Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Disheartening Contact with Elmore County Deputy

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,560

    Angry Disheartening Contact with Elmore County Deputy

    Let me preface this by saying that in all of my previous contacts with the Elmore County Sheriff's Department, I have found them to be respectful and nonchalant about my right to open carry.

    HOWEVER

    I am finishing up a couple of degrees at BSU right now, and in my last poli. sci. class, I have an Elmore County Sheriff's Deputy as a fellow student. I've had a couple of classes with him before, and he is a major-league tool. Today, a buddy and I were talking about state firearms laws, and I mentioned that open carry in courthouses and jails is not statutorily prohibited in Idaho. Mr. Deputy butts in, and assures us that it is a "major felony" to carry in any jail. I asked him to show me the Idaho code, and turned away, whereupon he quickly said, "Oh, it's a federal law!" I again told him to show me, and then ignored him. He tried to flash his badge to prove his point, but we just made fun of him.

    He spent all class searching on his tablet, and at the end, he tried to show me a USC, the title of which was "Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in federal facilities." I pointed this out for him, whereupon he tried to show me the Idaho code which bans concealed carry in those locations. Again, I pointed out his error. Then he tried to say that "any area we say is prohibited is illegal," and "we just have to post a sign." I tried to mention preemption and the fact that signs don't carry the force of law in Idaho, but I was already so steamed that I just told him, in front of the whole class, that it is a shameful state of affairs to have cops making up the law as they go along, and that flashing a shiny piece of government-issued costume jewelry to prove a point is beyond lame.

    Seriously considering writing a letter to the Elmore Sheriff expressing my concerns.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 06-19-2012 at 05:39 PM.

    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  2. #2
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    8,153
    Too funny. Good work and I hope that fella gets a poor grade. You just made my day.....+1 to you Sir.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    I'm friends with a lot of the Elmore County Deputies and have only run into one tool that thought he was gods gift to LE. He thought he could make up laws and everyone had to do what he said, that he was a god due to having a badge. Sounds like the same guy, I hope I never ever run into him again.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Super Saiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    ...I just told him, in front of the whole class, that it is a shameful state of affairs to have cops making up the law as they go along, and that flashing a shiny piece of government-issued costume jewelry to prove a point is beyond lame.
    LMAO! Awesome!

    What's that, though? No threat of arrest for disorderly conduct? I'm surprised...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,560

    Thumbs up

    Had round 2 with him today. I brought in a stack of Idaho gun law trifolds, with the relevant portions highlighted, and distributed them to the class. Once proven wrong, all he had to say was the typical cop response: "Well, I still work for somebody, so I'm telling you that if you try to enter our courthouse or jail, you will be arrested." It's amazing how putting the responsibility onto superiors seems to absolve the consciences of a subset of the population. These depraved individuals would have been happily gassing victims at Auschwitz because hey, they still work for somebody.

    I told him that it is unfortunate that these violations of the law have to get sorted out in court, where the citizen taxpayer foots the whole bill. He then tried to tell me that he's a taxpayer, too. I replied that when one's entire income consists of confiscated property, it is hard to say that he pays any real "tax" on that confiscated property. I told him that he has to realize that he "works" in the consumptive (aka parasitic) sector, while the rest of us dwell in the productive. Further, I told him that his sector produces no goods or services that people desire to voluntarily purchase, and must rely on accosting citizens and relieving them of their property by force. When he tried to mutter a reply, my buddy Mike loudly and plainly told him, "Don't speak; you've been proven to be full of sh*t." I just smiled as a couple of girls giggled.

    The rest of the class was dumbfounded. Deputy D*ck had nothing left to say, and went back to his seat red-faced.

    I don't expect to get out of any traffic tickets in Elmore County in the future; that's for sure.

    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  6. #6
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Had round 2 with him today. I brought in a stack of Idaho gun law trifolds, with the relevant portions highlighted, and distributed them to the class. Once proven wrong, all he had to say was the typical cop response: "Well, I still work for somebody, so I'm telling you that if you try to enter our courthouse or jail, you will be arrested." It's amazing how putting the responsibility onto superiors seems to absolve the consciences of a subset of the population. These depraved individuals would have been happily gassing victims at Auschwitz because hey, they still work for somebody.

    I told him that it is unfortunate that these violations of the law have to get sorted out in court, where the citizen taxpayer foots the whole bill. He then tried to tell me that he's a taxpayer, too. I replied that when one's entire income consists of confiscated property, it is hard to say that he pays any real "tax" on that confiscated property. I told him that he has to realize that he "works" in the consumptive (aka parasitic) sector, while the rest of us dwell in the productive. Further, I told him that his sector produces no goods or services that people desire to voluntarily purchase, and must rely on accosting citizens and relieving them of their property by force. When he tried to mutter a reply, my buddy Mike loudly and plainly told him, "Don't speak; you've been proven to be full of sh*t." I just smiled as a couple of girls giggled.

    The rest of the class was dumbfounded. Deputy D*ck had nothing left to say, and went back to his seat red-faced.

    I don't expect to get out of any traffic tickets in Elmore County in the future; that's for sure.
    Sounds like your a marked man at least when he is on duty.....lol

    Better yet, you should run for sheriff. I would love to see his face the day you became his boss and made him follow real laws and his made up ones.

    I'm laughing just thinking about it.....

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Had round 2 with him today. I brought in a stack of Idaho gun law trifolds, with the relevant portions highlighted, and distributed them to the class. Once proven wrong, all he had to say was the typical cop response: "Well, I still work for somebody, so I'm telling you that if you try to enter our courthouse or jail, you will be arrested." It's amazing how putting the responsibility onto superiors seems to absolve the consciences of a subset of the population. These depraved individuals would have been happily gassing victims at Auschwitz because hey, they still work for somebody.

    I told him that it is unfortunate that these violations of the law have to get sorted out in court, where the citizen taxpayer foots the whole bill. He then tried to tell me that he's a taxpayer, too. I replied that when one's entire income consists of confiscated property, it is hard to say that he pays any real "tax" on that confiscated property. I told him that he has to realize that he "works" in the consumptive (aka parasitic) sector, while the rest of us dwell in the productive. Further, I told him that his sector produces no goods or services that people desire to voluntarily purchase, and must rely on accosting citizens and relieving them of their property by force. When he tried to mutter a reply, my buddy Mike loudly and plainly told him, "Don't speak; you've been proven to be full of sh*t." I just smiled as a couple of girls giggled.

    The rest of the class was dumbfounded. Deputy D*ck had nothing left to say, and went back to his seat red-faced.

    I don't expect to get out of any traffic tickets in Elmore County in the future; that's for sure.

    Thanks for taking him to task! You did great and you are correct. Get a car video camera system installed that records forward and backward with audio. You are probably going to need it in the near future.

    Once again, excellent job!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  8. #8
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,860
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Had round 2 with him today. I brought in a stack of Idaho gun law trifolds, with the relevant portions highlighted, and distributed them to the class. Once proven wrong, all he had to say was the typical cop response: "Well, I still work for somebody, so I'm telling you that if you try to enter our courthouse or jail, you will be arrested." It's amazing how putting the responsibility onto superiors seems to absolve the consciences of a subset of the population. These depraved individuals would have been happily gassing victims at Auschwitz because hey, they still work for somebody.

    I told him that it is unfortunate that these violations of the law have to get sorted out in court, where the citizen taxpayer foots the whole bill. He then tried to tell me that he's a taxpayer, too. I replied that when one's entire income consists of confiscated property, it is hard to say that he pays any real "tax" on that confiscated property. I told him that he has to realize that he "works" in the consumptive (aka parasitic) sector, while the rest of us dwell in the productive. Further, I told him that his sector produces no goods or services that people desire to voluntarily purchase, and must rely on accosting citizens and relieving them of their property by force. When he tried to mutter a reply, my buddy Mike loudly and plainly told him, "Don't speak; you've been proven to be full of sh*t." I just smiled as a couple of girls giggled.

    The rest of the class was dumbfounded. Deputy D*ck had nothing left to say, and went back to his seat red-faced.

    I don't expect to get out of any traffic tickets in Elmore County in the future; that's for sure.
    Gee, a room temperature IQ cop. How unusual...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  9. #9
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Gee, a room temperature IQ cop. How unusual...

    hahaha.

    Sir your IQ seems to be in direct correlation to the current room temperature and the AC is on.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  10. #10
    Regular Member oldbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    beckofbeyond - Idaho
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    ...I mentioned that open carry in courthouses and jails is not statutorily prohibited in Idaho...
    I asked the Clerk of the Court about this sign...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elmorecounty.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	8755

    She replied...
    The attached is the Adminstrative[sic] Order to answer to your question regarding weapons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img1.gif 
Views:	96 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	8753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img3.gif 
Views:	125 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	8754

    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...cation/pdf&url

    They do not see a difference between a courthouse and an annex or a shed.
    Last edited by oldbanger; 07-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,030
    I see nothing new in that sign. Carry of any kind has been illegal by Judges orders for years. That is inside the courthouse or courthouse annex only. Not other county buildings that are not courthouse. If the jail is within the courthouse building it would be illegal.
    Last edited by carracer; 07-02-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add info

  12. #12
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I see nothing new in that sign. Carry of any kind has been illegal by Judges orders for years. That is inside the courthouse or courthouse annex only. Not other county buildings that are not courthouse. If the jail is within the courthouse building it would be illegal.
    The sign is also located on the DMV building (trailer) where you get your plates in Elmore County, I went in open carry since my pistol was "autherized" by the constitution. The sign clearly states "Unautherized" and the lady had no problems with me carring she even said it was fine.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,030
    DMV in Canyon County is posted and manned by Canyon County Sheriff Deputy's. They feel strongly about the signage. I'm unsure how to get the DMV changed so it is not an annex.

  14. #14
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,030
    i think you did put him in his place, but i would suggest offering to buy him lunch or dinner, to save face. he is probably a dupe for the gov. and dosen't know any better. i would suggest that you make a friend instead of an enemy
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    DMV in Canyon County is posted and manned by Canyon County Sheriff Deputy's. They feel strongly about the signage. I'm unsure how to get the DMV changed so it is not an annex.
    Odd timing, I was researching this very issue, hence my first post here. The DMV is clearly not an annex (It's not called that in any county document, nor does it house any court employees or even clerk employees). The Nampa annex, by contrast, is actually an annex.

    I assume you've contacted them before regarding this? What was there response? And who did you contact? I was about to send an e-mail regarding that, but if you've been down that road, maybe it won't be effective.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by ceverett View Post
    Odd timing, I was researching this very issue, hence my first post here. The DMV is clearly not an annex (It's not called that in any county document, nor does it house any court employees or even clerk employees). The Nampa annex, by contrast, is actually an annex.

    I assume you've contacted them before regarding this? What was there response? And who did you contact? I was about to send an e-mail regarding that, but if you've been down that road, maybe it won't be effective.
    Go ahead and send the email. I'm not sure how annex is defined, but, they think it is as the DMV previously was in the courthouse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •