• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Multiple handgun law changing 7/1/12

OC_va_gal

Hi everyone. I was reading several articles that our govenor repealed the law of the one handgun a month law (except those few exceptions I.e ccw permits etc.) to be starting on 7/1/12. Has anyone heard or know more about this?

Also does anyone know the answer or can help me with this? I went to the gun show 6/8/12 and bought a new gun. I have several in my collection and wish to trade one of mine for a new gun. Since its less than 30 days (and before the law changing) if that would count?

TFred

Hi everyone. I was reading several articles that our govenor repealed the law of the one handgun a month law (except those few exceptions I.e ccw permits etc.) to be starting on 7/1/12. Has anyone heard or know more about this?
I think it's been mentioned once or twice... (and ya, I'm poking fun at you...:D) If there is one thing we talk to death around here, it's all the gun-related bills and laws that come out of every General Assembly session. Just take a quick look back to the messages from the December-March time frame.

Also does anyone know the answer or can help me with this? I went to the gun show 6/8/12 and bought a new gun. I have several in my collection and wish to trade one of mine for a new gun. Since its less than 30 days (and before the law changing) if that would count?
ETA: Just re-read your question. One of the exemptions to the OGAM law has always been to replace a gun that you are selling (or trading, etc.) So you should be able to do that at any time.*

The law takes effect on July 1st. So that means on June 30, you would not be eligible to buy a second handgun within 30 days, unless you qualify for one of the currently existing exceptions. The next day, July 1st, you should be able to.

Of course with as much computer troubles as they have... it will be interesting for everyone (not just you) to see if it works. Anybody else expecting to be in a position to test the new law?

TFred

* g. A person who trades in a handgun at the same time he makes a handgun purchase and as a part of the same transaction, provided that no more than one transaction of this nature is completed per day;

Last edited:

OC_va_gal

Thanks for your help guys! I'm going to see if I can trade my gun today and if it works. I read that little exception and wording was a bit confusing. Thought that mean trade the gun the same day you buy a gun.

ocholsteroc

Thanks for your help guys! I'm going to see if I can trade my gun today and if it works. I read that little exception and wording was a bit confusing. Thought that mean trade the gun the same day you buy a gun.

Theres a big difference in trading and consignment.. You are likely to get 100-200$ less on a trade than what the guns worth. I put mine on consignment and I am going to make $100 more than I would to trade it in.

Which gun do you have for trading in?

Last edited:

Marco

If you aren't a VCDL member consider joining.
The free VA Alerts will help to keep you up to date with what is happening in VA with regards to gun rights/personal defense.
It's the best $25 you'll spend to protect your rights.

Now VCDL isn't a $ and forget type of organization as it is made up of members that volunteer their time/knowledge/energy to maintain and advance gun rights for all in VA.

While I don't always agree with the avenue taken I support the efforts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join.html
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

Here are the new gun laws ***going into effect on July 1, 2012***

BILLS PUT IN AT VCDL'S REQUEST

SB 67 (Senator Stanley) [and HB 754 (Delegate Cline)] - prohibits localities from requiring new CHP applicants be fingerprinted. Bottom line: no fingerprinting in Virginia for CHPs, including both new applications and renewals. (VCDL did not request HB 754.)

HB 375 (Delegate Pogge) - forbids localities and their authorities, departments, and agencies from prohibiting employees storing firearms in their private vehicles while at work. Bottom line: local government employees are no longer disarmed to and from work.

SB 563 (Senator Ruff) - a "clean up" bill that fixes various things in the concealed weapon code:
* Anyone going to or from a range or to or from a training class can legally transport their concealed firearm if it is securely wrapped
* The Court must provide the exact reason for denying a CHP application
* A person may apply for a new CHP, or do a renewal, by mail
* The Court shall mail a CHP to the applicant when the CHP is ready
* Only the information that is specifically listed in the law shall be required by the Court for CHP applicants

OTHER BILLS

HB 20 (Delegate Wilt) and SB 245 (Senator Obenshain) - clarifies that firearms can be carried and transported during a state of emergency. Government emergency shelters can ban guns, however. Bottom line: during a state of emergency the state and local government can only disarm you while in a government shelter. Normal prohibitions (carrying on K-12 school grounds, for example) still apply, however.

HB 22 (Delegate Cole) - forbids localities from holding a gun buy-up without a local ordinance authorizing it. It also requires the locality to try to sell any firearms that are turned in. For firearms that cannot be sold, the locality can destroy them. Bottom line: localities have more hoops to jump through and cannot waste tax payer money when doing a gun buy-up.

HB 26 (Delegate Cole) - makes failure to produced a CHP and a photo ID when demanded by law enforcement while a CHP holder is carrying a concealed handgun a **civil** penalty of $25. Bottom line: if you forget your CHP and/or photo ID, it could cost $25 in fines (but not a crime).

HB 288, (Delegate Sherwood) - permits city or county treasurers to be able to carry in courthouses while conducting their official duties.

SB 323 (Senator Carrico) and HB 940 (Delegate Lingamfelter) - eliminates the One-Handgun-A-Month limitation completely. Bottom line: no one has to worry about committing a crime because they can't remember the exact date they purchased their last handgun and Virginia is no longer rationing a legal product.

SB 663 (Senator Smith) - makes a CHP a valid form of identification for voting purposes.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
IMPORTANT: It is our intention to honor all "remove" requests promptly.
To unsubscribe from this list, or change the email address where you
receive messages, please go to:
https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=6903859&id_secret=6903859-d212d342

Last edited:

Marco

Trade it at a gun shop and you'll get screwed!!!
Why not sell or trade it on VAGT: http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary
It's free to join/post/buy/sell/trade.. hint pics sell guns.. as does a fair $, know what you have and the value and know what you want and it's value... before hand.

OC_va_gal

I ended up doing a consignment at a local gun shop as he would only give me half of what it's worth but doing the consignment gave me an extra $200 more than the trade in is worth. I've read up the law changing and thank goodness as I thought that law was ridiculous anyways!