• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative LEO contact at harris teeter

J_Oliver

Yeah I told him I understood the HT robberies and that that was the reason I was carrying myself. I also told him that I have never heard of a criminal OC and walking right infront of a LEO. Mind you I'm wearing a polo and shorts so I'm dressed nicely. He said that it could be a tactic so people will think I'm not up to no good. I literally just chuckled when he said that. How do I find out who his Sargent is?

I'm assuming you got his name (you did get his nam, right?). Call and ask for officer obie's supervisor. I know a ton of officers in chapel hill and they know ill call them out on BS real quick.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Lawmaker

Yes several of the HT's have been robbed late at night. I heard that all of them are closing at 10pm now. I would just mail one of the OC pamphlets to the officer and the training officer at the PD.

papa bear

i think you are least due an apology, and the LEO also, tried to get you criminally charged with trespass by going to the manager and getting him to file on you. i think a strongly worded letter to a high up is in order

moonie

If it is the one at Skeet Club/Wendover Westchester let me know, I'll have a talk with the night manager, he is the BF of the daughter of one of my best friends... I'll get that sorted right quick, and he lives right around the corner from me. I take his GF to church on some Sundays, she is like another daughter to me.

kcGlock19

If it is the one at Skeet Club/Wendover Westchester let me know, I'll have a talk with the night manager, he is the BF of the daughter of one of my best friends... I'll get that sorted right quick, and he lives right around the corner from me. I take his GF to church on some Sundays, she is like another daughter to me.

No it was the one near Adams Farm.

Heres the email I got back from HT

Thank you for your email. We do not have any policies against handguns in our store locations. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. We have also posted full time security in our stores to keep our associates and customers safe. Thank you for being our customer!

Sincerely,

Brandie
Harris Teeter Customer Relations

So I will probably go tomorrow and talk to the store manager about how his night manager turned down a paying customer and made up a company policy.

I I have decided to try to meet up one on one with the LEO and talk about how I'm upset on how he handled it and see how that goes. I printed out the NC firearms statues and the case for Gatttotp. If that doesn't go well then I will file a complaint. I figured that might help OCers and LEO get along instead of being out to get each other.

muccione

I I have decided to try to meet up one on one with the LEO and talk about how I'm upset on how he handled it and see how that goes. I printed out the NC firearms statues and the case for Gatttotp. If that doesn't go well then I will file a complaint. I figured that might help OCers and LEO get along instead of being out to get each other.

Screw talking to the cop one on one. (record it if you do) File a complaint. He should know the laws BETTER than you. Taxpayer dollars are spent for him to know and enforce laws. not make them up. Ignorance to the law is NOT an excuse. And so what he let you off on a burn out ticket. after you file the complaint the WHOLE department will get briefed on OC/CC laws. If it comes out that it is how the department trains its LEOs than a lawsuit is needed to have them retained. LEOs are servants of the community, Not tyrants of the community.

OC for ME

File a formal complaint after you get all of the official information the cops have. That cop was nice after he likely realized that he was wrong, in the hopes that you will let it go and chalk it up as a 'teachable' moment. Counting on the 'cops have a tough job, give them a break' mindset that the vast majority of our fellow citizens wrongly hold.

His beliefs are not the law. That cop needs to know that he will be under scrutiny for sometime to come. If not by his boss, by the citizenry.

kcGlock19

The one off High Point Rd and Mackay Dr? And it was a Jamestown officer? Odd.

Well Guilford County sheriff.

Quite frankly... If you were already in the parking lot, then why did you concent to have the cop walk you inside to discuss anything with the manager?

Because I was trying to prove to him that they don't have a policy against it. He wasn't going to let me in anyways so I tried solving the issue instead of making a big scene and being detained and then having to do it the hard way.

Last edited:

Kivuli

Gotcha. Hm. I'd still recommend a call to the Guilford County Sheriff's Office regarding the deputy's actions. I wouldn't be too hopeful that BJ will give a darn though. I'm not sure what his opinion of open carry is.

jegoodin

Well Guilford County sheriff.

Because I was trying to prove to him that they don't have a policy against it. He wasn't going to let me in anyways so I tried solving the issue instead of making a big scene and being detained and then having to do it the hard way.

Less talk = Better

Don't wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig loves it.

Did you really think the night manager is really going to back you when confronted by a LEO?

