• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good encounter with LEO

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I have OC'd off and on for 50+ years in Arizona and never been hassled in any way. This incident may have occurred in Arizona but it is an extremely rare occurrence here. I really don't think we all need to rush out and purchase audio/video recorders quite yet.

Not to downgrade your sense of well being, but this is kind of like saying: I have never been in a car crash so I do not need auto insurance. Or my home has never had a fire occur, so no need for fire insurance. :eek:

I used to feel the same way a few years ago. Now I carry covert audio & video equipment when I OC. Most police and people for that matter are good. One never knows when they my face the other 10% (guess) of people who want ill for us in some way or form. OCing is a provocative act in the eyes of some. That being the case, and also knowing that there are some just plain crazy folks running around out there, it is prudent to carry as much insurance against falsehoods as possible.

Let's say it is in the evening and you run upto the market for some milk. While in the store some lady keeps giving you the evil eye, you just ignore her and make your purchase and go. On your way home you are pulled over and arrested! Why? The lady says you threatened her and drew your pistol on her for no reason. Without a recorder or video running who do you think they are going to believe? This is fiction based on a true account.The OCer is currently serving time in a state prison for felonious assult.

Bad things can and do happen to good people. Why not carry as much protection as possible? Isn't that why we carry in the first place?:confused:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I have OC'd off and on for 50+ years in Arizona and never been hassled in any way. This incident may have occurred in Arizona but it is an extremely rare occurrence here. I really don't think we all need to rush out and purchase audio/video recorders quite yet.

I've got to agree with Glock... I've never been harassed either, but a short trip down internet-search lane will tell you it's a good idea to keep that recorder going.

GWbiker

"Same here... since '66. I've never even been asked about any of my pistols by any LEO... other than type and bore size. AZ LEO's like .45's I've found...

Same here. Out of state posters are clueless about how Arizona LEO treat OC.

911 call on OP MWAG probably was made by a Kommyfolrynia weepy eyed liberal.

gunslinger493

That is what I have noticed here too, that out of state posters had more to say than folks from AZ. Also the officer was from Florida. A native officer would have just chatted with me for a few minutes and left. He may even have tried to find the caller and explain the facts to him.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
That is what I have noticed here too, that out of state posters had more to say than folks from AZ. Also the officer was from Florida. A native officer would have just chatted with me for a few minutes and left. He may even have tried to find the caller and explain the facts to him.

While people from AZ maybe more used to seeing weapons - that in no way means one should take for granted that any encounter will be a: positive or trurhful one. I have spent two weeks in the greater phoenix area. To date I am the only person I have seen OC? I stopped in several rual areas on my way here, guess what - no OC observed there also? As for native AZ residents, aren't most people in this state transplants in some way or form?

GWbiker

While people from AZ maybe more used to seeing weapons - that in no way means one should take for granted that any encounter will be a: positive or trurhful one. I have spent two weeks in the greater phoenix area. To date I am the only person I have seen OC? I stopped in several rual areas on my way here, guess what - no OC observed there also? As for native AZ residents, aren't most people in this state transplants in some way or form?

Two weeks in the PHX area makes you an expert on Arizona OC issues?

My, I'm impressed.

Meanwhile, in Michigan..........

(Sarcasm)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Two weeks in the PHX area makes you an expert on Arizona OC issues?

My, I'm impressed.

Meanwhile, in Michigan..........

(Sarcasm)

Nope not even close and never implied any such thing. Just passing along what I have and have not seen to date in the area. Please pass along some of your wisdom... it is always welcome. ;)

Last edited:

TOF

I don't get your connection between not carrying audio visual recording equipment and giving up civil rights for security. If we in Arizona were giving up rights for security you would not have been able to OC during your visit. You most certainly wouldn't be allowed to legaly carry concealed without permission either.

If you wish to carry all that stuff around I am certain the Electronic Industry will be pleased. You may have an out of control Gestapo in Michigan generating a need for the stuff.

My 72 years experience in Arizona, not 2 weeks, tells me I will get more good out of Chocolate Dip Cones from Dairy Queen than I will from pocket recorders.

Have a good day.

mzbk2l

I don't get your connection between not carrying audio visual recording equipment and giving up civil rights for security. If we in Arizona were giving up rights for security you would not have been able to OC during your visit. You most certainly wouldn't be allowed to legaly carry concealed without permission either.

If you wish to carry all that stuff around I am certain the Electronic Industry will be pleased. You may have an out of control Gestapo in Michigan generating a need for the stuff.

My 72 years experience in Arizona, not 2 weeks, tells me I will get more good out of Chocolate Dip Cones from Dairy Queen than I will from pocket recorders.

