• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inciting a panic, Disorderly conduct???

Will.40

I went to the Police station the other day to ask about open carry laws in Ky. The officer told me that at my age (19) I can legally open carry my handgun...BUT..say I go to the mall or somewhere and carry I can be arrested for Disorderly conduct or Inciting a panic but not for carrying a weapon. I was wondering, if it is my right to open carry shouldn't there be laws to protect me from something like this? It seems ridiculous to me. Just wanting some opinions or any other info you guys may have.

Fallschirjmäger

I went to the Police station the other day to ask about open carry laws in Ky. The officer told me that at my age (19) I can legally open carry my handgun...BUT..say I go to the mall or somewhere and carry I can be arrested for Disorderly conduct or Inciting a panic but not for carrying a weapon. I was wondering, if it is my right to open carry shouldn't there be laws to protect me from something like this? It seems ridiculous to me. Just wanting some opinions or any other info you guys may have.
Were the officer's lips moving when he told you that, because that's a pretty good sign he was 'attempting to put forth a falsehood'.

Disorderly Conduct, First Degree
Disorderly Conduct, Second Degree
Inciting to Riot
Lawfully carrying a legal object does not rise to the level of a crime as defined by any of these code sections.
I'm unable to find "Inciting to/a Panic" in the KRS

Thread on "inciting panic"
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?86721-Northern-Ky-OC-Insighting-panic-and-jail-time

Last edited:

09jisaac

Openly carry a firearm, within itself, does not fall into that category. Most people (not on this forum) will try to persuade you not to OC. I don't fully understand why. If ANYONE arrest you in Kentucky for merely OCing, you have very good legal grounds for a suit.

langzaiguy

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of your questions have been addressed 100x. You'd be well served by browsing! It's not a great idea about asking the police about law. It's not a good idea to get medical advice from your paperboy either.

I would definitely get a solid grasp on KY gun law and understand exactly where you can and can't carry. I would also read up on what to do when a LEO confronts you. All this can be found within this forum.

There is no 'inciting panic' law in KY (maybe locally?)

As for "disorderly conduct"--you have to be INTENDING to be disorderly.

neuroblades

An additional tidbit of infromation to add. The legal OC age is 18 in the Commonwelath of Kentucky, granted, you can NOT legally purchase a handgun until the age of 21 from an FFL dealer (gun store), some private dealers might sell to those 18 to 21 but most will not risk it. If your Dad and Uncle or someone else in your family gives you (gifts you) a handgun though, you can legally carry it but ONLY openly (NOT concealed)! For concealed carry you'll have to be 21 and take the conceal carry class and do some additional paperwork.

KRS 527.100 - Relates to your query

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l_3jCg&usg=AFQjCNFvaL2vyREPh0cZHaxIDivqx9CtrQ

charles

wow

Just had the same thing happen to me at St. Matthews mall! they told me if I didn't put it in my truck they would sight me for inciting a panic and disorderly conduct! so, is there a clear Black and white, law stating they can or can not do this? So P.O. about this......

Fallschirjmäger

Just had the same thing happen to me at St. Matthews mall! they told me if I didn't put it in my truck they would sight me for inciting a panic and disorderly conduct! so, is there a clear Black and white, law stating they can or can not do this? So P.O. about this......
They can arrest you for disorderly conduct, they can arrest you for inciting a panic.... they can arrest you for eating a ham sandwich on Sunday to the detriment of public order.

That doesn't mean that the District Attorney will prefer charges....
It can also leave officers open to civil lawsuits.

langzaiguy

Wise words from Gushot:

"In the last few weeks I have noticed several posts that ask questions over and over, with just a few different word changes or ask questions that no one could answer, because nothing so remote has ever happened in the entire history of mankind or they happen every day in legal proceedings and they are handled routinely. Most of these questions are hypothetical. For example, what do I do if XX happens?; What do I do if the cops lie?, What do I do if the judge won't listen to me?, What do I do if the judge won't follow the law? What do I do if the sky falls and hits me in the head? What should I do if I trip over a rock and have my hand near my gun, my finger accidentally goes in the trigger guard and I accidentally pull the trigger and shoot someone? I am beginning to wonder if these are not asked by people who are just pulling our collective chains. I have avoided responding to any of these because I don't think they deserve a response. The answer to all of these questions and any like them is, "If you are worried about such things, stay home." Even then the police "could" make up something about you, judges could make unfair rulings and the sky may come disconnected from its moorings, there are no guarantees in life."

I've never heard of a KY LEO actually arrest a law abiding OCer. I'm not saying that it hasn't or will never happen. All I can say is I'm going to carry in accordance of the law. If I'm harassed, I'll roll with it and hold whoever it is accountable. If I'm arrested, it will end up being a payday for me.

Johnburns15

I have heard a story from a man I know and it happened to his friend. true or not true I just want to be sure I fully understand the laws before I oc

You've heard from a friend that's heard from a friend? That doesn't sound very "credible"
The laws are simple in Kentucky on firearms compared to most other states.
1. You cannot carry a firearm LOADED into a bar (a business that makes more then 50% of its profit from alcohol sales to be consumed on the premises)
2. You cannot carry a firearm in a primary or secondary school unless you're a law enforcement officer ON official duty (elementary, middle, and high schools, does not
Include colleges)