Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racked or unracked while OCing?

Question Racked or unracked while OCing?

Just a question to all that oc. Do you keep your gun chambered or not. 1911 and revolver carriers need not respond for obvious reasons. See I have two small children so normally my gun is not racked which could result in slower response time during a conflict. Just wondering how everyone carries.

It's been covered many, many, many, many times before.

My personal answer is this....
    Can you GUARANTEE that you
    will Always have both hands free to rack the slide?
    will Never have your hand or arm being held in a deathgrip by a child or loved one?
    will Never have a leashed dog on your arm jostling the hand you'd be using to rack the slide?
    will Never be using your off-hand to hang on to something for dear life?
    will Never be using your off-hand to keep an attacker at bay who got too close before you could react?
    will Never be injured in your off-hand so that it's useless for racking the slide?

We carry pistols for the unexpected and because we're Not expecting trouble; that tends to put us 'behind the reaction curve' when trouble does occur.
    If we WERE expecting trouble, I think most of us would be reaching for something a bit more powerful than just a hand pistol.

Anyone who's carried unloaded and racked the slide in response to a deadly threat will tell you they always had time to rack the slide.
    on the other hand...
    Anyone who didn't have time to rack the slide in response to a deadly threat probably won't have much to say, they're too busy being dead.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 06-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by love4guns View Post
    Just a question to all that oc. Do you keep your gun chambered or not. 1911 and revolver carriers need not respond for obvious reasons. See I have two small children so normally my gun is not racked which could result in slower response time during a conflict. Just wondering how everyone carries.
    for me... chamber hot, no exceptions.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    If your gun does not have a round chambered, then it is nothing more than a brick.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 06-17-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

what does having two small children have to do with you carrying a loaded firearm?

just makes sense to me to have it loaded
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    It is a fear thing. Not saying it is bad. Just a comfort thing that increases with being more familiar and confident with training and experience.
    I remember when I first started carrying when I was a youngster in Maine. I never carried with one in the pipe. But as you training and research and learn to have to end up figuring without a round in the chamber the odds of successfully defending are much lower.

few years back I was in a situation where I was required to draw. I was not carrying condition 1 at the time because I was not comfortable with it (because I was ignorant!).

The situation escalated so quickly that I barely made it to condition 1 in time before my hands were full.

My point it...dont be an idiot. Carry hot. If you arent comfortable with your sidearm to be carried how it is designed to be carried (one in the chamber), then look at an exploded view of the internal and external safeties.

If you are still not comfortable... take a round, pull the bullet, pour out the powder and put the casing (sans bullet and powder) in the chamber in condition 1. abuse the gun to simulate a drop, toss, slide, etc. It should not go off unless someone has messed with the gun and disabled the firing pin safety or something.

I know people who claim they dont carry condition 1 because they feel that the racking of a pistol will scare the BG and disable the situation. Let me tell you from my experience..... this is not true....and should NOT be depended on.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I used to keep a 1911 with the magazine not quite seated so I had to slap the magazine in and rack the slide when my children were very very young and my husband was away. It was my way of ensuring I didn't shoot one of my children -- I'm a very sound sleeper and wanted to ensure I was alert enough to know what I was doing. It was a conscious choice in a given circumstance, recognizing the strategic tradeoffs. My carry gun always had one in the chamber, though.

With experience, training, and no very young children in the house, I've changed my method of "nightstand carry". I'm still not sure that method was right, but it was right for me AT THE TIME.

Hummm,,,

I dont get this...
    Why doesnt a 1911 in condition ONE count. for obvious reasons... what reasons?
    And revolvers... do you carry with a loaded chamber under a lowered hammer? With the next chamber empty?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

When I first started carrying I didn't carry with the gun racked. I was sure I would be comfortable carrying that way. After a short period I started to carry that way. I'm very comfortable with my guns now and always carry with one in the chamber.

In my opinion you should carry in whatever makes you most comfortable. You have to weigh all the risks yourself.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

When I carried a 1911 as my primary I always carried it with a round in the chamber and the thumb safety engaged. I now carry a XD everywhere I go, and I always have a round ready to go.

The gun isn't going to go off, unless you got some cheap holster or old worn out one, and if its leather worn out it could bunch up and AD your gun.

I been carrying almost 2 years now and never had any problems or worry about "going off" There is nothing to worry about, I would be more worried about an unloaded gun on the hip because it would take time to rack it and cause more harm to one self.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 06-17-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    If your gun does not have a round chambered, then it is nothing more than a brick.
    Agreed. I don't care if you are from Israel, either.

Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    If you are still not comfortable... take a round, pull the bullet, pour out the powder and put the casing (sans bullet and powder) in the chamber in condition 1. abuse the gun to simulate a drop, toss, slide, etc. It should not go off unless someone has messed with the gun and disabled the firing pin safety or something.
    While this is a good test to build one's confidence in a firearm, please wear eye and ear pro if you actually try this. Igniting primers can be quite loud.

I have a small child, if I'm carrying then I'm carrying a firearm not a brick.

For my situational awareness concerns I might carry concealed when I have my child with me, but that firearm is always loaded. For the record, my firearm of choice is a Springfield XDM.

When I first started carrying working as a mechanic in VB, i kept it unchambered. FOR ONE WEEK.
    I had a guy come in causing all kinds of ****, ready to maul my coworkers at the drop of a dime. SOB was 7 foot tall 350 lbs....

I was just ohhhh s************!!!!!! Managed to sneak out of sight to the back storage room to rack one up. I didnt want it to be obvious (audiable)...that would probably just escalate it and no doubt get me in trouble. And I didnt want to be unprepared should that dime drop since this guy was very close to us.

After that...there has been one in the pipe, be it on my hip, in my pocket, under my steering wheel, etc....

Condition 1, or 0 for me. I carry a LCP condition zero as my daily. Have not lost any toes yet!
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

An unchambered handgun is not a sidearm. It's as useful as any other tool in a toolbox instead of at hand.

Sidearms are only so because they are at your side and ready to use.

Why do two small children have anything to do with this? Are they carrying it for you? Do you not want the ability to protect them?

I'm also apparently an idiot. I don't know why 1911 and revolver guys should not respond.
    Last edited by MAC702; 06-18-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    An unchambered handgun is not a sidearm. It's as useful as any other tool in a toolbox instead of at hand.

Sidearms are only so because they are at your side and ready to use.

Why do two small children have anything to do with this? Are they carrying it for you? Do you not want the ability to protect them?

I'm also apparently an idiot. I don't know why 1911 and revolver guys should not respond.
    Because! Revolvers have long heavy pulls and 1911's have thumb safety + grip safety.

How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Because! Revolvers have long heavy pulls and 1911's have thumb safety + grip safety.

Yeah. And?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Gun or a club?

Tools should always be used properly, and a gun is a tool for self defense.

I see no reason not to carry one in the pipe as otherwise it is nothing but a club. (And a high dollar one at that)

;>)

The only time I ever carried any semi-auto pistol with the chamber empty was when I was in the army. I've never had a problem carrying in condition 1. And I've been carrying since I was 18. I'm 56 now. I figure 34 years is a decent time.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I don't know why 1911 and revolver guys should not respond.
    I know why the revolver guys shouldn't respond

But for the 1911s, that was out of line(the OP). I agree, please explain.

[QUOTE=Lincoln7;1773974]I know why the revolver guys shouldn't respond

But for the 1911s, that was out of line(the OP). I agree, please explain.[/QUOT

1911s have a grip saftey which makes carrying while racked much safer. I dont know ANYONE that doesnt carry a 1911 unchambered. Last time I checked a .38 revolver doesnt need to be racked......Thats why I made the comment. Nothing against the 1911 or revovlers , I carry a Glock and wanted to hear from others that carry a DAO pistol, that is all...So was I really that out of line???? Not really and thanks for your feedback

You would be surprised at the number of people who think a 1911 is not safe in condition one.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=Tess;1773850]I used to keep a 1911 with the magazine not quite seated so I had to slap the magazine in and rack the slide when my children were very very young and my husband was away. It was my way of ensuring I didn't shoot one of my children -- I'm a very sound sleeper and wanted to ensure I was alert enough to know what I was doing. It was a conscious choice in a given circumstance, recognizing the strategic tradeoffs. My carry gun always had one in the chamber, though.

With experience, training, and no very young children in the house, I've changed my method of "nightstand carry". I'm still not sure that method was right, but it was right for me AT THE TIME.

That makes alot of sense to me. Your someone that at least understands where I am coming from in reguards to having small childern. Everyone else seems to be much older than me and their kids are around my age or they simply dont see why I feel uneasy about having my 2 yr old or 6 yr old on my strong side with a hot chamber.....I dont see what training has to do with this. I have had plenty of training and range time with firearms.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast