• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of black powder open carry

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
No,,, I was kidding someone for the necro post...
And making a point of You Open Carrying for years in Florida.. and You dont get arrested or hassled!!!!
ADulay makes a point of mis-representing his buddy-buddy relationship with the cops he knows as the norm through out the state, and even the norm for others in the same area. It's not. He goes out of his way to "look the part" and portray the notion that his 1% circumstances are an example of the norm...

I ride my motorcycle to go fishing, in a very rural area. The good-ol-boys won't let me be. Instead of trying to garner their favor, I stand by the law and leave it at that. You already know how well that works out...

Unless you're soliciting special treatment, legal OC under the laws of Floriduh is actively chilled. Hell, you can get murdered by an SJW cop for legal CC and there are no repercussions!

Last edited:

ADulay

ADulay makes a point of mis-representing his buddy-buddy relationship with the cops he knows as the norm through out the state, ....

Say what? The only active coppers I know down here, on a first name basis, are the two that show up for the weekly IDPA and USPSA matches.

You make it sound like I hang out at the local FOP lounge or something.

I do know that I have regularly had the county Sheriff's from at least 3 counties pull up next to me at traffic lights and not say a thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I guess once you pull me over two or three times, you kind of figure it's a waste of time to ask about the sidearm another time.

Anyway, keep up the good fight and handle your "local" encounters with appropriate civility. It works for me.

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Say what? The only active coppers I know down here, on a first name basis, are the two that show up for the weekly IDPA and USPSA matches.

You make it sound like I hang out at the local FOP lounge or something.

I do know that I have regularly had the county Sheriff's from at least 3 counties pull up next to me at traffic lights and not say a thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I guess once you pull me over two or three times, you kind of figure it's a waste of time to ask about the sidearm another time.

Anyway, keep up the good fight and handle your "local" encounters with appropriate civility. It works for me.

AD
The matter is that you're a know person to them. You have a name and a description that includes your vehicle and plate. "Oh, it's just that guy."

I did exactly what you do, in your stomping grounds, and it was not pretty.

Reality is that cops are choosing to take this on a person by person basis. It's not your fault. You didn't make it that way. They can look you up and find notes about you. When someone they don't know OCs on the way to go fishing, they throw down.

You ARE getting special treatment, and your experiences are not something that others should expect.

It's not the same thing as the bullsh!t "white cis male privilege" crap... You didn't do this. It's the way cops are choosing to behave.

When you give advice based on your perception, and your own experiences are not at all exemplary of the norm... I'll be really ironic here. It's the like the pretty girl that every hormonal challenged pseudo-man wants to please. she has no idea what real life is like for everyone else. She's never seen it. It's like confirmation bias that you don't get to choose.

You did not decide to have cops act this way for you. But none-the-less, it is happening, and you put people in a dangerous position by promoting your experiences as the norm.

I have had only two open carry experiences in Floriduh that did not involve guns being pointed at me, threats, insults, getting kicked, punched, and handcuffed. And all I did was sit there fishing, or ride my motorcycle to or from such.

I guess I'm just not as pretty and svelt as you are. :p

davidmcbeth

Banned
Those who take the oath, and then work against it are liers, and oath breakers, they are commiting fraud, and that is a felony
by taking public monies under false pretences ( A Paycheck) . Think about it !
The oath is taken to "We The People" to honor and protect our rights,and our property, if able.
To work against us and just taking our property, is commiting fraud.
We do have the right of Citizens Arrest when laws are being broken even "Undercolor of law".
Maybury vs. Madison 5 US (2 Cranch) 137,174,176, (1803) And
16 AM Jur 2d, sec 177 & late sec 256

18 USC 242 addresses deprivation of rights under color of law.

And immunity does not exist until plead in court ~ as one can always waive their immunity....immunity is also an affirmative defense.

So while a person may have immunity against conviction, it does not extend to arrest.

We could have a thread(s) discussing citizen arrest .... or 50 for ea. state as its state specific....I would assume every carrier knows something about citizen's arrest that would be relevant to their carrying.

If folks are carrying and have no idea about citizen arrest laws where they are at, they may run into issues.

Last edited:

ADulay

The matter is that you're a know person to them. You have a name and a description that includes your vehicle and plate. "Oh, it's just that guy."

I did exactly what you do, in your stomping grounds, and it was not pretty.

Reality is that cops are choosing to take this on a person by person basis. It's not your fault. You didn't make it that way. They can look you up and find notes about you. When someone they don't know OCs on the way to go fishing, they throw down.

Ixtow,

I had to start somewhere, just like everybody else. The first year of daily open carry was very interesting. Not that I was harassed, but that I was stopped several times and each encounter turned out as well as could be expected.

Yes, I still have at least one local LEO who just does not like ME carrying my sidearm openly and he's let me know about it. I can live with it. He'll get tired sooner or later and I'll continue to open carry.

About the local open carry thing, you're probably correct. They've seen me enough times to realize that I'm not the problem or a "threat to society".

However, from time to time I do leave the three county area and head way out of my local range area. I'll being making the motorcycle run down to Homestead, FL on the 18th for a USPSA match and then up to Melbourne for another. Head up to Ormand Beach area for one more and that should pretty much kill my 4 day weekend for sure. All of it open carrying, of course.

Daytona and Ormand have always been interesting as the distances between ranges on the trip are substantial. Haven't had any problems with it yet, but it's always good to be prepared for the guy who is on a mission or something.

I'm still planning on making a stop in your neck of the woods in August on my way to Sturgis.

Perhaps we could OC up to lunch in Georgia as I pass on through.

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Ixtow,

I had to start somewhere, just like everybody else. The first year of daily open carry was very interesting. Not that I was harassed, but that I was stopped several times and each encounter turned out as well as could be expected.

Yes, I still have at least one local LEO who just does not like ME carrying my sidearm openly and he's let me know about it. I can live with it. He'll get tired sooner or later and I'll continue to open carry.

About the local open carry thing, you're probably correct. They've seen me enough times to realize that I'm not the problem or a "threat to society".

However, from time to time I do leave the three county area and head way out of my local range area. I'll being making the motorcycle run down to Homestead, FL on the 18th for a USPSA match and then up to Melbourne for another. Head up to Ormand Beach area for one more and that should pretty much kill my 4 day weekend for sure. All of it open carrying, of course.

Daytona and Ormand have always been interesting as the distances between ranges on the trip are substantial. Haven't had any problems with it yet, but it's always good to be prepared for the guy who is on a mission or something.

I'm still planning on making a stop in your neck of the woods in August on my way to Sturgis.

Perhaps we could OC up to lunch in Georgia as I pass on through.

AD
bike.jpg

I got old and squishy. I don't ride long distances on it anymore.. :p

Also, not legal in GA. No turn signals. No rear brake. No... Uh, lots of stuff.

Last edited:

Mas49.56

So with the Supreme Court ruling Thursday, it appears if you modify your cap and ball open carry revolver to have a scope, reddot sight or laser you're still legally carrying a antique or replica. Cool.

WalkingWolf

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

This doesn't seem to be a link to the ruling but rather a link to a news report on the story.

Still looking.

All I could find was the previous ruling PDF, it is possible the ruling has not been downloaded to the internet yet. But there are sufficient news reports on the ruling to make it credible, I just posted one, IMO it is a valid citation.

Last edited: