Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Legality of black powder open carry

  1. #26
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, ho, ho!!

    Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho!

    That means literally that M1911's are exempt. Not, M1911A1's--they were adopted in 1921 or something. But replica M1911's are exempted by the statute. I know a fella who picked up a real one for a song. Widow. She didn't realize what it was. And, neither did he. It was only after he had a while and started digging into the subject that he discovered he had a M1911(no A1). And, I'm pretty sure somebody out there is making replicas.
    No. It doesn't. Read again. The word "and" is in there along with "fixed ammunition" and a few other important words regarding supply and non-domestic manufacture.

    The 1911 you describe would qualify if:

    The ammo it uses was no longer made in the USA, and not available by normal commercial channels. You're done right there because .45acp is everywhere.

    So, it'd have to be chambered in something that isn't made anywhere in the USA, and which you can't walk into a store and buy.

    You'd have to be able to prove that it isn't being made by anyone. Then contract someone in a foreign country to make one whole box for you. Then import that box of ammo.

    If anyone in the USA ever loaded one round of it, then you'd be out of luck again because it clearly states that the ammo cannot be manufactured in the USA for the gun that uses it to qualify. Regardless of whether you know about it, or if that's where you got the ammo. The fact that it exists is all that matters to nullify you. So, it's all about the ammo and impossible metrics. How do you prove that nobody in the country has, is, or ever will do that?

    Throw in ITAR abuses, and you're going to prison for supposedly divulging "state secrets" if you allow the mere information about this cartridge to leave the USA... So... The only way you can qualify a cartridge gun under Floriduh's "Antique Firearm" defintion, is to violate Federal ITAR... Or import a pre-existing antique gun who's cartridge design did not originate in the USA to begin with...

    Effing ridiculous.

    Oh, and we're not done. The very first sentence of 790.001 says that these very definitions are subject to being bent to suit whatever interest/agenda is wanted at the time. So even after you manage to do all that BS, 790.053's use of the phrase "any firearm" can be used to breach the definitions stated on a whim. So, you jumped through all those hoops only to end up wasting a ton of time and money, and end up in prison as a felon anyway.

    "...shall not be infringed." Doesn't mean much anymore, eh?

    If this doesn't make people mad enough to do something about it, what ever will?

    See this post for citations and the spaghetti references explained. It's a mess, but it's there...

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post2183390
    Last edited by ixtow; 03-08-2016 at 06:50 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  2. #27
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Will acknowledge that you dodged a personal bullet with having to eat the pages of Florida's positive OC law.....this time.
    I would love to have done it. But I've got a life to live. Moving on.

    For the record, I said I would eat every word I spoke here saying that it would never happen if Floriduh got Gold Star Status. I extended the offer to Green Status as a form of motivation to those who are supposedly on the same team, but hate me for constantly pointing out that they're un-useful elitists doing token silly things that will never work... I would have been glad to very literally eat my words. But it's never going to happen...

    Since it is unlikely that I will be in Floriduh, or even the USA, at such time that it does happen, if it ever does happen, I've rescinded the offer. It's just not worth the effort to watch it anymore, and I'll be too old to care... At this point, my words stand even if it does happen, so eating them would not serve symbolic. Too little, too late, even if it happened right now.

    I ask not your counsel nor your arms. May your chains rest lightly upon you, and posterity forget that you were my countrymen.

    Patience may be a virtue, but if you die of old age being "patient," totally not worth it. Life is for living, not waiting around forever while liars think themselves clever.
    Last edited by ixtow; 03-08-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  3. #28
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,347
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    --snipped--

    Patience may be a virtue, but if you die of old age being "patient," totally not worth it. Life is for living, not waiting around forever while liars think themselves clever.
    True.

    Doctors may lose patients, but should never lose their patience.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #29
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Doctors may lose patients, but should never lose their patience.
    No patient should have that much patience.

    Time kills us all.

    No Doctor ever cured anyone of time.

    I'd like to live free while I still can, not wait around forever while the Elites giggle and pretend to work.

    ...still not one word from any of them on this topic.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  5. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    No. It doesn't. Read again. The word "and" is in there along with "fixed ammunition" and a few other important words regarding supply and non-domestic manufacture.

    The 1911 you describe would qualify if:

    The ammo it uses was no longer made in the USA, and not available by normal commercial channels. You're done right there because .45acp is everywhere.

    So, it'd have to be chambered in something that isn't made anywhere in the USA, and which you can't walk into a store and buy.

    You'd have to be able to prove that it isn't being made by anyone. Then contract someone in a foreign country to make one whole box for you. Then import that box of ammo.

    If anyone in the USA ever loaded one round of it, then you'd be out of luck again because it clearly states that the ammo cannot be manufactured in the USA for the gun that uses it to qualify. Regardless of whether you know about it, or if that's where you got the ammo. The fact that it exists is all that matters to nullify you. So, it's all about the ammo and impossible metrics. How do you prove that nobody in the country has, is, or ever will do that?

    Throw in ITAR abuses, and you're going to prison for supposedly divulging "state secrets" if you allow the mere information about this cartridge to leave the USA... So... The only way you can qualify a cartridge gun under Floriduh's "Antique Firearm" defintion, is to violate Federal ITAR... Or import a pre-existing antique gun who's cartridge design did not originate in the USA to begin with...

    Effing ridiculous.

    Oh, and we're not done. The very first sentence of 790.001 says that these very definitions are subject to being bent to suit whatever interest/agenda is wanted at the time. So even after you manage to do all that BS, 790.053's use of the phrase "any firearm" can be used to breach the definitions stated on a whim. So, you jumped through all those hoops only to end up wasting a ton of time and money, and end up in prison as a felon anyway.

    "...shall not be infringed." Doesn't mean much anymore, eh?

    If this doesn't make people mad enough to do something about it, what ever will?

    See this post for citations and the spaghetti references explained. It's a mess, but it's there...

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post2183390


    Those who take the oath, and then work against it are liers, and oath breakers, they are commiting fraud, and that is a felony
    by taking public monies under false pretences ( A Paycheck) . Think about it !
    The oath is taken to "We The People" to honor and protect our rights,and our property, if able.
    To work against us and just taking our property, is commiting fraud.
    We do have the right of Citizens Arrest when laws are being broken even "Undercolor of law".
    Maybury vs. Madison 5 US (2 Cranch) 137,174,176, (1803) And
    16 AM Jur 2d, sec 177 & late sec 256

  6. #31
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin47 View Post
    Those who take the oath, and then work against it are liers, and oath breakers, they are commiting fraud, and that is a felony
    by taking public monies under false pretences ( A Paycheck) . Think about it !
    The oath is taken to "We The People" to honor and protect our rights,and our property, if able.
    To work against us and just taking our property, is commiting fraud.
    We do have the right of Citizens Arrest when laws are being broken even "Undercolor of law".
    Maybury vs. Madison 5 US (2 Cranch) 137,174,176, (1803) And
    16 AM Jur 2d, sec 177 & late sec 256
    Preaching to the choir.

    But are you going to gamble your freedom in a flagrantly corrupt kangaroo kourt for it?

    Let me know when you do.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  7. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    defining fear as wisdom is the creed of cowards and why we keep losing.
    agreed!

  8. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    790.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires.

     “Antique firearm” means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0790.001.html
    I just had to laugh my rear end off when I realized what this statute meant.

    You do realize the Browning 1915 and the Colt 1911 were both in production since 1918, right? The 1911 is still sold today - and EVERY ONE OF THEM is a replica!

  9. #34
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    790.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires.

    Antique firearm” means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0790.001.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon70 View Post
    I just had to laugh my rear end off when I realized what this statute meant.

    You do realize the Browning 1915 and the Colt 1911 were both in production since 1918, right? The 1911 is still sold today - and EVERY ONE OF THEM is a replica!
    You cannot exclude the other requirements, which you have selectively done.