Racer X

I've been by the Harris Teeter near Main St in High Point late at night (between 12am-2am) several times since the robberies and noticed the rent-a-cop parked outside. They haven't attempted to make an issue, but I don't think they've noticed my OC until I'm on my way back to my car. I know the HT on Skeet Club has off-duty HPPD working afterhours...they should be educated on OC, but there have been so many new officers hit the street in the last year or so there is no telling what level of training you might encounter there. It's been a long time since I've been to the HT in Jamestown, but I do find it odd that the GCSO isn't a little better educated on OC. I figured they would encounter it more in their rural patrols than some of the city agencies.

Racer X

I went to Jamestown today to get my hair cut at Rob's Barber Shop. Great little place and really nice guy. Rob's is a small two chair shop with Rob and another lady whose name escapes me that work there. Today Rob was already cutting one gentleman's hair when I walked in so I took the other chair with the lady. She commented that I was wearing my gun today, and I mentioned that I carry it just about everyday. She mumbled that that was probably a pretty good idea. That small conversation seemed a little weird to me since she knows I carry all the time and have never been in there that I can remember without it. My trim didn't take too long so the other guy in Rob's chair and I were done at the same time. Rob pulled the smock off his customer and it was a full uniformed Guilford County Sheriff deputy. Now the conversation made a little more sense. I guess she was a little nervous about how the deputy would handle it. He chose to ignore me the whole time we were in the shop and as I was leaving.

I went to Harris Teeter after that as there are some items I can't buy at the stores here in Thomasville that HT stocks. No problems there, but as usual I don't think anyone noticed I was OC except for the stay at home mom dragging 6 kids around the produce section.

kcGlock19

So did you ever follow up on this with the store manager of corporate?

I went by just now and spoke with the store manager. He said he had been meaning to get back to me. The night manager told him about it the next day after it happened. He mentioned how the kid said im a frequent customer and remembered seeing me in there alot before. He said everyone is just so on edge about the 12 robberies. The manager in the office with us said that he remembered when they tried to put up no gun signs and then had to take them down after a day lol. He said they are allowed now and would tell the night shift manager that its is ok. He took my phone number and email and said he would get back to me. He was a nice guy and we chatted awhile about uncg and stuff.

Soooo HT...Taken care of.

LEO....I still haven't done anything yet.

I went to Jamestown today to get my hair cut at Rob's Barber Shop. Great little place and really nice guy. Rob's is a small two chair shop with Rob and another lady whose name escapes me that work there. Today Rob was already cutting one gentleman's hair when I walked in so I took the other chair with the lady. She commented that I was wearing my gun today, and I mentioned that I carry it just about everyday. She mumbled that that was probably a pretty good idea. That small conversation seemed a little weird to me since she knows I carry all the time and have never been in there that I can remember without it. My trim didn't take too long so the other guy in Rob's chair and I were done at the same time. Rob pulled the smock off his customer and it was a full uniformed Guilford County Sheriff deputy. Now the conversation made a little more sense. I guess she was a little nervous about how the deputy would handle it. He chose to ignore me the whole time we were in the shop and as I was leaving.

I went to Harris Teeter after that as there are some items I can't buy at the stores here in Thomasville that HT stocks. No problems there, but as usual I don't think anyone noticed I was OC except for the stay at home mom dragging 6 kids around the produce section.

Well thanks for going there! Im sure it helps to see more people also OCing so employees get used to it.

NC-Heel

Good deal. See how sticking up for your rights worked to the benefit of everyone in the end. I would now drop the matter and not worry about the Deputy. You have received the outcome that was needed to protect your rights. Every manager in that store has now been educated and poking the LEO with a stick will get you no further.

kcGlock19

Good deal. See how sticking up for your rights worked to the benefit of everyone in the end. I would now drop the matter and not worry about the Deputy. You have received the outcome that was needed to protect your rights. Every manager in that store has now been educated and poking the LEO with a stick will get you no further.

Thats what im thinking. The leo said he would get back to me because he wanted to do some research on it. But he hasn't so im assuming he talked with other LEOs and they told him its ok to OC. The Captain that is in charge of legal processes for Guilford County lives in my neighborhood so next time I see him I might bring up what happened and see what he says about it. Either way, I have never had a issue in Guilford County before so I think its just a bad apple that was tired and not thinking straight. He didn't even radio the incident in so he obviously thought there was a chance he was in the wrong.

Captain Spankz

If it was me I'd of been highly annoyed (Nice version words) that the LEO treated me like a petty criminal and disarmed me with no probable cause nor any actual crimes committed. You owe that officer nothing in trying to take it "easy" because if he could of stuck something on you that night I bet he would. Honestly sounds like he was already having a bad night and then wanted to just hassle someone for his own personal needs.

Like others said already get all the official statements you can and then file a formal complaint and make him have to rectify what he did. We all do our best to follow the law and be considerate to others when needed.. It goes two ways.