• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hidden LEOs

Sorcice

My friend and I were talking about his recent warning for a tail light being out when he mentioned a hiding leo and how illegal that was. So here is my question. Is it in fact legal for a leo to hide his car behind a line of trees, rock wall, snow berm etc and then clock you as you go by? I thought it was but don't know for sure. Cites would be appreciated.

HolyOrangeJuice

I know we tend to stop tail light/head light out deals for courtesy reasons. How the heck else are you suppose to know your lights aren't working. Also, you never know what a tail light out may lead to on a traffic stop.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Late model cars provide failed bulb indication.

My cruise control is disabled by a failed brake light bulb. I can see my head, tail, brake and turn signal-lights light-up unlit streets or reflect in near-by cars. A full set of spare bulbs is in each access to the bulb holder. I noticed recently that the side marker bulbs have not failed in nine years.

Older model cars turn signal blink rate was affected by the number of operating bulbs.

My most recent traffic stop was in 1977 while driving my '73 911E.

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

Older model cars turn signal blink rate was affected by the number of operating bulbs.

unless you buy a heavy duty flasher then no matter how many turn signals you have out it will not effect the flash rate
heavy duty flashers were popular for people who pulled trailers alot

Last edited:

NoTolerance

Late model cars provide failed bulb indication.

My cruise control is disabled by a failed brake light bulb. I can see my head, tail, brake and turn signal-lights light-up unlit streets or reflect in near-by cars. A full set of spare bulbs is in each access to the bulb holder. I noticed recently that the side marker bulbs have not failed in nine years.

I got pulled over last week for no license plate lights. Both bulbs were burned out. Never would've known had it not been for the stop.

Although a quick stop that resulted in nothing more than a verbal warning, I was a little irritated by it. As the LEO asked for my license, another LEO simultaneously approached on the passenger side and asked my minor son for his ID. He just got his driver's license a couple months ago and before I could say "boo" he had it out and handed it over. That really pissed me off (probably more than it should have). Not only did he have NO obligation to produce ID, but the LEO, in essence, questioned my child without my permission.

And yes, for those paying attention, I did get pulled over twice for different violations within 24 hours last weekend - neither event resulting in a ticket. :eek:

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I failed to record either encounter. :eek:

ManInBlack

As the LEO asked for my license, another LEO simultaneously approached on the passenger side and asked my minor son for his ID. He just got his driver's license a couple months ago and before I could say "boo" he had it out and handed it over. That really pissed me off (probably more than it should have). Not only did he have NO obligation to produce ID, but the LEO, in essence, questioned my child without my permission.

Well, on the bright side, at least you will (I'm sure) talk to your son about his rights and the correct response in such a situation, which is far better than what most would do (probably smack him upside the head for not having his papers ready when the Gestapo Kriminalinspektor...er...armed revenue collection agent...er...police officer approached your vehicle).

Last edited:

NoTolerance

Well, on the bright side, at least you will (I'm sure) talk to your son about his rights and the correct response in such a situation, which is far better than what most would do (probably smack him upside the head for not having his papers ready when the Gestapo Kriminalinspektor...er...armed revenue collection agent...er...police officer approached your vehicle).

We've had talks prior to this, but mostly with the thought in mind that he would be the one driving and interacting with LEO. I did use this as another opportunity to teach him a little more about his rights.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisc. Stats said:
§345.22 Authority to arrest without a warrant.
A person may be arrested without a warrant for the violation of a traffic regulation if the traffic officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person is violating or has violated a traffic regulation.

§345.23 Officer’s action after arrest without a warrant.
If a person is arrested without a warrant for the violation of a traffic regulation, the arresting officer shall issue a citation under s.345.11, and in addition:
(1) May release the person; or
(2) Shall release the person when he or she:
(3) Shall, if the alleged violator is not released under sub. (1) or (2), ...
(4) Shall, if the alleged violator is released under sub. (1) or (2), ...
No authority to interrogate (two occifers non-consensual).

Last edited:

Aknazer

unless you buy a heavy duty flasher then no matter how many turn signals you have out it will not effect the flash rate
heavy duty flashers were popular for people who pulled trailers alot

Not true. My '96 Camaro flat out won't flash if one of the bulbs are out (the bulb that works will just stay on and the flasher on the dash stays on as well). I've also seen PLENTY of cars where the flasher is flashing about 2x as fast as normal and when I could check the other blinker (such as on a friend's car), sure enough the other blinker was out.

M

McX

hiding for an investigation or stake out is one thing, hiding otherwise is revenuing to me.

oliverclotheshoff

Not true. My '96 Camaro flat out won't flash if one of the bulbs are out (the bulb that works will just stay on and the flasher on the dash stays on as well). I've also seen PLENTY of cars where the flasher is flashing about 2x as fast as normal and when I could check the other blinker (such as on a friend's car), sure enough the other blinker was out.

what you said is right with a standard dutyl flasher i was referring to a HEAVY DUTY flasher which will allow a turn signal to flash at a steady rate even with one, two or all of your turn signals burnt out

Last edited:

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I drive for a living. Every time I fill my tank I'm walking around checking lights/tires/etc. I recommend everyone do that.

Its saved me a couple of PD interactions,, saved me from loosing a trailer tire (1 lug nut left on it) and also saved me an entire trailer (tongue was about to snap right behind the pintle hitch).

Cops look for any reason to pull people over. Usually I'm not harassed. Cop just basically gives a "heads up" to me and I don't even get the fix it ticket.

One time a cop pulled me over for a burnt out tail light. This guy was a power tripping ***** (Milwaukee PDF, surprise surprise). This guy had me stand outside the truck for 45 minutes because I refused to allow him to search my vehicle while he ran my drivers license. Second and third cop show up, and finally a 4th unit pulls up. 4th unit was the K9 unit. They pulled the dog out and had the dog sniff around my truck. Dog started sniffing real hard at the rear panel (its a utility bucket truck with side bins) dog wasn't barking, just sniffing. Most likely at the road kill I had hit a few miles back.

So, now I'm in handcuffs in the back of the squad car. They are tearing my truck apart, pulling company gear out and throwing it on the sidewalk. They walk the dog around my stuff, and nothing. Dickhead pulls me out of his car and starts demanding I tell him what I'm carrying. I started listing off the equipment that was on the ground.

Hour and a half later, I'm let go with a $55 equipment violation.

Cops are not friends. Don't even know if friends who are cops can still be friends. Always check your vehicle. Can save you a lot of headache

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2