• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racked or unracked while OCing?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The only time I ever carried any semi-auto pistol with the chamber empty was when I was in the army. I've never had a problem carrying in condition 1. And I've been carrying since I was 18. I'm 56 now. I figure 34 years is a decent time.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

love4guns

I know why the revolver guys shouldn't respond :)

But for the 1911s, that was out of line(the OP). I agree, please explain.[/QUOT

1911s have a grip saftey which makes carrying while racked much safer. I dont know ANYONE that doesnt carry a 1911 unchambered. Last time I checked a .38 revolver doesnt need to be racked......Thats why I made the comment. Nothing against the 1911 or revovlers , I carry a Glock and wanted to hear from others that carry a DAO pistol, that is all...So was I really that out of line???? Not really and thanks for your feedback

love4guns

I used to keep a 1911 with the magazine not quite seated so I had to slap the magazine in and rack the slide when my children were very very young and my husband was away. It was my way of ensuring I didn't shoot one of my children -- I'm a very sound sleeper and wanted to ensure I was alert enough to know what I was doing. It was a conscious choice in a given circumstance, recognizing the strategic tradeoffs. My carry gun always had one in the chamber, though.

With experience, training, and no very young children in the house, I've changed my method of "nightstand carry". I'm still not sure that method was right, but it was right for me AT THE TIME.

That makes alot of sense to me. Your someone that at least understands where I am coming from in reguards to having small childern. Everyone else seems to be much older than me and their kids are around my age or they simply dont see why I feel uneasy about having my 2 yr old or 6 yr old on my strong side with a hot chamber.....I dont see what training has to do with this. I have had plenty of training and range time with firearms.

GlockMom

I have two small children. While out OC'ing I carry with one in the pipe. I have a Glock, shock and awe...:lol: hence my name. Glocks do not have a safety. So I use a paddle retention holster, the Fobus that is very very very difficult to draw from if you are not at the right angle and don't jerk it out properly (note: it is not the smoothest draw, as you have to jerk, but if I am drawing while out it is going to have to be fast anyway, it just takes practice). I also have a level two holster that you have to depress a button and has retention as well from Blackhawk.

We are currently working on what/how we are most comfortable with the nightstand draw/loaded gun. We are thinking of getting one of these. http://www.google.com/products/cata...ZQzfT7aVPKOh2QXttpDmAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CNsBEPICMAk

Currently due to little ones we keep the gun locked up at home, until we get one of those.

scouser

That makes alot of sense to me. Your someone that at least understands where I am coming from in reguards to having small childern. Everyone else seems to be much older than me and their kids are around my age or they simply dont see why I feel uneasy about having my 2 yr old or 6 yr old on my strong side with a hot chamber.....I dont see what training has to do with this. I have had plenty of training and range time with firearms.

My son is 2, I carry loaded. The gun is not going to fire unless the trigger is pulled. If you're scared of the gun buy one that you're not scared of. I quite like the Glock, but I made a decision that I wanted an extra level of safety on my firearm so I went for the XDM with its grip safety.

However, if you're carrying in a decent holster with the trigger completely covered like it should be I don't see what difference having a 2 or 6 year old on your strong side would make.

Think about this, if you do have to use your brick while out with your kids how are you going to keep control of them and load your gun at the same time? For me, I try as much as possible to keep my son on my left side, either holding my hand or on a leash attached to his backpack (the RCD Breakfast Club know what I mean), that way I have my right hand free to draw and fire. In your carry situation your quickest response would be to throw your Glock at your assailant.

It's hard to convey tone of voice when writing, so I want you to understand I'm not trying to come across as being mean or rude to you, I'm trying to make you think about what your options would really be if you found yourself in a SHTF situation while with your children.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I used to keep a 1911 with the magazine not quite seated so I had to slap the magazine in and rack the slide when my children were very very young and my husband was away. It was my way of ensuring I didn't shoot one of my children -- I'm a very sound sleeper and wanted to ensure I was alert enough to know what I was doing. It was a conscious choice in a given circumstance, recognizing the strategic tradeoffs. My carry gun always had one in the chamber, though.

With experience, training, and no very young children in the house, I've changed my method of "nightstand carry". I'm still not sure that method was right, but it was right for me AT THE TIME.

My sons are ages 14 and 12. I've had guns in my home before they existed. Whatever weapon I had for home defense, was fully loaded and ready to go. As they got older and more mobile, I modified my "tactics" for keeping my firearms out of their reach. When they got old enough to understand about firearms, I made them a deal. If they want to look at one, handle it, whatever, all they have to do is ask me. I unload it, make sure it's unloaded, then let them hold it, dry fire it (ALWAYS in a safe direction.) to their heart's content. When I first started this, years ago, they asked every day. Now it's maybe once or twice a month. The other part of the deal, they NEVER touch any of my firearms without asking me first. If they do, and I find out, they know they're in deep do-do.

To date, neither of us has violated that deal. When they ask, regardless how tired I am, I ALWAYS let them see whatever it is they want to see. And they have never touched one, without my permission. And yes, if they did, I'd know. I have my ways of knowing. :)

Tanner

You would be surprised at the number of people who think a 1911 is not safe in condition one.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Im willing to bet that most of the people who think that it is not are NEW. For example me! I am still new to OC and really guns for that matter.
At the risk of being evicted for failure to pay rent I have gone to the range a ton of times. I am comfertable with my firearm (auto orinance 1911) and have no issue with it what so ever. ( it could use a trigger job ) That being said until about a week ago I carried cold. Dont really know why because I was not worried about it going off. After alot of thought I decided that this condition would require me to throw my weapon at someone. I might as well shoot myself if this ever acctually happend.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Im willing to bet that most of the people who think that it is not are NEW. For example me! I am still new to OC and really guns for that matter.
At the risk of being evicted for failure to pay rent I have gone to the range a ton of times. I am comfertable with my firearm (auto orinance 1911) and have no issue with it what so ever. ( it could use a trigger job ) That being said until about a week ago I carried cold. Dont really know why because I was not worried about it going off. After alot of thought I decided that this condition would require me to throw my weapon at someone. I might as well shoot myself if this ever acctually happend.
Myself, I never had a problem with 1911's from day one. Then again, the guy who taught me to shoot was a huge fan of the 1911, and so that's what I learned to shoot on. Call me old fashioned if you want, but I don't see the advantage to having the safety on the trigger. Seems counter productive to me. :)

Marco

right for me AT THE TIME.

[That makes alot of sense to me. Your someone that at least understands where I am coming from in reguards to having small childern. Everyone else seems to be much older than me and their kids are around my age or they simply dont see why I feel uneasy about having my 2 yr old or 6 yr old on my strong side with a hot chamber.....I dont see what training has to do with this. I have had plenty of training and range time with firearms.

I have 4 kids, 11yrs, 8yrs, 2.5 yrs and 3 months old my HD firearms aren't available to curious hands, my carry gun is on my person and is always loaded except when it's not.
Carrying a gun with an empty chamber isn't the best way to carry though sometimes it the only way to remain armed and legal.

If you are concerned about your children tampering with your firearm I suggest educating them, this isn't implying you haven't.
I have found that children that are exposed and educated to firearms properly are the safest around them.

I instruct my kids to stay on my non dominate side except when told otherwise.
I taught them that if instructed to get behind me or get under a table etc... to do it now without question.
They are told don't touch dad/mom's holstered guns unless told to.

In the home:
When my now 19yr old nephew came to live with me when he was 6y I took a few moments to educate him about firearms, unloaded of course.
He was told he could touch/hold any of them if he wanted. However he had to ask me first so I could make them safe for him and that if he disobeyed the rules the punishement would be harsh!!!! That's the same rule I have for my kids now...

When I change the grips on a gun or get a new one 3 of my kids almost always ask to see/handle it as they like them but they really aren't into shooting yet.. my oldest is starting to show interest.

I don't leave guns lying around for little hands to get a hold of but my kids know not to touch any guns without my permission (they've been tested).
They've also been educated what to do if someone is handling firearms at a house they are visiting. If it's an adult carrying a firearm in a holster keep and eye out but ignore for the most part. If an adult is handling it ask them not to while you're are there if possible or leave the room and call me now.
If a child/friend is touching a gun leave the room NOW as you are telling them to put it down, lock yourself in the bath room and stay clear of the door and call me NOW! If the person is doing stupid/violent stuff leave NOW if possible or lock yourself in a bathroom, call me NOW.

As a parent and gun owner I talk with the parents of my kids friends before my kids are allowed to visit or their kids are allowed to visit to try to ensure they'll be no issues.

I apologize for being long winded.

Last edited:

BFDMikeCT

I have a S&W M&P 9mm. I also am accompanied by my 2 & 4 year old most of the time and always carry hot. Not to. Eat a dead horse but I carry for the unexpected and if it is not hot it is useless. My 4 Year old asked to see it a few times and I immediately emptied it and let her see it. She has not asked after the two times. I have had talks with her about how dangerous they are and that she never EVER touch it without me handing it to her.

carsontech

Activist Member
MY wife and I carry our guns "hot" everywhere, no exceptions. My wife's and I's firearms were "hot" when my wife was in labor. When it was time for her to get into the water (water birth) and start pushing she took her holster off with her firearm still in it.

I was armed until it was time for me to start helping by getting into the water, as well. The firearms stayed in their holsters, still "hot", close by, just in case.

Whether my infant son was being held by me or my wife, we were both wearing our firearms, with a round always chambered. Even now, with my son crawling around and walking along by holding onto furniture, and with my wife being pregnant, again, we are always armed.

Glocks, 1911s, Sigs... you name it and we have carried them,"hot", around infants, toddlers, small children, and so on.

Last edited:

mk4

Well, Agent19 isn't from VA, so he's likely talking about another state. I think Utah, without a license, your pistol has to have an empty chamber.

actually, agent19 does live in va.

Marco

Agent19 said:
Carrying a gun with an empty chamber isn't the best way to carry though sometimes it the only way to remain armed and legal

Cite, please. When, in VA, is it legal to carry but not to be loaded?

I never stated VA in my first post but I do live in VA.
That was the only way to OC in CA in populated areas before OC of handguns was outlawed.
Also when I lived out west UT required something stupid three step process to make a gun ready for non permit holders, don't know if that is still the case as I haven't been to UT in almost 15yrs.

Carry as in having a gun with/transport not necesarily on your person, maybe I should have made that clear in my first post.
Being this is an OC board not everyone has a CHP.
You can look those up for yourself.

Last edited: