• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racked or unracked while OCing?

love4guns

Just a question to all that oc. Do you keep your gun chambered or not. 1911 and revolver carriers need not respond for obvious reasons. See I have two small children so normally my gun is not racked which could result in slower response time during a conflict. Just wondering how everyone carries.

Fallschirjmäger

It's been covered many, many, many, many times before.

My personal answer is this....
Can you GUARANTEE that you
will Always have both hands free to rack the slide?
will Never have your hand or arm being held in a deathgrip by a child or loved one?
will Never have a leashed dog on your arm jostling the hand you'd be using to rack the slide?
will Never be using your off-hand to hang on to something for dear life?
will Never be using your off-hand to keep an attacker at bay who got too close before you could react?
will Never be injured in your off-hand so that it's useless for racking the slide?

We carry pistols for the unexpected and because we're Not expecting trouble; that tends to put us 'behind the reaction curve' when trouble does occur.
If we WERE expecting trouble, I think most of us would be reaching for something a bit more powerful than just a hand pistol.

Anyone who's carried unloaded and racked the slide in response to a deadly threat will tell you they always had time to rack the slide.
on the other hand...
Anyone who didn't have time to rack the slide in response to a deadly threat probably won't have much to say, they're too busy being dead.

Last edited:

mk4

Just a question to all that oc. Do you keep your gun chambered or not. 1911 and revolver carriers need not respond for obvious reasons. See I have two small children so normally my gun is not racked which could result in slower response time during a conflict. Just wondering how everyone carries.

for me... chamber hot, no exceptions.

papa bear

what does having two small children have to do with you carrying a loaded firearm?

just makes sense to me to have it loaded

twoskinsonemanns

It is a fear thing. Not saying it is bad. Just a comfort thing that increases with being more familiar and confident with training and experience.
I remember when I first started carrying when I was a youngster in Maine. I never carried with one in the pipe. But as you training and research and learn to have to end up figuring without a round in the chamber the odds of successfully defending are much lower.

DJEEPER

few years back I was in a situation where I was required to draw. I was not carrying condition 1 at the time because I was not comfortable with it (because I was ignorant!).

The situation escalated so quickly that I barely made it to condition 1 in time before my hands were full.

My point it...dont be an idiot. Carry hot. If you arent comfortable with your sidearm to be carried how it is designed to be carried (one in the chamber), then look at an exploded view of the internal and external safeties.

If you are still not comfortable... take a round, pull the bullet, pour out the powder and put the casing (sans bullet and powder) in the chamber in condition 1. abuse the gun to simulate a drop, toss, slide, etc. It should not go off unless someone has messed with the gun and disabled the firing pin safety or something.

I know people who claim they dont carry condition 1 because they feel that the racking of a pistol will scare the BG and disable the situation. Let me tell you from my experience..... this is not true....and should NOT be depended on.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I used to keep a 1911 with the magazine not quite seated so I had to slap the magazine in and rack the slide when my children were very very young and my husband was away. It was my way of ensuring I didn't shoot one of my children -- I'm a very sound sleeper and wanted to ensure I was alert enough to know what I was doing. It was a conscious choice in a given circumstance, recognizing the strategic tradeoffs. My carry gun always had one in the chamber, though.

With experience, training, and no very young children in the house, I've changed my method of "nightstand carry". I'm still not sure that method was right, but it was right for me AT THE TIME.

1245A Defender

Hummm,,,

I dont get this...
Why doesnt a 1911 in condition ONE count. for obvious reasons... what reasons?
And revolvers... do you carry with a loaded chamber under a lowered hammer? With the next chamber empty?

Steeler-gal

When I first started carrying I didn't carry with the gun racked. I was sure I would be comfortable carrying that way. After a short period I started to carry that way. I'm very comfortable with my guns now and always carry with one in the chamber.

In my opinion you should carry in whatever makes you most comfortable. You have to weigh all the risks yourself.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

ocholsteroc

The gun isn't going to go off, unless you got some cheap holster or old worn out one, and if its leather worn out it could bunch up and AD your gun.

I been carrying almost 2 years now and never had any problems or worry about "going off" There is nothing to worry about, I would be more worried about an unloaded gun on the hip because it would take time to rack it and cause more harm to one self.

Last edited:

Lincoln7

If you are still not comfortable... take a round, pull the bullet, pour out the powder and put the casing (sans bullet and powder) in the chamber in condition 1. abuse the gun to simulate a drop, toss, slide, etc. It should not go off unless someone has messed with the gun and disabled the firing pin safety or something.

While this is a good test to build one's confidence in a firearm, please wear eye and ear pro if you actually try this. Igniting primers can be quite loud.

scouser

I have a small child, if I'm carrying then I'm carrying a firearm not a brick.

For my situational awareness concerns I might carry concealed when I have my child with me, but that firearm is always loaded. For the record, my firearm of choice is a Springfield XDM.

GreatDaneMan

When I first started carrying working as a mechanic in VB, i kept it unchambered. FOR ONE WEEK.
I had a guy come in causing all kinds of ****, ready to maul my coworkers at the drop of a dime. SOB was 7 foot tall 350 lbs....

I was just ohhhh s************!!!!!! Managed to sneak out of sight to the back storage room to rack one up. I didnt want it to be obvious (audiable)...that would probably just escalate it and no doubt get me in trouble. And I didnt want to be unprepared should that dime drop since this guy was very close to us.

After that...there has been one in the pipe, be it on my hip, in my pocket, under my steering wheel, etc....

Condition 1, or 0 for me. I carry a LCP condition zero as my daily. Have not lost any toes yet!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

An unchambered handgun is not a sidearm. It's as useful as any other tool in a toolbox instead of at hand.

Sidearms are only so because they are at your side and ready to use.

Why do two small children have anything to do with this? Are they carrying it for you? Do you not want the ability to protect them?

I'm also apparently an idiot. I don't know why 1911 and revolver guys should not respond.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

An unchambered handgun is not a sidearm. It's as useful as any other tool in a toolbox instead of at hand.

Sidearms are only so because they are at your side and ready to use.

Why do two small children have anything to do with this? Are they carrying it for you? Do you not want the ability to protect them?

I'm also apparently an idiot. I don't know why 1911 and revolver guys should not respond.

Because! Revolvers have long heavy pulls and 1911's have thumb safety + grip safety.

:D
:uhoh:

va_tazdad

Gun or a club?

Tools should always be used properly, and a gun is a tool for self defense.

I see no reason not to carry one in the pipe as otherwise it is nothing but a club. (And a high dollar one at that)

;>)