Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Smile for the Camera- another new OC exp for Me

  1. #1
    Regular Member GlockMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    33

    Smile for the Camera- another new OC exp for Me

    So I was out today on one of my daily walks with the kids in the double stroller.

    I was OC'ing my Glock 19 on my 3 o'clock. We were on our way back, last leg of the 1.5 hour walk. I am walking on the sidewalk, with my sidearm and hip facing the road. I am wearing black jeans and a light grey t-shirt for my working out (Note: I have not found a good solution for a work out holster, I am leaning toward getting a ankle holster maybe, so I have to wear a pair of jeans to secure the holster now). I hear a large vehicle slow down behind me. I look over my right shoulder as he slowly passes by in a Verizon Van, and it looks like he is taking a picture with his phone. I try to smile while he passes by, but honestly I was thinking wow that is kinda weird. He looks at me, puts his phone down, and drives off.

    *shrugs* it is what it is.

    If you see a picture around with a woman pushing a double stroller, who also has a sidearm, it might be me.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Powhatan, Va
    Posts
    204
    Now that is just strange! I thought I was the only one weird things like that happen to. Good to know I'm not alone. If you would have been on the ball enough, you should have pulled out your phone and taken a picture of him, lol!
    Last edited by Bowesmobile; 06-19-2012 at 02:05 PM.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    PLEASE forget the notion of an ankle holster when working out, and certainly when working out by pushing the kids.

    In a defensive situation you are going to want to get that handgun up and out as quickly as you can, once you have decided it is needed. An ankle holster usually is accessed by dropping down on one knee and pulling up the trouser leg that covers the ankle holster, then getting a combat grip and drawing. You are almost by default locked into shooting from the kneeling position. That puts you, among other things, probably below the kids in the stroller. It also prevents you from shielding the stroller in any manner for any reason - taking a bullet to save the kids or physically blocking someone grabbing for the stroller. It also means you now have no immediate line of escape - you have to get to your feet first.

    If you just will not/do not want to stick with your usual OWB setup, and do not want to go to some sort of IWB setup, there are all sorts of chest rigs - Safepackers, traditional tanker rigs, camera chest rigs outfitted to a holster, and many more. Heck, you could even rig a holster to the stroller if you had enough zip ties, duct tape, and no sense of fashion. (How about OWB using your usual gun belt over a pair of sweatpants, with one of those Army reflective belts http://www.amazon.com/Jogalite-High-.../dp/B000ZHCH2W over the gun belt?)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member GlockMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    PLEASE forget the notion of an ankle holster when working out, and certainly when working out by pushing the kids.

    In a defensive situation you are going to want to get that handgun up and out as quickly as you can, once you have decided it is needed. An ankle holster usually is accessed by dropping down on one knee and pulling up the trouser leg that covers the ankle holster, then getting a combat grip and drawing. You are almost by default locked into shooting from the kneeling position. That puts you, among other things, probably below the kids in the stroller. It also prevents you from shielding the stroller in any manner for any reason - taking a bullet to save the kids or physically blocking someone grabbing for the stroller. It also means you now have no immediate line of escape - you have to get to your feet first.

    If you just will not/do not want to stick with your usual OWB setup, and do not want to go to some sort of IWB setup, there are all sorts of chest rigs - Safepackers, traditional tanker rigs, camera chest rigs outfitted to a holster, and many more. Heck, you could even rig a holster to the stroller if you had enough zip ties, duct tape, and no sense of fashion. (How about OWB using your usual gun belt over a pair of sweatpants, with one of those Army reflective belts http://www.amazon.com/Jogalite-High-.../dp/B000ZHCH2W over the gun belt?)

    stay safe.
    Thanks Skidmark those are great suggestions. I had not thought about the shielding of the stroller. I intend to OC especially while out alone on the trails with the kids. The reflective belt is a great idea... I will have to get one and try it out.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    fairfax
    Posts
    75
    personally i could care less if a creepy verizon guy snaps pictures of me oc'ing, but i'm a dude and dont push my kids around in a stroller....... if it was my wife or any female family member it would be a different story.

    if i were you i would make a 5 min. phone call and let verizon. know they have a feild tech taking pictures of ladies and kids as they drive around on the clock. this does depend on if you got the plate number or van number of the verizon rig.


    i have had people take pictures of me in the past randomly, but i'm usally covered in mud from head to toe after a long day playing in the jeep. i might just be drop dead sexy too

  6. #6
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by cptstoney View Post
    if i were you i would make a 5 min. phone call and let verizon. know they have a feild tech taking pictures of ladies and kids as they drive around on the clock. this does depend on if you got the plate number or van number of the verizon rig.
    She could do that.

