Thread: The futility of gun turn-ins

West Allis, WI

The futility of gun turn-ins

This year's turn-in will no doubt garner a decent haul of weapons. But for anyone anticipating a drop in gun violence, it will mostly yield disappointment.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Wheat Ridge Colorado
    Im just shaking my head. Nothing to say.

earth's crust
    Chicago's fine ... just 7 deaths this weekend ....

SW Idaho

Thumbs up

Good post...I shared the article with my friends.

In researching whether or not one could hypothetically utilize this gubmint service to dispose of broken weaponry and come out ahead in the deal, I stumbled across this gem. Enjoy:
    Montgomery (AL) Gun Buy-Back: Don’t Bring Us Your Broken Ass Guns
    Posted on May 19, 2011 by Robert Farago

The burghers of Montgomery, Alabama seem to have woken-up to an interesting, not entirely unpredictable, in fact totally obvious problem with their “gun buyback scheme”: people bring old, broken-ass guns. Weapons that are no more dangerous than a baseball bat. Less. Unlike most cities and police departments, Montgomery isn’t just going to ignore the issue and claim victory (showing the media the few weapons that look both functional and scary). “Instead of offering $50 per gun, the city will pay $50 per person,” reports. “This is being done to discourage people who might misuse the program as a way to unload defective weapons, said Martha Earnhardt, a spokeswoman for the Montgomery Department of Public Safety.” Turns out . . .
    The city held its first gun buyback program in 2000 and quickly was overwhelmed by the response, running out of money within 90 minutes, according to Montgomery Advertiser archives.
    A councilman at the time made the observation that there were instances of people turning in as many as 20 guns at one time during that buyback, which offered $50 per gun.

. . .
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 06-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.