• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs movie theaters

Bellum_Intus

I don't get out to the movies much, and my daughter wants a daddy daughter date night tomorrow to go see Madagascar or something, and I have NO idea which Colorado Springs movie theaters are OC friendly.. Anyone??

--Rob

porterhouse83

I don't get out to the movies much, and my daughter wants a daddy daughter date night tomorrow to go see Madagascar or something, and I have NO idea which Colorado Springs movie theaters are OC friendly.. Anyone??

--Rob

Wish I could help you. I know the theaters I go to in Arvada will not even let me in the door while OC. At least that has been my experience. I hope you find a oc friendly theater bud.

RandyH

The last time that we went to the movies was about a year and a half ago.
But when we go I conceal. Every thing that I hear they are not OC friendly.

Enjoy the daddy daughter date night, they grow up too fast.

Polynikes

I've open carried at the Hollywood Theaters down off of Interquest. No one said anything. I'm not even sure anyone noticed.

Bellum_Intus

I've open carried at the Hollywood Theaters down off of Interquest. No one said anything. I'm not even sure anyone noticed.

I ended up at Cinemark on Powers, I just left the pistol in the car, but left the holster on the belt.. no signs and I could likely have just carried .. ah well. maybe next time ..

--Rob

jhco50

You know, I don't have any idea which theaters are friendly. That is one of the few places I leave my gun in the truck. Quarters are tight in some of them and there are so many kids bumping up against you.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I can't speak to Colorado Springs theatres, but I've never even thought about it here in the metro area. I just go to movies like I go everywhere else. Armed and open. Never had an issue raised about it.

Consider, if you will, that movie theatres really don't want to lose any more customers than they already have.
With DVD, Blueray and movies downloadable on the net, wide screen televisions and all the rest, their former glory has faded and quite a few folks won't be bothered to go to a movie theatre any more. We seldom do. The few times we've been to the movies, we find ourselves sitting in an almost empty theatre with maybe 4 or 5 other folks in the whole darn thing.

Make a fuss with me and I'm just as happy to wait for it to come out on DVD, sit in my most comfortable chair in my undies, with sodas that don't cost nearly $5 bucks a pop (sic) and popcorn that doesn't require a second mortgage on the house! So go ahead, movie theatre manager, make my day! I've got a 55 inch tube with a reasonably decent sound system, and can get everything your theatre offers right here at home.... except the hassle of some kid kicking the back of my seat, rude people talking all through the movie while sitting nearby, or some numbnut that won't turn of his/her cellphone off while at the movies. Worse, they'll sometimes carry on a conversation right there in the theatre. And just try telling them to shoosh up! Good luck there.

Theatres.... you'll laugh, you'll cry... you'll kiss about 20 bucks goodbye!
Me, I can wait for the DVD and pay 20 bucks (Often less) to see the movie with repeat screenings whenever I get the urge!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

I ended up at Cinemark on Powers, I just left the pistol in the car, but left the holster on the belt.. no signs and I could likely have just carried .. ah well. maybe next time ..

--Rob
They used to have a no firearms sign on the window. I CC there, so pay no attention. You may have a problem with OC, however, but all they can do is ask you to put the gun in your car.

widowman10

cinemark has a no firearms sign on the door (didn't examine it very closely, just a picture of a gun with a slash through it), but i just CC and safely enjoy my movie.

lockman

State Researcher
cinemark has a no firearms sign on the door (didn't examine it very closely, just a picture of a gun with a slash through it), but i just CC and safely enjoy my movie.

If it is the generic gun with the circle/slash just carry a type they don't show, ie revolver or semi-auto.

Bellum_Intus

Hmm.. I couldnt find one, my daugther even said "see dad, you could have brought it in" .. lol .. ah well.. If it was a small sign, I may have missed it..

--Rob

Brown Sound

Howdy Folks!
I can't speak to Colorado Springs theatres, but I've never even thought about it here in the metro area. I just go to movies like I go everywhere else. Armed and open. Never had an issue raised about it.

Consider, if you will, that movie theatres really don't want to lose any more customers than they already have.
With DVD, Blueray and movies downloadable on the net, wide screen televisions and all the rest, their former glory has faded and quite a few folks won't be bothered to go to a movie theatre any more. We seldom do. The few times we've been to the movies, we find ourselves sitting in an almost empty theatre with maybe 4 or 5 other folks in the whole darn thing.

Make a fuss with me and I'm just as happy to wait for it to come out on DVD, sit in my most comfortable chair in my undies, with sodas that don't cost nearly $5 bucks a pop (sic) and popcorn that doesn't require a second mortgage on the house! So go ahead, movie theatre manager, make my day! I've got a 55 inch tube with a reasonably decent sound system, and can get everything your theatre offers right here at home.... except the hassle of some kid kicking the back of my seat, rude people talking all through the movie while sitting nearby, or some numbnut that won't turn of his/her cellphone off while at the movies. Worse, they'll sometimes carry on a conversation right there in the theatre. And just try telling them to shoosh up! Good luck there.

