• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed weapon holder stops a shooting

Blueslant

Was driving to a patients house a few minutes ago and I heard on the radio that there was a shooting in a Safeway Parkinglot here in Yakima. I do not have a source at the moment but I will find it when I get home. The current information that I have is that durin the shooting, a cpl holder drew down on the attacker and was able to stop the shooting from continuing without having to fire a shot himself. The victim survived, and I doubt this would be the case without this currently unnamed individual exercising his right to carry a firearm to protect himself and others. Will find something to cite as soon as I can.

decklin

It sounds like this guy did a great job but one thing gets me.
From the article:

"He showed me a permit, which I’m pretty sure had a Harrah address on it," Schilperoort said. "I turned away for a moment and he was gone. So I don’t know. Kind of bizarre."

So he watches the shooting and knows it wasn't justified then he turns away from the guy he drew down on? He is very lucky the guy didn't shoot him. Why would you take your eyes and weapon off the threat?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Shopper intervenes in Safeway shooting

YAKIMA, Wash. -- The wounded man was down, screaming for help, and the man with the gun looked like he might not be done shooting.

That’s when Andrew Schilperoort, who had just pulled into the parking lot of the Safeway store on Yakima’s North Fifth Avenue, put his pistol and concealed-weapons permit to good use.

"I screamed at him to stop," Schilperoort said. "The guy with the gun is telling me he’s got a permit, like that explains everything. I’m like, ‘What the hell’s going on?!’"

What was going on is that Schilperoort had just witnessed one man attempt to resolve a dispute over a cellphone by shooting another man in broad daylight outside a busy grocery store.

The Yakima Herald Republic did a pretty good job on the story and what I see as an issue, both the shooter and the one interweaving had CPL's and the shooter apparently was trying to use the fact that he had a CPL as being some how justified in shooting a man over a cell phone!

I am sure that the anti's or some news agencies will climb on that band wagon about "he was licensed to carry" and somehow distort the fact that the one who stopped the aggression was as well a license holder. It is the actions of one that will determine if they law abiding not the license or the use of a firearm.

Many including myself have used the term of law abiding citizen on different occasions though we must separate the idea having a CPL makes you one, it doesn't but our actions do.
Andrew showed restraint in not going beyond what was needed in that situation, some may criticize or praise him but he did not expect to be in that position though his actions likely saved a mans life that was threatened all because of a cell phone.

Batousaii

"<snip>... used the term of law abiding citizen on different occasions though we must separate the idea having a CPL makes you one, it doesn't but our actions do."

The media was talking about "Law-abiding illegal immigrants" recently... so i guess anything goes.

amlevin

Interesting part of article

In a news release, police said an investigation revealed the gunman and the victim apparently knew each other and met in the parking lot to resolve a dispute over the cellphone.

They said the gunman was about 5-foot-11 and was wearing a green shirt and blue pants.

Anyone with information about the gunman’s possible identity should call the police

If the victim knew the shooter, you'd think that he'd be telling the police.

Question for the forum:

If the shooter still had his gun pointed at the victim, and it appeared that he wasn't done shooting, would you shoot to stop the attack??? The articles indicate that other observers felt he wasn't done shooting and might have been getting ready to finish the job.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Question for the forum:

If the shooter still had his gun pointed at the victim, and it appeared that he wasn't done shooting, would you shoot to stop the attack??? The articles indicate that other observers felt he wasn't done shooting and might have been getting ready to finish the job.

Taking into account of seeing the shooting, stopping, drawing his weapon, yelling out to stop, the answer is yes if his actions that he was going to continue the attack while the victim was on the ground and defenseless, yelling for help.

modernknight

Taking into account of seeing the shooting, stopping, drawing his weapon, yelling out to stop, the answer is yes if his actions that he was going to continue the attack while the victim was on the ground and defenseless, yelling for help.

+1!

What I find amazing though, is even after this happened, and, as far as I know, the gunman is still loose, I would make myself a bit harder to find online, perhaps by making my facebook account private? ;) I wouldn't want to make it easy for a gunman to perhaps do a search and come after ME after stopping something like this.

Pretty heroic story. I feel these kinds of people need to be seen more, because they ARE true heroes (Just as our military troops are).

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Can anyone tell me what having a CPL has to do with this whole story? IMHO, not one thing.

Nope can't tell ya, well if I did I would have to shoot you afterwards :lol:

I and well I imagine many others including yourself have been in discussions with others when the statement comes up, I'm Licensed, as if it really ads any validity to possessing a firearm.

I am sure we all know that having a CPL is that we meet the requirements to have one, nothing more or nothing less. Yes of course since some restrictions have been added it does help on a couple of issues but has no meaning as to any qualification concerning knowledge or ability with a firearm.

Pst, don't tell the media or anti's it will just confuse the h3ll out of them! :lol:

Levi

Can anyone tell me what having a CPL has to do with this whole story? IMHO, not one thing.

Ceasefire has publicly stated that they intend to stop CPLs from being issued in the state. (I'd find the link but I'm lazy. It was posted here on the Washington forum somewhere.) I expect that the CPL is going to be dragged into every shooting story in the state whether or not anyone involved had one. "Even though he didn't have one, he would have qualified for a CPL under state law. A rather chilling thought."

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Ceasefire has publicly stated that they intend to stop CPLs from being issued in the state. (I'd find the link but I'm lazy. It was posted here on the Washington forum somewhere.) I expect that the CPL is going to be dragged into every shooting story in the state whether or not anyone involved had one. "Even though he didn't have one, he would have qualified for a CPL under state law. A rather chilling thought."

From what I read on this, they both had a CPL.

I do not disagree with the concept, anti's will try and highlight the issue that some of these recent shootings had a CPL which is nothing more then saying at the point of applying for one there were no violations until the encounters.

It simply boils down to, is the actions of the person, not the tool used.

Blueslant

It simply boils down to, is the actions of the person, not the tool used.

Car, hammer, chainsaw, lighter fluid... shoes, rocks, I could injure or kill someone with any of those. I don't know why "they" are not trying to ban concealed rocks. Or the nail clippers I couldn't take on a plane for years.

I remember now! Because banning them only helps those individuals who don't give a flying rat butt what the law says, and if they ever did the logical (bizarre left wing, power hungry, state dependency, etc. logical) thing and banned or attempted to ban everything that people could use to inflict harm on another person... people who realize very fast that this is insane, or they would end up naked and without any form of possessions.

Unfortunately the government attempts to play on people's lack of understanding, or intentional ignorance.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Safeway parking lot shooting suspect surrenders

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Yakima police say they have the man wanted for Thursday's shooting in a Safeway parking lot.

Captain Rod Light issued a statement that the suspect turned himself in to the police department on Saturday and that he will likely be charged with first degree assault. He will make his first court appearance this week.

Wonder if we will get the rest of the story?

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Safeway shooting suspect in custody

According to her statement, the daughter said her father's cellphone was stolen Wednesday, and that he had called the number and made arrangements with a man who answered and agreed to return the device for $100.

The daughter said her father and mother went to Yakima to get the phone back and returned in an agitated state.

She said her father told her he had shot a large man with tattoos after the man demanded money for the return of the cellphone and then reached into his pocket.

The daughter said her father fired because he was afraid the man was going for a gun. When the man fell, her father's cellphone tumbled to the ground, the daughter said.

A spokesman for the police department said Lepe turned himself in Saturday. It did not appear from the probable-cause affidavit that he gave a statement.

I suspected as much it had to do with a prior theft of a phone and then being extorted to get it back.
The people that do this are scum bags and law enforcement should have been contacted and sought their assistance.

If this was to be a self defense shooting, the shooter needed to stay put and not run as it will automatically appear to be of wrong doing and the possibility of evidence disappearing such as some type of weapon.

It also would not be hard for law enforcement to determine if the one who was shot had the stolen phone.

Last edited:

Levi

I believe that Ceasefire is pushing to make CPLs in Washington state part of every firearms related story as part of their effort to to stop them from being issued. A few months ago, someone posted a public statement they made that it was their intention. Essentially, they want to outlaw open carry and make WA a may issue rather than a shall issue state to effectively disarm the public.