• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB: What To Consider? Best Bang For The Buck?

BlueRidgeTrapper

Never owned one but I think its time to try to "tuck it in". I'm a big guy but certainly not a monster either so I've wondered if it'll work well for me? What about the best brands for the money? Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Eeyore

This probably belongs in the "Holsters & Accessories" forum, but....

I'm a skinny guy and a tuckable IWB works just great for me, as long as I blouse my shirt appropriately. I personally have a Crossbreed Supertuck (www.crossbreedholsters.com), but there are many companies with similar designs, including:
www.whitehatholsters.com
www.comptac.com (Minotaur & C-TAC)
www.usgalco.com (King Tuk)
www.theisholsters.com

The above typically cost $70 and up. If low cost is a main priority and you're fairly "handy," Old Faithful sells kits of a very similar configuration, which cost about half of the assembled holsters named above. http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/category/holster-kits/iwb-forward-cant-hip-holster-kits/ Personally, I don't like the way the kydex doesn't attach directly to the leather on this design, but that's just me.

BlueRidgeTrapper

Cost isn't a worry...but I just don't want to overpay for poor quality. I think we've all bought something in the past that was poor quality considering the price and you said to yourself, "Why didn't I research this before buying it?" LOL... :lol:

Eeyore

Cost isn't a worry...but I just don't want to overpay for poor quality.

All the ones I listed have very good reps. The Minotaur, Theis, and White Hat all attach the kydex to the leather using screws, so you can swap out the kydex shell and use the same leather backing for different gun(s). The Crossbreed and King Tuk are riveted on--one size fits one.

If quick on/off is a consideration take a look at Remora holsters, another company with a really good rep for customer service.

scouser

of course, don't forget to buy a larger pant size, I found adding 2" to what I'd wear normally is a good guide, and a really good belt for the times you aren't carrying IWB (unless you a fan of wearing your back pockets just above the back of your knees).

There's also plenty of discussion on holsters in the Holsters and Accessories section of this forum. I often look at that so I can laugh at the stories of people who don't possess the required braincell to know how to remove a firearm from a Serpa without shooting themselves.

scouser

All the ones I listed have very good reps. The Minotaur, Theis, and White Hat all attach the kydex to the leather using screws, so you can swap out the kydex shell and use the same leather backing for different gun(s). The Crossbreed and King Tuk are riveted on--one size fits one.

If quick on/off is a consideration take a look at Remora holsters, another company with a really good rep for customer service.

I can't speak for the others as I don't have them, but the Crossbreed although the kydex is riveted to the leather, the belt clips are adjustable so the wearer is able to raise or lower the holster or adjust the cant to their personal preference. I like mine, it's comfortable and I too am a 'big guy'.

mobeewan

I'm 5'-10 and about 305 lbs. I like the Galco Royal Guard IWB holster for my .45 Colt 1911 5" govt model. It has 2 leather 2" straps that wrap around the belt and snap. They also make shorter straps that I purchased seperately from Galco that fit around a narrower belt. I also carry a .45 STI 2011 3.9 Compact (just a tad longer than a Colt Officer, but shorter than a Commander). It is like the STI VIP (3.9 inch with aluminum frame/stainless slide), but a friend built it for me from a cut down 5" STI steel frame with a swapped compact grip and STI 3.9 stainless slide before STI came out with the VIP. Galco did not make a 1911/2011 style holster made for a square trigger guard like the STI has. The owner of Backwoods Leather from Portsmouth, Va, used to come to the Hampton Gun Shows. At A gunshow he had a holster he had custom made for a Colt Double Eagle Commander (which has a square trigger guard). My STI fit perfect and they are the combination that I have carried ever since. The Backwoods holster has a metal spring clip that clips over the belt. I also wear this holster sometimes between my pants and belt during very hot weather and it stays in place fine.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Rocketman Holsterworks

lowrider.jpg

You will never love another.

ocholsteroc

What gun are you using it for?

I have a Galco King Tuck for my Glock 19, it works very well. Just make sure to get the gun high 3 o clock so it works best when driving. Or else the gun will hit the seat/your back and not be nice..

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

For the buck? VersaCarry @ $25 But they're not for the careless or fainthearted.

Michigander

I've been carrying unchambered and unholstered in the AIWB position for quite some time with my G20, and before that, occasionally with my P220. This is as a back up to a chambered OC'd or pocket carried gun.

Being as squeamish as I am about liking my junk, I don't want to carry in the AIWB position with a hot chamber. But if I wanted to carry chambered, I'd probably get one of these http://www.warriortalknews.com/2010/05/the-zack-concealment-holster.html

I like carrying this way because of comfort, the lack of need to buy larger pants (I barely can fit into 32's and have no trouble stuffing my Glock down my pants with no holster) and the exceptionally good level of concealment it provides. I've had many IWB holsters, and after all of them, tend to prefer this minimalist approach. It isn't for everyone, in fact probably isn't for most people. Just mentioning it for reference.

In terms of any other kind of IWB carry, any holster will work. But the real trick is that you want stability, and adjustability. Durability is nice too. Plus it's nice if the holster keeps rust prone steel away from sweat. On these criteria, the hybrid holster system is wonderful, and justly enjoying explosive popularity. If you're interested in a hybrid holster, the best deal I know of is these http://hhholsters.highwire.com/product/the-ranger Pretty much the same as all the rest, but cheaper than most, made with 100% US materials, and as durable as any on the market. But there are many others on the market, probably also as good of a deal. I just mention that model because I know the maker from SKS boards, he's very reputable, and offers a lower price than you'll typically see from others such as cross breed.

Aknazer

Something else to think about is position of carry. Different holsters are better for different positions. I have a nylon holster that I wouldn't trust to carry my gun in the small of my back, but it is perfect for a 10-2 clock position. Likewise I have a different holster that would be fine for back carry but absolutely doesn't work for my normal carry (10-11 position as a lefty).