Theatres.... you'll laugh, you'll cry... you'll kiss about 20 bucks goodbye!
Me, I can wait for the DVD and pay 20 bucks (Often less) to see the movie with repeat screenings whenever I get the urge!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I agree, sir. The last new release movie that my sons and myself saw was 'Iron Man'. Between the tickets, drinks and snacks, the total was close to $50! Now it's the $1 movies (actually, it's $1.75 now, I think) or the Redbox or Wal-Mart for the DVD. Maybe we can hit the drive-in in Pueblo this summer, before they are all closed. :cool:

Bellum_Intus

I agree, sir. The last new release movie that my sons and myself saw was 'Iron Man'. Between the tickets, drinks and snacks, the total was close to $50! Now it's the $1 movies (actually, it's $1.75 now, I think) or the Redbox or Wal-Mart for the DVD. Maybe we can hit the drive-in in Pueblo this summer, before they are all closed. :cool:

lol I hear ya both there.. this is the first movie i've gone to in years and only because my daughter REALLY wanted to go see Madagascar 3.. lol
Went at 4:20 show, was 14 bucks for both of us.. I think the last time I actually went to a theater, I paid half that..

--Rob

M-Taliesin

lol I hear ya both there.. this is the first movie i've gone to in years and only because my daughter REALLY wanted to go see Madagascar 3.. lol
Went at 4:20 show, was 14 bucks for both of us.. I think the last time I actually went to a theater, I paid half that.. --Rob

Howdy Pard!
I'm still up for waiting on DVD to get my chance to see a movie.
There was a time when eons would pass, and the earth cooled considerably, between a movie showing at a theatre unitl release on video.
That is no longer the case in most circumstances. Now movies are showing up on DVD within a month or two after theatre release.

Rather than spend all the extra money to visit the theatre, and them using it to upgrade their movie emporiums, I'd rather save the difference and create my very own movie emporium at home. A home theatre can easily pay for itself in fairly short order when you ain't getting stuck with the high prices at the confession stands. Just make up a bowl of your own popcorn, kick back with soda you got for $12 bucks for -4- 12 packs, enjoy a movie you bought for about 16 bucks at Walmart or Best Buy to watch in your underwear, if you like.

And unlike the theatre, if you are interrupted by the need to visit the loo... you can pause the darn thing. That pause that refreshes!

Figure an evening at the movies:
Gotta pay for the gas to get there, and back again.
Gotta wear socially acceptable clothing.
May be required to leave your handgun in the car.
Pay for a movie ticket (maybe $7.50 for a matinee)
Buy really overpriced drinks,
Pay through the nose for popcorn and candy. Actual food at outrageous prices.
Deal with people who bring babies to the movies.
Deal with children that won't behave at the movies.
Deal with idiots who carry on conversations throughout the movie.
Cope with the kid behind you kicking your seat throughout the experience.
Miss half the flick when you suddenly discover the true meaning of Montezuma's Revenge...
Discover your left foot sticking on every step because of the gum you stepped on earlier...
Then there's the guy with the bad comb over who just polluted the air with a fart that should be considered biochemical warfare.
Or the volume is loud enough to be heard pretty well in Guam,
Or not nearly loud enough to be heard in the 3rd row,
Or the psychotic person sitting near the rear of the theatre who breaks out in manical laughter just as the killer is about to strike...
And of course, keeps right on laughing as the blood spattered victim is torn asunder...
Or the temperature in the theatre is way too hot because the AC went down,
or way too cold because the AC just got fixed and the management is overcompensating to stiffle complaints about the heat...
Or worst of all, the movie simply sucks like an Electrolux.
You walk out shaking your head that you dropped 20 bucks or better to discover you've been had.
(i.e., Blair Witch Project, Abraham Lincoln vs. the Vampires, etc)

And that ain't to say anything about the folks sitting nearby who haven't any notion of personal hygine, and everybody knows it except them!

Yeah. I'm a big fan of home theatre.
And I can see a good movie again and again if I like.
All without disarming.
And in my underwear if I like.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Jonz

I went to see The Hobbit last night at Hollywood theater while open carrying. No signs were posted, and none of the employees said anything to me. I did have one patron question me about if I should be concealing the gun or not, but I politely explained the Colorado gun laws to her and that was the end of the subject.

Hollywood theater used to have signs posted, but I think it was only for a month or so after the Aurora shooting.

I was told by a friend who works at the Cinemark IMAX theater that they have gun ban signs posted, so I try to avoid that theater now, but it is still the only IMAX in town and my friends like to go to the IMAX...

I hope this helps someone in the future. :)

Edit: the Cinemark IMAX has a sign saying "no firearms", but was told they usually turn a blind eye to CC.

Last edited: