Thread: Concealed weapon holder stops a shooting

Concealed weapon holder stops a shooting

Was driving to a patients house a few minutes ago and I heard on the radio that there was a shooting in a Safeway Parkinglot here in Yakima. I do not have a source at the moment but I will find it when I get home. The current information that I have is that durin the shooting, a cpl holder drew down on the attacker and was able to stop the shooting from continuing without having to fire a shot himself. The victim survived, and I doubt this would be the case without this currently unnamed individual exercising his right to carry a firearm to protect himself and others. Will find something to cite as soon as I can.

Good catch....here is the story...

YAKIMA, Wash. (AP) ó A man who witnessed a shooting in a Yakima parking lot pulled his own gun and intervened.Witnesses say Andrew Schilperoort prevented another shot from being fired.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...#ixzz1xtLm9Ctc
    Live Free or Die!

Thanks for the story.
    I carry a Para Ordance 1911 .45 ACP.

The Seattle PI must be mistaken, according to Hand Gun Control this kind of thing never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

It sounds like this guy did a great job but one thing gets me.
    From the article:

"He showed me a permit, which Iím pretty sure had a Harrah address on it," Schilperoort said. "I turned away for a moment and he was gone. So I donít know. Kind of bizarre."

So he watches the shooting and knows it wasn't justified then he turns away from the guy he drew down on? He is very lucky the guy didn't shoot him. Why would you take your eyes and weapon off the threat?
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Shopper intervenes in Safeway shooting

YAKIMA, Wash. -- The wounded man was down, screaming for help, and the man with the gun looked like he might not be done shooting.

Thatís when Andrew Schilperoort, who had just pulled into the parking lot of the Safeway store on Yakimaís North Fifth Avenue, put his pistol and concealed-weapons permit to good use.

"I screamed at him to stop," Schilperoort said. "The guy with the gun is telling me heís got a permit, like that explains everything. Iím like, ĎWhat the hellís going on?!í"

What was going on is that Schilperoort had just witnessed one man attempt to resolve a dispute over a cellphone by shooting another man in broad daylight outside a busy grocery store.
    The Yakima Herald Republic did a pretty good job on the story and what I see as an issue, both the shooter and the one interweaving had CPL's and the shooter apparently was trying to use the fact that he had a CPL as being some how justified in shooting a man over a cell phone!

I am sure that the anti's or some news agencies will climb on that band wagon about "he was licensed to carry" and somehow distort the fact that the one who stopped the aggression was as well a license holder. It is the actions of one that will determine if they law abiding not the license or the use of a firearm.

Many including myself have used the term of law abiding citizen on different occasions though we must separate the idea having a CPL makes you one, it doesn't but our actions do.
    Andrew showed restraint in not going beyond what was needed in that situation, some may criticize or praise him but he did not expect to be in that position though his actions likely saved a mans life that was threatened all because of a cell phone.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

"<snip>... used the term of law abiding citizen on different occasions though we must separate the idea having a CPL makes you one, it doesn't but our actions do."

The media was talking about "Law-abiding illegal immigrants" recently... so i guess anything goes.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Interesting part of article

In a news release, police said an investigation revealed the gunman and the victim apparently knew each other and met in the parking lot to resolve a dispute over the cellphone.

They said the gunman was about 5-foot-11 and was wearing a green shirt and blue pants.

Anyone with information about the gunmanís possible identity should call the police
    If the victim knew the shooter, you'd think that he'd be telling the police.

Question for the forum:

If the shooter still had his gun pointed at the victim, and it appeared that he wasn't done shooting, would you shoot to stop the attack??? The articles indicate that other observers felt he wasn't done shooting and might have been getting ready to finish the job.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Question for the forum:

If the shooter still had his gun pointed at the victim, and it appeared that he wasn't done shooting, would you shoot to stop the attack??? The articles indicate that other observers felt he wasn't done shooting and might have been getting ready to finish the job.
    Taking into account of seeing the shooting, stopping, drawing his weapon, yelling out to stop, the answer is yes if his actions that he was going to continue the attack while the victim was on the ground and defenseless, yelling for help.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Taking into account of seeing the shooting, stopping, drawing his weapon, yelling out to stop, the answer is yes if his actions that he was going to continue the attack while the victim was on the ground and defenseless, yelling for help.
    +1!

What I find amazing though, is even after this happened, and, as far as I know, the gunman is still loose, I would make myself a bit harder to find online, perhaps by making my facebook account private? I wouldn't want to make it easy for a gunman to perhaps do a search and come after ME after stopping something like this.

Pretty heroic story. I feel these kinds of people need to be seen more, because they ARE true heroes (Just as our military troops are).

