Thread: Michigan Attorneys

Michigan Attorneys

I am an attorney, and gun owner, based in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am looking to link up with other attorneys who have an interest in firearms law.

I am currently researching our state constitutional right to bear arms (Mich Const Art.1, Sec. 6) as it relates to the prohibition against "brandishing" firearms. (MCL 750.234e) There seems to be very little case law in these regards. I know the statue has been constitutionally challenged for vagueness, but the one lower court ruling that this law is unconstitutional, that I am aware of, was reversed on appeal in People v Finley in 1997 (in unpublished opinion no. 199871).

AG Opinion #7101 issued on 2002 seems to offer some guidance, but is ostensibly limited to "peace officers" carrying while off duty.

Given the uncertainty about what constitutes brandishing (as evidenced by the stories of unnecessary confrontations with police found in these forums), it seems clarification is in order. Does anyone know of any pending cases either challenging the constitutionality of MCL 750.234e or further clarifying what it means to "brandish"?

Thank you.

Banned
    PM incoming

Banned

Welcome

IANAL IIRC there is no current case law in regards to brandishing. AFAIK, you would default to the Dictionary definition.

I needed a dictionary just to figure out what IANAL, AFAIK and IIRC mean. (I'm new here.)

Well, let me know if you hear of anyone arrested for "brandishing" while legitimately carrying a holstered weapon. Maybe I'll have to be the guy to take the case up.

Thanks.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I needed a dictionary just to figure out what IANAL, AFAIK and IIRC mean. (I'm new here.)

Well, let me know if you hear of anyone arrested for "brandishing" while legitimately carrying a holstered weapon. Maybe I'll have to be the guy to take the case up.

Thanks.
    Long gun OC charge...
    http://troy.patch.com/articles/open-...photo-10283051

There is a case going to Appeals court MOC, Inc vs CADL. They have asked the court to rule handgun OC is brandishing and that authorities are not preempted in regards to firearm laws.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post

Thanks.

IANAL I Am Not A Lawyer
    AFAIK As Far As I Know
    IIRC If I Recall Correctly

Sorry.

lol Laugh Out Loud.

couldn't resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Long gun OC charge...

There is a case going to Appeals court MOC, Inc vs CADL. They have asked the court to rule handgun OC is brandishing and that authorities are not preempted in regards to firearm laws.
    Court may sidestep the Brandishing issue by determining Library Authorities can regulate guns -- that'd end the case with no need to decide Brandishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Long gun OC charge...

For sure?
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    I believe that to be the case. Aqualung seems to be legislating from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Court may sidestep the Brandishing issue by determining Library Authorities can regulate guns -- that'd end the case with no need to decide Brandishing.
    And that would be a loss for us as authorities start popping up all over the state.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!