Have a good day.
+1. I've never seen or personally heard of any issue where someone in AZ would have needed a voice recorder. In the big list of things I pick and choose from to fill my pockets every day, a recorder would fall very low indeed.

Get2DahChopper

Have a good day.

Ok, by your logic because someone says extra protection is a good idea they are foolish? Bet a lot of people who have been thrown through windshields in a car crash would agree with people who said wearing a seat belt was overkill. Also you are reading his signature line about civil rights. Many posters on OCDO have them at the bottom of their posts. I thought the MI forum had a monopoly on not so nice responses, guess not?

I know I am not from your state either. How dare I post here. No wonder this sub forum has little to no traffic.

Last edited:

JesseL

Ok, by your logic because someone says extra protection is a good idea they are foolish? Bet a lot of people who have been thrown through windshields in a car crash would agree with people who said wearing a seat belt was overkill.

In Arizona, it's more like wearing a helmet when climbing a stepstool.

I know I am not from your state either. How dare I post here. No wonder this sub forum has little to no traffic.

You're welcome to post here, just understand that it's different here. A lot of the issues that other places have about open carry just aren't problems.

Baked on Grease

Also take into account transplanted cops from not so friendly states. Listen, it's one little extra step of cheap insurance just in the horrible case something DOES happen. It's not likely that we would get mugged, or some nut rampages through a mall stabbing people while we are there... But we carry just in case. I have never gotten into an actual vehicle accident, but I wear my seatbelt just in case. I have never had my house flood or catch on fire but I have insurance... Just in case.

I have never had a truly horrible encounter with cops (where I am wrongly accused) but I have my recorder running 24\7... just in case.

When it's your word against the cops, the courts will always believe the cop over you. The recorder removes the he said she said from the argument because you now have everything on tape.

Go look up all the horror stories of bad cops, where there is no audio video evidence. Then look up the ones that did have evidence and see how the end result is so vastly different.

Also, in the case of a mugging or some such where you have to defend yourself, yoi now have a third party witness that can relate a perfectly accurate timeline of events in your defense.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

GWbiker

Also take into account transplanted cops from not so friendly states. Listen, it's one little extra step of cheap insurance just in the horrible case something DOES happen. It's not likely that we would get mugged, or some nut rampages through a mall stabbing people while we are there... But we carry just in case. I have never gotten into an actual vehicle accident, but I wear my seatbelt just in case. I have never had my house flood or catch on fire but I have insurance... Just in case.

I have never had a truly horrible encounter with cops (where I am wrongly accused) but I have my recorder running 24\7... just in case.

When it's your word against the cops, the courts will always believe the cop over you. The recorder removes the he said she said from the argument because you now have everything on tape.

Go look up all the horror stories of bad cops, where there is no audio video evidence. Then look up the ones that did have evidence and see how the end result is so vastly different.

Also, in the case of a mugging or some such where you have to defend yourself, yoi now have a third party witness that can relate a perfectly accurate timeline of events in your defense.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

To put a spin on your opinion -- A hotshot anti-gun DA would ask you under oath, WHY you went out with recording equipment to engage in a shooting. Did you expect to shoot someone?

JesseL

So do you wear a helmet when climbing a stepstool? If not, why not? I'm sure there are a number of people whose lives could have been saved if they had.

We all make our own evaluations of risks and weigh the costs and benefits of the things we might do to attempt to mitigate them. Sometimes it's purely a judgement call, and sometimes other factors are at play. What may seem like a good idea to some, looks pants-on-the-head retarded to others.

I think the idea of keeping a recorder going 24/7 is one of those things where reasonable people might disagree and where there may be more factors at play than you originally realize.

sharkey

Ok, by your logic because someone says extra protection is a good idea they are foolish? Bet a lot of people who have been thrown through windshields in a car crash would agree with people who said wearing a seat belt was overkill. Also you are reading his signature line about civil rights. Many posters on OCDO have them at the bottom of their posts. I thought the MI forum had a monopoly on not so nice responses, guess not?

That certainly couldn't have anything to do with the fact that there is so little to talk about could it?

Granted, we're not perfect. We still have battles to win in the legislature. But as far as cops and carriers, pretty much non-issue.

TOF

Perhaps once you gain a bit more experience with OC's format you will recognize the seperator between postings and signature lines. If you pay real close attention you will see that I have a signature line. Whether those willing to waste their money for recording equipment are foolish or not is up to them to decide. I personaly prefer DQ's choclate dip cones over unnecessary equipment. Now, if I were foolish enough to move to Michigan, recording equipment might make more sense.
Have a nice day.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Police were asking for your personal information and documents simply because you were exercising a right.... and you titled the thread "good encounter with LEO?"