Thread: Young OC in Shreveport/BC Needs Tips

Post Young OC in Shreveport/BC Needs Tips

Hey I'm 17 and from the research I've done it says that it is legal to OC at the age of 17. I want to get my concealed carry license but unfortunately I have to wait. Can someone who's familiar with Shreveport/BC OC rules give me some helpful pointers? What are the general places it is illegal to OC, am I allowed to act in self-defense with deadly force if needed, since I am a minor is anything different, do I have to own the gun I OC, is there a certain kind of holster I must use for it to be OC? Also, can anyone refer me to some handgun training courses that would be beneficial, auto not revolver. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Tetsu Kibra; 06-17-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Kibra View Post
    Hey I'm 17 and from the research I've done it says that it is legal to OC at the age of 17. I want to get my concealed carry license but unfortunately I have to wait. Can someone who's familiar with Shreveport/BC OC rules give me some helpful pointers? What are the general places it is illegal to OC, am I allowed to act in self-defense with deadly force if needed, since I am a minor is anything different, do I have to own the gun I OC, is there a certain kind of holster I must use for it to be OC? Also, can anyone refer me to some handgun training courses that would be beneficial, auto not revolver. Thanks in advance for the help.

I caint answer your question's. But I would like to direct you to the Louisiana revises statutes.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/search.asp?R...tring=+weapons

I caint answer your question's. But I would like to direct you to the Louisiana revises statutes.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/search.asp?R...tring=+weapons
    Thanks, but I've read through all of those as well as municipal code for Shreveport. I'm just looking for someone who has broad knowledge about OC in Shreveport/BC, haha.

If you're looking to possess a handgun at age 17...isn't that a violation of federal law? You might want to see if the rule is 18 to carry a handgun, 21 to buy one.
    Last edited by Seigi; 06-28-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seigi View Post
    If you're looking to possess a handgun at age 17...isn't that a violation of federal law? You might want to see if the rule is 18 to carry a handgun, 21 to buy one.
    The federal law concerns the transfer of a firearm from a FFL, and the purchase of ammunition for handguns - state law will have the answers regarding private purchase or transfer of a firearm. Also, state law will determine at what age a person may posses a firearm.

Lousiana law, being based on the Napolianic Code, makes my head hurt so I'm going to send the OP to the state section of OCDO and to LOCAL http://www.laopencarry.org for help in answering his question.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The federal law concerns the transfer of a firearm from a FFL, and the purchase of ammunition for handguns - state law will have the answers regarding private purchase or transfer of a firearm. Also, state law will determine at what age a person may posses a firearm.

Lousiana law, being based on the Napolianic Code, makes my head hurt so I'm going to send the OP to the state section of OCDO and to LOCAL http://www.laopencarry.org for help in answering his question.

stay safe.
    Here's an aspirin... La. Civil Code is based on Napoleonic code, but it's criminal law is similar to the other 50 states and compared to a state like Mississippi... easier to follow.

I'm sure LOCAL can help this young man.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seigi View Post
    Federal law also covers possession of a handgun by anyone under 18.

It shouldn't, but it does.

18 USC 922(x)(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to
    knowingly possess -
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

( . . . ) (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
    person who is less than 18 years of age.
    Last edited by KBCraig; 06-29-2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Whoops! Corrected the code cite

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Federal law also covers possession of a handgun by anyone under 18.

It shouldn't, but it does.

18 USC 922(x)(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to
    knowingly possess -
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

( . . . ) (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
    person who is less than 18 years of age.

so how do minors get to shoot guns?

Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    so how do minors get to shoot guns?
    There's a long list of exempt activities, requiring a juvenile to be in the company of a parent, guardian, or other adult.