• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti gun protester interaction in Yakima. (2 people)

Freedom1Man

http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/10285-fbi-stats-show-more-guns-less-crime
Mr. Arulanandam pointed out that only a handful of states had concealed-carry programs 25 years ago, when the violent-crime rate peaked. Today, 41 states either allow carrying without a permit or have “shall issue” laws that make it easy for just about any noncriminal to get a permit. Illinois and Washington, D.C., are the only places that refuse to recognize the right to bear arms. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence did not respond to requests for comment.

amlevin

Mr. Arulanandam pointed out that only a handful of states had concealed-carry programs 25 years ago, when the violent-crime rate peaked. Today, 41 states either allow carrying without a permit or have “shall issue” laws that make it easy for just about any noncriminal to get a permit.

Maybe it's time to split the firearm death statistics into different groups. Death's caused by those illegally carrying and using firearms and those caused by those lawfully carrying or using firearms. Also list suicides and accidents separately.

My list:

Firearm Deaths by unlawful means.

Firearm Deaths by Lawful means.

Firearm Deaths by Suicide or Accident.

Anyone want to wager that #1 on my list might be smaller than the others? #2 would be my vote for being the largest.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Maybe it's time to split the firearm death statistics into different groups. Death's caused by those illegally carrying and using firearms and those caused by those lawfully carrying or using firearms. Also list suicides and accidents separately.

My list:

Anyone want to wager that #1 on my list might be smaller than the others? #2 would be my vote for being the largest.

Add killings by law enforcement....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States

skiingislife725

My list:

It's very hard to find good statistics that split up the firearm-related deaths like that. But it does look like for major cities, about 60-80% of the firearm deaths are gang-related. I'd say the majority of the deaths are idiots going around shooting other idiots. It's a problem, sure. But the non-PC side of me says, "Well, the guy probably deserved it." Although the anti's probably wouldn't relate with that argument, so it's probably not one that would be a good one to use to get people to our side.

John Hardin

My list:

WISQARS allows you to query by these intents:

Unintentional
Violence-related
...Homicide and Legal intervention
......Homicide
......Legal Intervention
...Suicide
Undetermined intent

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_us.html

But I don't think "homicide" is further subdivided into "justifiable" and "felonious".

KBCraig

Gather a group of friends, make large signs such as the following, and JOIN THEIR PROTEST! If they dislike your "theme", argue with them about how you are kindred spirits and wish to acheive the same goal of rendering everyone defenseless, or at least keeping a list of "undesirables" to be disarmed at the first opportunity.
Similar tactic, completely different attitude: get a group of friends together, all OCing, with large signs declaring "GUN OWNERS SUPPORT FREE SPEECH", and stand next to them.

LkWd_Don

I was driving today and came across a very small protest on Nob Hill and 16[SUP]th[/SUP] in Yakima. Very nice looking older couple with signs explaining that everyone should have to register every handgun owned or purchased. I took a few moments to speak with them when I had finished shopping. I was not OC or CC as it was right at the campus, and did not feel like answering any questions related to that or getting off topic with them.

Very nice couple, I asked them why they felt that way and received the response that I expected.

They believe that the "300,000" people killed by handguns last year would have prevented if all handguns had to be registered. I did my best to be polite and pointed out that the number they had was a touch high, and that in 2010 is was around 8700 or 8800 gun related homicides. Granted I do not know the breakdown of that number, long guns, handguns, self defense, murder, etc. They seemed to think I was an idiot, but I was still nice enough to provide them with some paper pamphlets with some information on them. We talked for a few more minutes, then I had to get back to bring groceries home to the wife.

Any ideas on how or what I could have done to help them better understand that they are, for lack of any better term, wrong? I know some people will not be swayed, but they seemed to at least be willing to listen to me.

Attached the PDF of my numbers for 2010, I do not currently have anything more recent. I want to say that is from The Guardian.

It looks like you have a pdf version of the 2009/2010 FBI Gun Crime stats, I have seen the 2011 version and am trying to find my way back to it. But, to start with, here is a article that shows that gun ownership is up and crime is down for 2011.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/18/gun-ownership-up-crime-down/
And a link to the same report from the FBI with a nice graphic.
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/september/crime_091911/crime_091911

This is about the closest I can get to a complete 2011 report. It is broke down into multiple files by State alphabetically
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...jan-dec-2011/data-tables/table-4/table-4/view

Last edited: