• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had my first somewhat negative experience.. In a gun shop no less..

Medic1210

That sign makes no sense and IS what probably lead to the misunderstanding. A sign that reads "All weapons must be holstered, cased or flagged while in the store" is more appropriate. I usually carry concealed and the first thing I do when walking into a gun store is transition to open carry. I want everyone to know who is armed. That sign means open carry is OK. It is OK to go from OC to CC while in the store. It is OK to CC but it is not OK to go from CC to OC while in the store. The sign stops no one from trying holsters that is OC'ing.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing regarding the wording of the sign. When I first saw it, I even questioned myself whether OC was allowed, or if only CC was allowed simply due to the vagueness of it. Had I been approached on my first OC visit, I would have likely just complied, but since I had been there multiple times, and even purchased my last pistol a few weeks ago while OC, I felt the clerk was misguided.

WalkingWolf

"Are you a Cop?"

Christ it is just question, not a Spanish inquisition, most people are just curious. Now if a LEO asks that question then it is a different story. We down here in NC have very few problems with OCing, maybe it is the Southern courtesy thang in our blood. Unfortunately the Yankees are changing that, I do realize that VA has a lot more Yankees than we do.

WalkingWolf

"Edit to add: how very horrible it would be for that lady to have to say 'OH, I shot someone over a hamburger...I couldn't let it go and got pushed into a corner'."

[Sarcasm]You mean like Zimmerman shooting Martin over iced tea, and Skittles?? [Sarcasm]

If her situation escalated into a deadly force decision I highly doubt it would have been because of a 'hamburger'. Sometimes you sound bright, sometimes not so much...

dmatting

I'm always getting asked if I'm a movie star or model because I'm so damn good looking! I can understand how getting asked the same question by so many different people can be annoying but I don't let it bother me because I am so damn good looking! Sometimes I also get asked if I am a cop, too. I don't let that bother me, either. Why? Because I am so damn good looking! :lol:

SFCRetired

I've been asked that a couple of times. Depends on who's asking and how they ask as to how I answer.

If they're curious about open carry and honestly seeking information, I'll give a straight, polite answer and go from there. It has helped me educate several people here in my state who thought concealed carry was the only legal means of carry.

If they're trying to be a sexy intellectual, I'll tell them, "No, my parents were married for over a year before I was born so I didn't qualify." (Same answer works if someone asks me if I was ever a Marine:D)

If they're being rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, I will give them my patented Platoon Sergeant's Glare and invite them to visit the theological place of eternal punishment.

I do not understand places that deal in firearms trying to restrict citizens' right to carry. I can understand requiring a weapon remain in its holster or, if it is being considered for trade or being fitted for a holster, requiring it to be cleared and the action open before entering the store.

Unfortunately, there are some complete morons who also own and carry firearms. I firmly believe that the membership here is not in that category, but that almost everyone here knows people who fit that description.

WalkingWolf

I'm always getting asked if I'm a movie star or model because I'm so damn good looking! I can understand how getting asked the same question by so many different people can be annoying but I don't let it bother me because I am so damn good looking! Sometimes I also get asked if I am a cop, too. I don't let that bother me, either. Why? Because I am so damn good looking! :lol:

^Funny Post^

I used to get asked the same questions when younger, now that I am old and ugly not so much. :cry:

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I used to get asked the same questions when younger, now that I am old and ugly not so much.
The older I get the more I look like and am like Jack Elam.

Now, ugly was Jack Ulem of Chiloquin, Oregon, a Klamath Indian village. Ulem was a topper (took the tops out of trees for highline logging) that had a tree break below him. He survived the fall with his head being crushed absent medical care. His eyes were off set about four inches vertically. A local magistrate tried to fine him for contempt of court, he checked his wallet, reached across the bench and slapped the magistrate, saying, "Now that's contempt." He always had a cold beer and Oregon beef.

Medic1210

Best response FTW!

Medic1210

Some people reading this might not have realize 'Oh, I haz options?'. IMO, if someone you don't know comes up and says 'are you a LEO' as the FIRST FREAKING THING out of their mouth, then I know what's about to go down and I use humor and deflection and I have never had it devolve into a 'ok you have to leave'. Does that help you ?

had his first words to me been that question, I would have known right away where he was going with it, but we had been talking about holsters for my new XDm for a couple minutes before he politely asked. Honestly though, since I haven't mentally prepared myself ahead of time how to deal with the confrontational question, I probably would have still responded the same. Thanks for suggesting other options for future encounters.

papa bear

when i have been asked if i was a cop, one of my responses is, "are you a cop", if not i say i'm sorry i cannot answer that question. "but , what does it matter anyway", for the most part they don't know what to say after that. never had anyone say they were a cop, i guess i would ask to see there ID