    Or, she could chalk it up to being an OC ambassador, leading to someone saying "hey look at that" and snapping a picture.

    I would lean toward the latter.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    I'm mixed on this, as I was stalked a few months ago by a car in our neighborhood while pushing my son in a stroller. Granted, I wasn't OCing, (boo, SC!) so his interest was most likely more creepy then your encounter, but still, the idea of any man in a vehicle taking a picture of a mom out walking with her kids, gun or not, gives me some eerie vibes. Kudos to you for remaining calm, Glockmom, and for being vigilant of your surroundings!

  8. #8
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Hmm, probably find it on the web in a few days.

    Ankle holster nooooo not unless you are carrying a back up gun.

    It works good if you have tight jean pockets and can put a gun on your ankle.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 06-19-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I'm mixed on this, as I was stalked a few months ago by a car in our neighborhood while pushing my son in a stroller. Granted, I wasn't OCing, (boo, SC!) so his interest was most likely more creepy then your encounter, but still, the idea of any man in a vehicle taking a picture of a mom out walking with her kids, gun or not, gives me some eerie vibes. Kudos to you for remaining calm, Glockmom, and for being vigilant of your surroundings!
    There's not much you can do about it so either turning your back or smiling is the prescribed solution.

    I literally have hundreds of thousands of pictures of people who didn't want them taken. (Just ask the Henrico Police)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    89

    Wink So, was it you?

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

    I literally have hundreds of thousands of pictures of people who didn't want them taken. (Just ask the Henrico Police)
    You didn't happen to be driving a Verizon van, were you?

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverdance View Post
    You didn't happen to be driving a Verizon van, were you?
    Nope


  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    ..

  13. #13
    Regular Member paramedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    118
    I have always found it pretty comfortable wear what is called a last chance belt while wearing sweats. It is very common with EMS, FIRE, and some LE. it is pretty wide, it secures with velcro.

  14. #14
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

    ..
    Recap this please, IIRC this was when you were at a OC morning but why did the cop draw tasers? Isn't that Skidmark?
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Recap this please, IIRC this was when you were at a OC morning but why did the cop draw tasers? Isn't that Skidmark?
    Yep, Saturday Breakfast and that was Skidmark and a few OC'ers going home.

    No one knows why the cop drew his Taser. I was lucky to get the camera out in time to catch it.

    Two others showed up later but looking for the cook for support payments.

    Later I checked to see if he was responding to a call and he wasn't. He just saw us and decided to go cowboy.

    Not too long after that at a VCDL meeting, the Henrico police were explaining how they were so professional around OC'ers, I showed that while proclaiming BULL $H&^.
    One of the senior cops took me to the side and gave me his card with the name and direct number for internal affairs.

    I have an idea the Taser boy is working school crossings. They were pretty embarrassed.
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Heart of Appalachia
    Posts
    77
    Wow, Paul's a cop magnet isn't he?

    What was going on in the back of that little Honda van that caught the cop's attention?

  17. #17
    Regular Member GreatDaneMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    213
    Skidmark told me about that incident a few weeks ago... thanks for the video
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

  18. #18
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    That bass player with the flailing arms always cracks me up!

    TFred

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Enthusiast View Post
    Wow, Paul's a cop magnet isn't he?

    What was going on in the back of that little Honda van that caught the cop's attention?
    The legal exchange of paper for metal, wood, and plastics. With some viewing of the goods by several of the spectators. And none of the cops there ever bothered to look and see what was happening at the tailgate.