    So neither the Browning 1915 nor the 1911 qualifies as an antique firearm - your reply is a gross misstatement.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Daytona Beach Area
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You cannot exclude the other requirements, which you have selectively done.

    So neither the Browning 1915 nor the 1911 qualifies as an antique firearm - your reply is a gross misstatement.
    I'm following this thread because of the way it was handled in another area. Grapeshot, it's one thing to agree to disagree, but what you did when you decided that it wasn't legal was to give legal advice. That is a crime under Florida law.

    “Antique firearm” means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

    I am a paralegal myself, and while I cannot speak to the legality of carrying a 1911, I can say this. If you want a definitive answer, then you will need to write the Florida Attorney General and ask an opinion. I searched Lexis and can't find any case law on the matter.

    As for the reading of a statute... when a statute says including, it does not mean that the statute covers only those firearms which exhibit those specific characteristics. The key words are (am my professor, the DA for Flagler Beach) said you kind of have to use plus signs and minus signs when trying to figure these things out. It sort of works.

    Antique firearm is any a firearm. That's a limitation to firearm.
    Manufactured before 1918. That's a limitation to a year specified.
    Replica thereof. That's opening it up a little more to all firearms which are functionally equivalent to one manufactured before the date - but according to Websters, (Blacks law had no definition) it has to be an exact copy of the actual weapon made by the same company.
    "And Also," adds more weapons to the exception.

    Legislative intent play a big part in this as well. It's not, "excluding requirements," to try to discuss and understand a statute.

    I might not have time tomorrow, but when I get a chance and one of the lawyers is free, I'll ask.

  11. #36
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,712
    ok, grabbing slurpy

    ipse
    Don't wear your freedom like a yoke and chains...

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  12. #37
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona Gun Owner View Post
    I'm following this thread because of the way it was handled in another area. Grapeshot, it's one thing to agree to disagree, but what you did when you decided that it wasn't legal was to give legal advice. That is a crime under Florida law.

    --snipped--
    So when you give an opinion, it is not "legal advice," but when I give an opinion (you who admittedly are not an attorney) claim I am giving legal advice. That would almost be funny if it were not so contradictory.

    I am clearly not giving legal advice, but pointing people to the law, and defining what I see.

    In Virginia, giving an opinion is not illegal. The matter of whether compensation is involved is what resolves the issue of "legal advice." That according to my go-to-legal-garu attorney. I have not been paid nor solicited payment of any kind for any of my opinions.

    BTW - I am not generally subject to the laws of Florida as I have my feet firmly planted in Virginia.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #38
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Didn't I bring up the topic of "Reading what you want to read?"

    I hope he doesn't get screwed...
    Last edited by ixtow; 04-26-2016 at 11:44 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  14. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Preaching to the choir.

    But are you going to gamble your freedom in a flagrantly corrupt kangaroo kourt for it?

    Let me know when you do.
    Yup your right ixtow, but when some of these oath breaking authorities, start
    getting arrested for fraud, then things might start looking up.
    There is the law of 1803, is still on the books. Also:
    16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256.
    But yes your right I to am an old guy and time is running out for me to,
    However the good news is us older guys, should lead the younger patriots
    as we got nothing to lose but arthritis and more hard times
    Be brave Bro, and stand your ground.
    Carry on ! Robin47

  15. #40
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,377

    Wowwie!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Very true.

    When I first starting to open carry full time, I was just as apprehensive as the next guy, but that soon fades away the more comfortable you become with it.

    Now I don't even think about it as it's just my normal routine and even the passing city PD or Sheriff's cars don't even get a second look from me.

    Remember, my OC time is always on the motorcyle (and fishing and shooting, of course).

    AD
    Sooo,,, necro wise,,, still no arrest!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  16. #41
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Sooo,,, necro wise,,, still no arrest!
    Defender,

    I'm sorry. I didn't really understand your cryptic message.

    Hopefully it wasn't something bad!

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  17. #42
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,377

    Well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Defender,

    I'm sorry. I didn't really understand your cryptic message.

    Hopefully it wasn't something bad!

    AD
    No,,, I was kidding someone for the necro post...
    And making a point of You Open Carrying for years in Florida.. and You dont get arrested or hassled!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  18. #43
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    No,,, I was kidding someone for the necro post...
    And making a point of You Open Carrying for years in Florida.. and You dont get arrested or hassled!!!!
    ADulay makes a point of mis-representing his buddy-buddy relationship with the cops he knows as the norm through out the state, and even the norm for others in the same area. It's not. He goes out of his way to "look the part" and portray the notion that his 1% circumstances are an example of the norm...

    I ride my motorcycle to go fishing, in a very rural area. The good-ol-boys won't let me be. Instead of trying to garner their favor, I stand by the law and leave it at that. You already know how well that works out...

    Unless you're soliciting special treatment, legal OC under the laws of Floriduh is actively chilled. Hell, you can get murdered by an SJW cop for legal CC and there are no repercussions!
    Last edited by ixtow; 06-03-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  19. #44
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    ADulay makes a point of mis-representing his buddy-buddy relationship with the cops he knows as the norm through out the state, ....
    Say what? The only active coppers I know down here, on a first name basis, are the two that show up for the weekly IDPA and USPSA matches.

    You make it sound like I hang out at the local FOP lounge or something.

    I do know that I have regularly had the county Sheriff's from at least 3 counties pull up next to me at traffic lights and not say a thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I guess once you pull me over two or three times, you kind of figure it's a waste of time to ask about the sidearm another time.

    Anyway, keep up the good fight and handle your "local" encounters with appropriate civility. It works for me.

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  20. #45
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Say what? The only active coppers I know down here, on a first name basis, are the two that show up for the weekly IDPA and USPSA matches.

    You make it sound like I hang out at the local FOP lounge or something.

    I do know that I have regularly had the county Sheriff's from at least 3 counties pull up next to me at traffic lights and not say a thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I guess once you pull me over two or three times, you kind of figure it's a waste of time to ask about the sidearm another time.

    Anyway, keep up the good fight and handle your "local" encounters with appropriate civility. It works for me.

    AD
    The matter is that you're a know person to them. You have a name and a description that includes your vehicle and plate. "Oh, it's just that guy."

    I did exactly what you do, in your stomping grounds, and it was not pretty.

    Reality is that cops are choosing to take this on a person by person basis. It's not your fault. You didn't make it that way. They can look you up and find notes about you. When someone they don't know OCs on the way to go fishing, they throw down.

    You ARE getting special treatment, and your experiences are not something that others should expect.

    It's not the same thing as the bullsh!t "white cis male privilege" crap... You didn't do this. It's the way cops are choosing to behave.

    When you give advice based on your perception, and your own experiences are not at all exemplary of the norm... I'll be really ironic here. It's the like the pretty girl that every hormonal challenged pseudo-man wants to please. she has no idea what real life is like for everyone else. She's never seen it. It's like confirmation bias that you don't get to choose.

    You did not decide to have cops act this way for you. But none-the-less, it is happening, and you put people in a dangerous position by promoting your experiences as the norm.

    I have had only two open carry experiences in Floriduh that did not involve guns being pointed at me, threats, insults, getting kicked, punched, and handcuffed. And all I did was sit there fishing, or ride my motorcycle to or from such.

    I guess I'm just not as pretty and svelt as you are. :-p
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  21. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin47 View Post
    Those who take the oath, and then work against it are liers, and oath breakers, they are commiting fraud, and that is a felony
    by taking public monies under false pretences ( A Paycheck) . Think about it !
    The oath is taken to "We The People" to honor and protect our rights,and our property, if able.
    To work against us and just taking our property, is commiting fraud.
    We do have the right of Citizens Arrest when laws are being broken even "Undercolor of law".
    Maybury vs. Madison 5 US (2 Cranch) 137,174,176, (1803) And
    16 AM Jur 2d, sec 177 & late sec 256
    18 USC 242 addresses deprivation of rights under color of law.

