• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question from a Kentucky man

Curtis C

out of curiosity how much of a hassle is it to purchase a pistol or any other firearm out in California? not going there anytime soon just bored and curious

mjones

out of curiosity how much of a hassle is it to purchase a pistol or any other firearm out in California? not going there anytime soon just bored and curious

Per federal law, with very rare exception, one cannot buy a handgun in a state other then one's state of residence.

Curtis C

not trying to be a smart ass dude, but read the entire post. I am asking, for you folk that live out yonder if you wanna buy a gun, how much hassle and hoops do you have to go threw.

mjones

Goto store.
Fill our forms.
Pay money.
Wait ten 24 hour periods. This is often called 10-day gun jail
Take gun home.

Curtis C

so there is no permits to buy before you buy a firearm? just a 10 day wait. I know you got a 10 round mag limit and various other stuff. is California as anti-gun as the media makes it out to be? i'm sure it depends on what part of the state your in.

cato

No license to buy but there is a 'handgun safety certificate' test one must pass to buy a pistol. To purchase pistols new from an FFL the hand gun must be listed on the state's 'not unsafe roster'. To carry your pistol loaded and concealed (not unloaded locked in a case for transport) one needs a license to carry issued by a sheriff or municiplal CoP (hard to get in metropolitan area generally). We do not have unlicensed loaded open carry like Kentucky except for some areas of some unincorporated county territory. We have a ban on unregistered self loading centerfire rifles which resemble AR-15s and AK-47s (with exceptions). Also No Knob Creek here; most NFA items are not accessible due to state law.

And the legislature is currently attempting to ban the open carrying of unloaded long arms having generally banned the open carrying of unloaded pistols last year.

And we get to have fun following the lawsuits against the government: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Litigation_Past_and_Present

Last edited:

defcon4

Per federal law, with very rare exception, one cannot buy a handgun in a state other then one's state of residence.

Please cite federal statute that prohibits buying a handgun from a state you dont reside in. Not doubting you. I have never heard this before and would like to have concrete knowledge of the law.

cato

Last edited:

mjones

Please cite federal statute that prohibits buying a handgun from a state you dont reside in. Not doubting you. I have never heard this before and would like to have concrete knowledge of the law.

Although I generally don't like citing a .gov website, because they are often wrong, this is BATF's interpretation with reference to the actual federal regs.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#accessContent
From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]