• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Air Pistols

BlitzAce

I have a friend who is 18 years old. He is wondering if it is all right to open carry a C02 air pistol, that is registered in his name. He lives in a neighborhood where people constantly call him names and attempt to steal from him. He's thinking that if he is open carrying a pistol that looks identical to an actual firearm, that they would think twice about bothering him. He said he would never pull it on someone, and actually has tactical shooting training from his father. I'm also wondering if this is an okay idea.

DamonK

I have a friend who is 18 years old. He is wondering if it is all right to open carry a C02 air pistol, that is registered in his name. He lives in a neighborhood where people constantly call him names and attempt to steal from him. He's thinking that if he is open carrying a pistol that looks identical to an actual firearm, that they would think twice about bothering him. He said he would never pull it on someone, and actually has tactical shooting training from his father. I'm also wondering if this is an okay idea.

Personally, I wouldn't. In some places you can carry a firearm, but not an imitation. If he has a problem with bullies, he aught to take up baseball. Then he would have a good excuse to carry a bat around. :D

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

BlitzAce

Yeah, I told him to carry a retractable nightstick around or pepper spray. I guess he wants a gun, because he's an avid shooter because of his father. Guess he should wait 'til he's 21 to buy one then?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

At least wait until he is old enough to register one. "Register", seriously?

kywildcat581

I know I am not in your area, but rather than shooting someone with an air pistol and really ticking them off, it sounds to me like he needs to learn to defend himself and stop the situation the right way.

For the open carry debate of an air pistol? He may as well carry a cap gun... and I am not sure about your state laws but if conflict did happen again it would be easy for the bully to mash him like a bug when he has the bat that was mentioned.. just a simple statement that he attacked the bully with a bat and the bully defended himself woud be really easy considering the situation.

Bully's need to be put in check.. but I am not sure that "appearing" to be packing is the right angle.

I OC'd before obtaining my concealed permit.. and still will on occasion when it is comfortable todo so versus concealed.. but open carrying a firearm.. I hope.. is not being driven by people who want to appear superior because they are carrying. That is the wrong reason to carry any weapon openly.

I dealt with being picked on a lot growing up... we didn't have nice clothes and nice shoes and we did not have the nicest things... people are mean and cold hearted and will beat someone verbally until they are down.

Maybe your friend would be able to purchase a less threatening self defense device for actual use on his attacker.. are stun guns and pepper spray legal there? Those should be able to be concealed in a pocket, and if not - mabe in a small pouch. That may keep the bully off his back once he gets a small taste of that spray/stun.

I am not an attorney, not am i familiar with state laws or local law in your area.... but just trying to mention a few other options.

Sometimes the appearance of being dangerous is not enough... big guys get robbed too.. god bless!