• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No CCW permit - What are M.S. rules for carrying in car/glove compartment?

Midwest

Hi, I'm thinking about visiting Tunica.

I live in KY, but do not yet have a CCW permit. (Here they call them CDWL.) Here in KY we are allowed to have a loaded handgun in the glove compartment, center console or in any part of the car that is factory installed with no CCW permit ...KY does not consider it being concealed.

I checked Tennessee's laws and it says the handgun cannot be loaded, but it didn't really say it could or could not be in the glove compartment unloaded. Still unsure about that. Can anyone answer that one even though this is a Mississippi section?

What are Mississippi's laws regarding carrying in a car, loaded or unloaded without a CCW permit? Is it permitted? What about the glove compartment? Center Console?

I did look at some threads here and checked Gary Slider's handgunlaw.us, I did not locate anything that addressed this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Wyldhog

According to my brother, who is a police officer in Ms, your car is considered an extension of your home and legal to carry in your glovebox.

4angrybadgers

First off, in general it's a horrible idea to rely on the word of a LEO as to the legality of an action. Just look around this forum for a while and you'll see how stunningly ignorant of the law - or even maliciously misleading - police officers can be.

Now in this case, the police officer quoted was correct. However it behooves you to know the law yourself, especially when it regards the bearing of arms. The Mississippi code, section 97-37-1, defines the crime of concealed carry of "deadly weapons". Near the bottom, however, is the exemption for concealed carry in your own home, business, or vehicle:
(2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

I strongly encourage everyone who hasn't read all the MS statues regarding weapons and deadly force, to read them, starting with the link above.

Nascar24Glock

Hi, I'm thinking about visiting Tunica.

I live in KY, but do not yet have a CCW permit. (Here they call them CDWL.) Here in KY we are allowed to have a loaded handgun in the glove compartment, center console or in any part of the car that is factory installed with no CCW permit ...KY does not consider it being concealed.

I checked Tennessee's laws and it says the handgun cannot be loaded, but it didn't really say it could or could not be in the glove compartment unloaded. Still unsure about that. Can anyone answer that one even though this is a Mississippi section?

What are Mississippi's laws regarding carrying in a car, loaded or unloaded without a CCW permit? Is it permitted? What about the glove compartment? Center Console?

I did look at some threads here and checked Gary Slider's handgunlaw.us, I did not locate anything that addressed this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Like the others said, you can carry in your car any way you wish while in Mississippi (except randomly waving it around at people, of course :uhoh:).

However, I did want to comment about carry in Tennessee. In general, any carry whatsoever (in car/on foot, open/concealed, etc.) is illegal without a permit. Also, if transporting it in a car, neither the gun nor ammunition can be "readily accessible" to anyone in the passenger compartment. To err on the side of caution, I recommend keeping the ammo and gun in a separate container. Also, put both in the trunk if your car has one. If it does not, put a lock on both the box with the gun and the box with the ammo, and put both in the back seat.

However, I should note that Tennessee does recognize all out of state permits, even if you are not a resident of the issuing state. I have heard that Florida's permit and Arizona's permit are relatively easy to get and have pretty good reciprocity coverage. If you are 18 or older but under 21, you could get New Hampshire's or Maine's permit. Either way, if it will be a few weeks before you make your trip, you may want to look into getting one of those permits and thereby not have to worry about carrying in Tennessee.

DWCook

Activist Member
I wish Kansas allowed people to carry their weapon in the car loaded like in Missouri. We have to get our CCW's if we want to carry a loaded firearm in the car. If not we have to separate the ammo and weapon to opposite sides of the car pretty much to be legal.