• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW question

H

Herr Heckler Koch

O.R.C. 2923.13 Having weapons while under disability.

Gil223

My stepson has a felony on him self but is wife does not, can she get a ccw permit.He has several guns already in his possession.

I don't know about Ohio, but most places in the country prohibit convicted felons from possession of firearms. And then there's "Catch-22" to deal with... a convicted felon in possession of a firearm is a felony, which gets one a free trip back to the Iron Bar Hotel. Pax...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
It depends. If it was a non-violent felony, he could get his rights restored. Depending on state laws.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

hermannr

If he can get his rights restored...he better start NOW. Access to firearms by felons is not taken lightly. BTW: This means no range time either,,,

As for weapons..as a convicted felon that has not had his rights restored, he cannot be in possession of any firearms..that is federal law, and I am fairly certain all states follow that same law with their own state laws.

Now, there are several forms of possession...a gun in a house he is the only person there, and it is available to him, even if it is not his....that is called constructive possession..illegal. A gun in a house, and he is the only person there...but he does not have access to that gun (locked in a safe etc that he does not have a key or combo too), that is legal.

A gun in your wife's control (she's clean you say?), not a problem...Can his wife get a Concealed pistol license? in my state she can if she is not a "prohibited" person (felon, mental etc)

gobbly

As long as the qualifies as someone who can own/possess firearms, of course she can. However, that doesn't change her husbands status. He still is not allowed to own/possess.

yellow2004gto

stepson felony

Thanks O2 you could have left it the other way he does not need guns around ,dope smokin alki with 4 year old son running around with no locks on any of the guns.