing would have happened anyway. : ) Anyhow, my question is, where can I find the full written law so I can read it? So, if I want to carry openly outside of my neighborhood, I have to empty the magazine to put it in my car and then load it up again when I get where I'm going, and then reverse the process when I go back home? And, last but not least....what is the voice recorder for...exactly? I'm so glad I found this site....I am looking forward to stretching my rights as an American citizen. Thank you all in advance.

The laws of the state can be found at http://codes.ohio.gov

You no longer have to unload your magazine, only remove the magazine from the gun as well as empty the chamber. eye95 already stated how to store the gun and ammo separately.

The voice recorder is for when you find that one cop who does not know, or does not like, the laws regarding open carry. You will want evidence of how you are treated. If you do not understand why this is important, you may want to search YouTube for "canton" and "harless".