Can anyone tell me what having a CPL has to do with this whole story? IMHO, not one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Can anyone tell me what having a CPL has to do with this whole story? IMHO, not one thing.
    Nope can't tell ya, well if I did I would have to shoot you afterwards

I and well I imagine many others including yourself have been in discussions with others when the statement comes up, I'm Licensed, as if it really ads any validity to possessing a firearm.

I am sure we all know that having a CPL is that we meet the requirements to have one, nothing more or nothing less. Yes of course since some restrictions have been added it does help on a couple of issues but has no meaning as to any qualification concerning knowledge or ability with a firearm.

Pst, don't tell the media or anti's it will just confuse the h3ll out of them!

Ceasefire has publicly stated that they intend to stop CPLs from being issued in the state. (I'd find the link but I'm lazy. It was posted here on the Washington forum somewhere.) I expect that the CPL is going to be dragged into every shooting story in the state whether or not anyone involved had one. "Even though he didn't have one, he would have qualified for a CPL under state law. A rather chilling thought."
    Last edited by Levi; 06-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Ceasefire has publicly stated that they intend to stop CPLs from being issued in the state. (I'd find the link but I'm lazy. It was posted here on the Washington forum somewhere.) I expect that the CPL is going to be dragged into every shooting story in the state whether or not anyone involved had one. "Even though he didn't have one, he would have qualified for a CPL under state law. A rather chilling thought."
    From what I read on this, they both had a CPL.

I do not disagree with the concept, anti's will try and highlight the issue that some of these recent shootings had a CPL which is nothing more then saying at the point of applying for one there were no violations until the encounters.

It simply boils down to, is the actions of the person, not the tool used.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    It simply boils down to, is the actions of the person, not the tool used.
    Car, hammer, chainsaw, lighter fluid... shoes, rocks, I could injure or kill someone with any of those. I don't know why "they" are not trying to ban concealed rocks. Or the nail clippers I couldn't take on a plane for years.

I remember now! Because banning them only helps those individuals who don't give a flying rat butt what the law says, and if they ever did the logical (bizarre left wing, power hungry, state dependency, etc. logical) thing and banned or attempted to ban everything that people could use to inflict harm on another person... people who realize very fast that this is insane, or they would end up naked and without any form of possessions.

Unfortunately the government attempts to play on people's lack of understanding, or intentional ignorance.

Safeway parking lot shooting suspect surrenders

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Yakima police say they have the man wanted for Thursday's shooting in a Safeway parking lot.

Captain Rod Light issued a statement that the suspect turned himself in to the police department on Saturday and that he will likely be charged with first degree assault. He will make his first court appearance this week.
    Wonder if we will get the rest of the story?
    Last edited by BigDave; 06-18-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Safeway shooting suspect in custody

According to her statement, the daughter said her father's cellphone was stolen Wednesday, and that he had called the number and made arrangements with a man who answered and agreed to return the device for $100.

The daughter said her father and mother went to Yakima to get the phone back and returned in an agitated state.

She said her father told her he had shot a large man with tattoos after the man demanded money for the return of the cellphone and then reached into his pocket.

The daughter said her father fired because he was afraid the man was going for a gun. When the man fell, her father's cellphone tumbled to the ground, the daughter said.

A spokesman for the police department said Lepe turned himself in Saturday. It did not appear from the probable-cause affidavit that he gave a statement.
    I suspected as much it had to do with a prior theft of a phone and then being extorted to get it back.
    The people that do this are scum bags and law enforcement should have been contacted and sought their assistance.

If this was to be a self defense shooting, the shooter needed to stay put and not run as it will automatically appear to be of wrong doing and the possibility of evidence disappearing such as some type of weapon.

It also would not be hard for law enforcement to determine if the one who was shot had the stolen phone.
    Last edited by BigDave; 06-19-2012 at 01:36 PM.

+1
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

I believe that Ceasefire is pushing to make CPLs in Washington state part of every firearms related story as part of their effort to to stop them from being issued. A few months ago, someone posted a public statement they made that it was their intention. Essentially, they want to outlaw open carry and make WA a may issue rather than a shall issue state to effectively disarm the public.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Just came across KIMA TV the shooter in this incident is being released and not being charged.
    It appears law enforcement has looked into this incident with him turning himself in and claiming Self Defense.

Safeway shooting charges dropped
    Last edited by BigDave; 06-20-2012 at 10:29 PM.

I heard that this afternoon as well. If it was indeed self defense thenI applaud the YPD for being thorough. I'd love to see if safeways CCTV was able to catch any of this. I'll hold my personal opinion asNfor now pending further investigation. Regardless of any findings I still hold out that the cpl holder made the right choice in stopping what appeared to him and all of he other witnesses to be an attempt on the life of an unarmed man screaming for help on the pavement.

Once again. Sorry for the spelling formatting etc errors. Phone is not the best way to post for me