• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young OC in Shreveport/BC Needs Tips

Tetsu Kibra

Hey I'm 17 and from the research I've done it says that it is legal to OC at the age of 17. I want to get my concealed carry license but unfortunately I have to wait. Can someone who's familiar with Shreveport/BC OC rules give me some helpful pointers? What are the general places it is illegal to OC, am I allowed to act in self-defense with deadly force if needed, since I am a minor is anything different, do I have to own the gun I OC, is there a certain kind of holster I must use for it to be OC? Also, can anyone refer me to some handgun training courses that would be beneficial, auto not revolver. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

oldgoat

Hey I'm 17 and from the research I've done it says that it is legal to OC at the age of 17. I want to get my concealed carry license but unfortunately I have to wait. Can someone who's familiar with Shreveport/BC OC rules give me some helpful pointers? What are the general places it is illegal to OC, am I allowed to act in self-defense with deadly force if needed, since I am a minor is anything different, do I have to own the gun I OC, is there a certain kind of holster I must use for it to be OC? Also, can anyone refer me to some handgun training courses that would be beneficial, auto not revolver. Thanks in advance for the help.

I caint answer your question's. But I would like to direct you to the Louisiana revises statutes.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/search.asp?RS=RS&SearchString=+weapons

Seigi

If you're looking to possess a handgun at age 17...isn't that a violation of federal law? You might want to see if the rule is 18 to carry a handgun, 21 to buy one.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you're looking to possess a handgun at age 17...isn't that a violation of federal law? You might want to see if the rule is 18 to carry a handgun, 21 to buy one.

The federal law concerns the transfer of a firearm from a FFL, and the purchase of ammunition for handguns - state law will have the answers regarding private purchase or transfer of a firearm. Also, state law will determine at what age a person may posses a firearm.

Lousiana law, being based on the Napolianic Code, makes my head hurt so I'm going to send the OP to the state section of OCDO and to LOCAL http://www.laopencarry.org for help in answering his question.

stay safe.

georg jetson

The federal law concerns the transfer of a firearm from a FFL, and the purchase of ammunition for handguns - state law will have the answers regarding private purchase or transfer of a firearm. Also, state law will determine at what age a person may posses a firearm.

Lousiana law, being based on the Napolianic Code, makes my head hurt so I'm going to send the OP to the state section of OCDO and to LOCAL http://www.laopencarry.org for help in answering his question.

stay safe.

Here's an aspirin... La. Civil Code is based on Napoleonic code, but it's criminal law is similar to the other 50 states and compared to a state like Mississippi... easier to follow.

I'm sure LOCAL can help this young man.

KBCraig

Federal law also covers possession of a handgun by anyone under 18.

It shouldn't, but it does.

18 USC 922(x)(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to
knowingly possess -
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

( . . . ) (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
person who is less than 18 years of age.

Last edited:

hammer6

Federal law also covers possession of a handgun by anyone under 18.

It shouldn't, but it does.

18 USC 922(x)(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to
knowingly possess -
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

( . . . ) (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
person who is less than 18 years of age.

so how do minors get to shoot guns?