    Folks inside or driving by on the street witht have seen us gathered there but were not able to see anything specific due to the crowd blocking lines of sight.

    And the taser was not due to/regarding me. It was because of all those scruffy, suspicious-looking folks that were standing on the sidewalk. Taser-boy speed-walked right past us into the diner chasing down a tip that a guy in arrears on child support might be there available for arrest. I guess that after he got over the disappointment of not finding the guy he remembered passing a whole bunch of folks with guns.

    It's Peter Nap, not me! If he just left those cameras at home there would be nothing to photograph. This I know because the Bradys tell me so.*

    stay safe.

    * I dare you to tell me you did not sing that line.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    She could do that.

    Or, she could chalk it up to being an OC ambassador, leading to someone saying "hey look at that" and snapping a picture.

    I would lean toward the latter.

    That's my reaction as well. Pics taking in a public place is common these days and personally I'd think that he'd be an idiot to be up to no good while in his very obvious Verizon mobile. Now if it were a plain white van with no windows...the creep factor as well as potential threat may go up. But for all we know this will result in a conversation with his significant other as he shows her the pic as part of trying to convince her to also open carry while she's out doing the same thing.

  21. #21
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    That sumanabitch had the Taser pointed at my spine!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    314
    Being a female, and having been out with kids and OCing, I would be entirely uncomfortable to have had ANYONE slowing down to take my picture. I would definitely have gotten his license plate and called Verizon. To me, that's unacceptable. Also, not wanting to have to wear jeans all the time, I've chosen to conceal carry when not doing so. You're other option is to get a single stack, smaller caliber weapon that wouldn't be as heavy. I guess most of the men didn't catch on to the fact that you were wearing jeans while walking for exercise. As a female, I know you had to be terribly uncomfortable. Perhaps a shoulder holster is the way for you to go to keep your hands free and enable you to wear cotton clothing for exercising.
    Last edited by ClumsyCandy; 06-21-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out why it turned license plate into a link...

  23. #23
    Regular Member ryan7068's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    185
    What seems kind of silly about it, is that the cop only had his tazer out. If he was truly threatened, you'd think he would want to at least match force and draw his firearm. I'm quite certain multiple people with multiple guns always beats a tazer. I could be wrong though
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

  24. #24
    Regular Member GlockMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by ClumsyCandy View Post
    Being a female, and having been out with kids and OCing, I would be entirely uncomfortable to have had ANYONE slowing down to take my picture. I would definitely have gotten his license plate and called Verizon. To me, that's unacceptable. Also, not wanting to have to wear jeans all the time, I've chosen to conceal carry when not doing so. You're other option is to get a single stack, smaller caliber weapon that wouldn't be as heavy. I guess most of the men didn't catch on to the fact that you were wearing jeans while walking for exercise. As a female, I know you had to be terribly uncomfortable. Perhaps a shoulder holster is the way for you to go to keep your hands free and enable you to wear cotton clothing for exercising.
    Thanks for the support. =) Yeah hate running/walking for long distances in my jeans. I thought about a shoulder holster, but running it may suck for me, the bouncing around and hitting me in my chest... I may just get one of those reflective belts.

    It did weird me out. I had a bunch of things going through my mind, like that is weird and he is creepy, as well as need to be a good example of an OC'er. So I failed to get the plates. If I see him again, I will get photo of it. I tend to be out every day.
    "Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockMom View Post
    Thanks for the support. =) Yeah hate running/walking for long distances in my jeans. I thought about a shoulder holster, but running it may suck for me, the bouncing around and hitting me in my chest... I may just get one of those reflective belts.

    ....

    Good call on the shoulder holster, if I may be so presumptive as to think that you are of at least average womanhood. Getting to a shoulder holster anywhere but low enough to be better served by a crossdraw holster can be "problematic" in ways men do not have to contend with.

    Using a reflective belt to "hide the gun in plain sight" does not make it concealed (IMHO) so much as it draws the eye away from what would have otherwise been the most obvious item around your waist. Given that carrying in an IWB holster with the grips showing is not considered CC, you should be good to go. And if the reflective belt does its job there should be no problem (with mode of carry being questioned) to begin with.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •