• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disheartening Contact with Elmore County Deputy

ManInBlack

Let me preface this by saying that in all of my previous contacts with the Elmore County Sheriff's Department, I have found them to be respectful and nonchalant about my right to open carry.

HOWEVER

I am finishing up a couple of degrees at BSU right now, and in my last poli. sci. class, I have an Elmore County Sheriff's Deputy as a fellow student. I've had a couple of classes with him before, and he is a major-league tool. Today, a buddy and I were talking about state firearms laws, and I mentioned that open carry in courthouses and jails is not statutorily prohibited in Idaho. Mr. Deputy butts in, and assures us that it is a "major felony" to carry in any jail. I asked him to show me the Idaho code, and turned away, whereupon he quickly said, "Oh, it's a federal law!" I again told him to show me, and then ignored him. He tried to flash his badge to prove his point, but we just made fun of him.

He spent all class searching on his tablet, and at the end, he tried to show me a USC, the title of which was "Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in federal facilities." I pointed this out for him, whereupon he tried to show me the Idaho code which bans concealed carry in those locations. Again, I pointed out his error. Then he tried to say that "any area we say is prohibited is illegal," and "we just have to post a sign." I tried to mention preemption and the fact that signs don't carry the force of law in Idaho, but I was already so steamed that I just told him, in front of the whole class, that it is a shameful state of affairs to have cops making up the law as they go along, and that flashing a shiny piece of government-issued costume jewelry to prove a point is beyond lame.

Seriously considering writing a letter to the Elmore Sheriff expressing my concerns.

Last edited:

DocWalker

I'm friends with a lot of the Elmore County Deputies and have only run into one tool that thought he was gods gift to LE. He thought he could make up laws and everyone had to do what he said, that he was a god due to having a badge. Sounds like the same guy, I hope I never ever run into him again.

Super Saiyan

...I just told him, in front of the whole class, that it is a shameful state of affairs to have cops making up the law as they go along, and that flashing a shiny piece of government-issued costume jewelry to prove a point is beyond lame.

LMAO! Awesome!

What's that, though? No threat of arrest for disorderly conduct? I'm surprised...

ManInBlack

Had round 2 with him today. I brought in a stack of Idaho gun law trifolds, with the relevant portions highlighted, and distributed them to the class. Once proven wrong, all he had to say was the typical cop response: "Well, I still work for somebody, so I'm telling you that if you try to enter our courthouse or jail, you will be arrested." It's amazing how putting the responsibility onto superiors seems to absolve the consciences of a subset of the population. These depraved individuals would have been happily gassing victims at Auschwitz because hey, they still work for somebody.

I told him that it is unfortunate that these violations of the law have to get sorted out in court, where the citizen taxpayer foots the whole bill. He then tried to tell me that he's a taxpayer, too. I replied that when one's entire income consists of confiscated property, it is hard to say that he pays any real "tax" on that confiscated property. I told him that he has to realize that he "works" in the consumptive (aka parasitic) sector, while the rest of us dwell in the productive. Further, I told him that his sector produces no goods or services that people desire to voluntarily purchase, and must rely on accosting citizens and relieving them of their property by force. When he tried to mutter a reply, my buddy Mike loudly and plainly told him, "Don't speak; you've been proven to be full of sh*t." I just smiled as a couple of girls giggled.

The rest of the class was dumbfounded. Deputy D*ck had nothing left to say, and went back to his seat red-faced.

I don't expect to get out of any traffic tickets in Elmore County in the future; that's for sure. :dude:

DocWalker

Had round 2 with him today. I brought in a stack of Idaho gun law trifolds, with the relevant portions highlighted, and distributed them to the class. Once proven wrong, all he had to say was the typical cop response: "Well, I still work for somebody, so I'm telling you that if you try to enter our courthouse or jail, you will be arrested." It's amazing how putting the responsibility onto superiors seems to absolve the consciences of a subset of the population. These depraved individuals would have been happily gassing victims at Auschwitz because hey, they still work for somebody.

I told him that it is unfortunate that these violations of the law have to get sorted out in court, where the citizen taxpayer foots the whole bill. He then tried to tell me that he's a taxpayer, too. I replied that when one's entire income consists of confiscated property, it is hard to say that he pays any real "tax" on that confiscated property. I told him that he has to realize that he "works" in the consumptive (aka parasitic) sector, while the rest of us dwell in the productive. Further, I told him that his sector produces no goods or services that people desire to voluntarily purchase, and must rely on accosting citizens and relieving them of their property by force. When he tried to mutter a reply, my buddy Mike loudly and plainly told him, "Don't speak; you've been proven to be full of sh*t." I just smiled as a couple of girls giggled.

The rest of the class was dumbfounded. Deputy D*ck had nothing left to say, and went back to his seat red-faced.

I don't expect to get out of any traffic tickets in Elmore County in the future; that's for sure. :dude:

Sounds like your a marked man at least when he is on duty.....lol

Better yet, you should run for sheriff. I would love to see his face the day you became his boss and made him follow real laws and his made up ones.

I'm laughing just thinking about it.....

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

Thanks for taking him to task! You did great and you are correct. Get a car video camera system installed that records forward and backward with audio. You are probably going to need it in the near future.

Once again, excellent job!

Gunslinger

Gee, a room temperature IQ cop. How unusual...

oldbanger

Last edited:

carracer

I see nothing new in that sign. Carry of any kind has been illegal by Judges orders for years. That is inside the courthouse or courthouse annex only. Not other county buildings that are not courthouse. If the jail is within the courthouse building it would be illegal.

Last edited:

DocWalker

I see nothing new in that sign. Carry of any kind has been illegal by Judges orders for years. That is inside the courthouse or courthouse annex only. Not other county buildings that are not courthouse. If the jail is within the courthouse building it would be illegal.

The sign is also located on the DMV building (trailer) where you get your plates in Elmore County, I went in open carry since my pistol was "autherized" by the constitution. The sign clearly states "Unautherized" and the lady had no problems with me carring she even said it was fine.

carracer

DMV in Canyon County is posted and manned by Canyon County Sheriff Deputy's. They feel strongly about the signage. I'm unsure how to get the DMV changed so it is not an annex.

papa bear

i think you did put him in his place, but i would suggest offering to buy him lunch or dinner, to save face. he is probably a dupe for the gov. and dosen't know any better. i would suggest that you make a friend instead of an enemy

ceverett

DMV in Canyon County is posted and manned by Canyon County Sheriff Deputy's. They feel strongly about the signage. I'm unsure how to get the DMV changed so it is not an annex.

Odd timing, I was researching this very issue, hence my first post here. The DMV is clearly not an annex (It's not called that in any county document, nor does it house any court employees or even clerk employees). The Nampa annex, by contrast, is actually an annex.

I assume you've contacted them before regarding this? What was there response? And who did you contact? I was about to send an e-mail regarding that, but if you've been down that road, maybe it won't be effective.

carracer

Odd timing, I was researching this very issue, hence my first post here. The DMV is clearly not an annex (It's not called that in any county document, nor does it house any court employees or even clerk employees). The Nampa annex, by contrast, is actually an annex.

I assume you've contacted them before regarding this? What was there response? And who did you contact? I was about to send an e-mail regarding that, but if you've been down that road, maybe it won't be effective.

Go ahead and send the email. I'm not sure how annex is defined, but, they think it is as the DMV previously was in the courthouse.