Thread: Question from a Kentucky man

Question from a Kentucky man

out of curiosity how much of a hassle is it to purchase a pistol or any other firearm out in California? not going there anytime soon just bored and curious

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    out of curiosity how much of a hassle is it to purchase a pistol or any other firearm out in California? not going there anytime soon just bored and curious
    Per federal law, with very rare exception, one cannot buy a handgun in a state other then one's state of residence.

not trying to be a smart ass dude, but read the entire post. I am asking, for you folk that live out yonder if you wanna buy a gun, how much hassle and hoops do you have to go threw.

I'm also interested in the answer to this question as I might be moving there for work soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Goto store.
    Fill our forms.
    Pay money.
    Wait ten 24 hour periods. This is often called 10-day gun jail
    Take gun home.

so there is no permits to buy before you buy a firearm? just a 10 day wait. I know you got a 10 round mag limit and various other stuff. is California as anti-gun as the media makes it out to be? i'm sure it depends on what part of the state your in.

No license to buy but there is a 'handgun safety certificate' test one must pass to buy a pistol. To purchase pistols new from an FFL the hand gun must be listed on the state's 'not unsafe roster'. To carry your pistol loaded and concealed (not unloaded locked in a case for transport) one needs a license to carry issued by a sheriff or municiplal CoP (hard to get in metropolitan area generally). We do not have unlicensed loaded open carry like Kentucky except for some areas of some unincorporated county territory. We have a ban on unregistered self loading centerfire rifles which resemble AR-15s and AK-47s (with exceptions). Also No Knob Creek here; most NFA items are not accessible due to state law.

And the legislature is currently attempting to ban the open carrying of unloaded long arms having generally banned the open carrying of unloaded pistols last year.

And we get to have fun following the lawsuits against the government: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Li...st_and_Present
    Last edited by cato; 06-24-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    Per federal law, with very rare exception, one cannot buy a handgun in a state other then one's state of residence.
    Please cite federal statute that prohibits buying a handgun from a state you dont reside in. Not doubting you. I have never heard this before and would like to have concrete knowledge of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4 View Post
    Please cite federal statute that prohibits buying a handgun from a state you dont reside in. Not doubting you. I have never heard this before and would like to have concrete knowledge of the law.
    Info on the lawsuit filed last year to challenge the law: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=447295

&

http://ia700608.us.archive.org/34/it...65997.17.0.pdf
    Last edited by cato; 06-24-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4 View Post
    Although I generally don't like citing a .gov website, because they are often wrong, this is BATF's interpretation with reference to the actual federal regs.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...#accessContent
    From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]