    And immunity does not exist until plead in court ~ as one can always waive their immunity....immunity is also an affirmative defense.

    So while a person may have immunity against conviction, it does not extend to arrest.

    We could have a thread(s) discussing citizen arrest .... or 50 for ea. state as its state specific....I would assume every carrier knows something about citizen's arrest that would be relevant to their carrying.

    If folks are carrying and have no idea about citizen arrest laws where they are at, they may run into issues.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-04-2016 at 11:10 AM.

  22. #47
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    The matter is that you're a know person to them. You have a name and a description that includes your vehicle and plate. "Oh, it's just that guy."

    I did exactly what you do, in your stomping grounds, and it was not pretty.

    Reality is that cops are choosing to take this on a person by person basis. It's not your fault. You didn't make it that way. They can look you up and find notes about you. When someone they don't know OCs on the way to go fishing, they throw down.
    Ixtow,

    I had to start somewhere, just like everybody else. The first year of daily open carry was very interesting. Not that I was harassed, but that I was stopped several times and each encounter turned out as well as could be expected.

    Yes, I still have at least one local LEO who just does not like ME carrying my sidearm openly and he's let me know about it. I can live with it. He'll get tired sooner or later and I'll continue to open carry.

    About the local open carry thing, you're probably correct. They've seen me enough times to realize that I'm not the problem or a "threat to society".

    However, from time to time I do leave the three county area and head way out of my local range area. I'll being making the motorcycle run down to Homestead, FL on the 18th for a USPSA match and then up to Melbourne for another. Head up to Ormand Beach area for one more and that should pretty much kill my 4 day weekend for sure. All of it open carrying, of course.

    Daytona and Ormand have always been interesting as the distances between ranges on the trip are substantial. Haven't had any problems with it yet, but it's always good to be prepared for the guy who is on a mission or something.

    I'm still planning on making a stop in your neck of the woods in August on my way to Sturgis.

    Perhaps we could OC up to lunch in Georgia as I pass on through.

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  23. #48
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Ixtow,

    I had to start somewhere, just like everybody else. The first year of daily open carry was very interesting. Not that I was harassed, but that I was stopped several times and each encounter turned out as well as could be expected.

    Yes, I still have at least one local LEO who just does not like ME carrying my sidearm openly and he's let me know about it. I can live with it. He'll get tired sooner or later and I'll continue to open carry.

    About the local open carry thing, you're probably correct. They've seen me enough times to realize that I'm not the problem or a "threat to society".

    However, from time to time I do leave the three county area and head way out of my local range area. I'll being making the motorcycle run down to Homestead, FL on the 18th for a USPSA match and then up to Melbourne for another. Head up to Ormand Beach area for one more and that should pretty much kill my 4 day weekend for sure. All of it open carrying, of course.

    Daytona and Ormand have always been interesting as the distances between ranges on the trip are substantial. Haven't had any problems with it yet, but it's always good to be prepared for the guy who is on a mission or something.

    I'm still planning on making a stop in your neck of the woods in August on my way to Sturgis.

    Perhaps we could OC up to lunch in Georgia as I pass on through.

    AD


    I got old and squishy. I don't ride long distances on it anymore.. :-p

    Also, not legal in GA. No turn signals. No rear brake. No... Uh, lots of stuff.
    Last edited by ixtow; 06-10-2016 at 02:24 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  24. #49
    Regular Member Mas49.56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    309
    So with the Supreme Court ruling Thursday, it appears if you modify your cap and ball open carry revolver to have a scope, reddot sight or laser you're still legally carrying a antique or replica. Cool.

  25. #50
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas49.56 View Post
    So with the Supreme Court ruling Thursday, it appears if you modify your cap and ball open carry revolver to have a scope, reddot sight or laser you're still legally carrying a antique or replica. Cool.
    Citation to the ruling, really interested in reading it.

    Found it, in the process of reading it. http://www.theledger.com/news/201609...plica-is-legal
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 09-27-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •