• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World - Open carriers put police on notice re 4th Amendment rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/a...ticleid=20120617_211_G1_CUTLIN249456&allcom=1

SNIP

. . . when our new open-carry law goes into effect on Nov. 1? Are conflicts between police and gun-carriers inevitable? Are protests, lawsuits, and other such ramifications on the horizon for us?

Even before the law has become effective, gun-rights advocates have made it clear they'll be keeping an eye on Oklahoma. Reacting to comments from some members of Oklahoma law enforcement, advocacy leaders have declared they "will be watching the police" and will take appropriate actions they deem necessary to protect the right to open carry.

After several failed attempts, Oklahoma lawmakers last session passed an open-carry law that essentially allows anyone who has a concealed-carry permit to also openly carry their weapon.

The legislation prompted a welcome note from OpenCarry.org, a national advocacy group claiming to have more than 28,000 members, which joined with the Oklahoma Second Amendment Association (known as OK2A) to also issue a warning.

"Though we are disappointed that the Oklahoma Legislature saw fit to require a license to open carry, this reform is still a great step forward for freedom and self-defense rights. But we are also alarmed that some Oklahoma law enforcement officials seem ready to hijack the license requirement as an excuse to violate gun owners' Fourth Amendment rights," said a joint press release from the two organizations.

. . .

OpenCarry.org co-founder and spokesman John Pierce had this response: "Earth to Oklahoma police: In the United States, guns are not contraband, and gun ownership is not suspicious."

The two advocacy groups called on Attorney General Scott Pruitt and law enforcement leaders to "ensure that all Oklahoma law enforcement officers are reminded that gun, or no gun, the Fourth Amendment requires at least 'reasonable articulable suspicion' of crime afoot before they may seize any person. And this goes for license checks as well."

Police may not seize or detain someone openly carrying a weapon "just to demand production of a license to carry," the two groups maintain.

Tim Gillespie, director and founder of the Oklahoma Second Amendment Association, declared: "We will be watching the police, and if need be, we will conduct open carry freedom of movement exercises and file lawsuits if we detect unconstitutional practices aimed at chilling the right to open carry."

. . .

FireHawk911

I don't get this article. She trashes OC and then says it won't be a problem in OK? I do know that she needs some education.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/a...ticleid=20120617_211_G1_CUTLIN249456&allcom=1

Tim Gillespie, director and founder of the Oklahoma Second Amendment Association, declared: "We will be watching the police, and if need be, we will conduct open carry freedom of movement exercises and file lawsuits if we detect unconstitutional practices aimed at chilling the right to open carry."

. . .

I guess we don't need OKOCA after all. Looks like Mr. Gillespie and the good folks at OK2A and OCDO are all over this issue. We'll never have 28,000 members. We just can't compete...

Last edited:

gprod55

Ok2a

As a member of OK2A. Our group has been working towards constittutional open carry for the state of Oklahoma. We understand that to achieve this goal and change the minds of the public and LE certain steps must be taken. We have a person who has spent many hours, (volunteering his own time,) meeting with Legislators of both houses to achieve what we have now. Constitutional carry won't happen overnight and to try for it all at once would have met in failure.
What we have is the first step accomplished in a long battle to achieve our goal. Our group will continue to work towards this. If you wish you can go to OK2A.org for further information.

FireHawk911

Smitty we will one day be just as big and as influential as OK2A. It just takes a little time.

FireHawk911

I agree with you about betrayal. It is very disheartening, but OKOCA will prevail!! This also is a personal opinion and in no way shape or form represents the views of OKOCA, it's Directors, Regional Coordinators, and/or Members.

Gary S

I don't get this article. She trashes OC and then says it won't be a problem in OK? I do know that she needs some education.
I enjoyed reading the comments as well some people make no sense at all and others just need to get educated on their rights.
Smitty we will one day be just as big and as influential as OK2A. It just takes a little time.
Im a pretty new member to the forum and would like to also become a member of okoca, it may take time but it will get there. I tell people all the time about the site and ask them to visit the site.

hrdware

Im a pretty new member to the forum and would like to also become a member of okoca, it may take time but it will get there. I tell people all the time about the site and ask them to visit the site.

Check out the OKOCA website and print out the registration for to become a member of OKOCA.

hermannr

Hej Guys!

I just sent a Email to the author of the above article in the OP....and asked her to write a followup opinion after your 1 Nov open carry provisions take effect.

I also pointed her to what happened to Sean Michael Combs, the young 18 year old that go in trouble in MI for OCing a M1 Garand, and who's arrest she started her original opinion with.

http://troy.patch.com/articles/rifl...-of-birmingham-for-violating-his-civil-rights

Please post any new article in the Tulsa paper so we can all read it.

Gary S

Check out the OKOCA website and print out the registration for to become a member of OKOCA.
Just to update you i printed out the form after filling it out and wrote a check for the amount and they are in the mail now, i look forward to calling myself a member of okoca, i like the help i get on the forum and how okoca got started and the cause okoca stands for. Thank you