• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smile for the Camera- another new OC exp for Me

GlockMom

So I was out today on one of my daily walks with the kids in the double stroller.

I was OC'ing my Glock 19 on my 3 o'clock. We were on our way back, last leg of the 1.5 hour walk. I am walking on the sidewalk, with my sidearm and hip facing the road. I am wearing black jeans and a light grey t-shirt for my working out (Note: I have not found a good solution for a work out holster, I am leaning toward getting a ankle holster maybe, so I have to wear a pair of jeans to secure the holster now). I hear a large vehicle slow down behind me. I look over my right shoulder as he slowly passes by in a Verizon Van, and it looks like he is taking a picture with his phone. I try to smile while he passes by, but honestly I was thinking wow that is kinda weird. He looks at me, puts his phone down, and drives off.

*shrugs* it is what it is.

If you see a picture around with a woman pushing a double stroller, who also has a sidearm, it might be me.

Bowesmobile

Now that is just strange! I thought I was the only one weird things like that happen to. Good to know I'm not alone. If you would have been on the ball enough, you should have pulled out your phone and taken a picture of him, lol!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
PLEASE forget the notion of an ankle holster when working out, and certainly when working out by pushing the kids.

In a defensive situation you are going to want to get that handgun up and out as quickly as you can, once you have decided it is needed. An ankle holster usually is accessed by dropping down on one knee and pulling up the trouser leg that covers the ankle holster, then getting a combat grip and drawing. You are almost by default locked into shooting from the kneeling position. That puts you, among other things, probably below the kids in the stroller. It also prevents you from shielding the stroller in any manner for any reason - taking a bullet to save the kids or physically blocking someone grabbing for the stroller. It also means you now have no immediate line of escape - you have to get to your feet first.

If you just will not/do not want to stick with your usual OWB setup, and do not want to go to some sort of IWB setup, there are all sorts of chest rigs - Safepackers, traditional tanker rigs, camera chest rigs outfitted to a holster, and many more. Heck, you could even rig a holster to the stroller if you had enough zip ties, duct tape, and no sense of fashion. (How about OWB using your usual gun belt over a pair of sweatpants, with one of those Army reflective belts http://www.amazon.com/Jogalite-High-Visibility-Reflective-belt/dp/B000ZHCH2W over the gun belt?)

stay safe.

GlockMom

PLEASE forget the notion of an ankle holster when working out, and certainly when working out by pushing the kids.

In a defensive situation you are going to want to get that handgun up and out as quickly as you can, once you have decided it is needed. An ankle holster usually is accessed by dropping down on one knee and pulling up the trouser leg that covers the ankle holster, then getting a combat grip and drawing. You are almost by default locked into shooting from the kneeling position. That puts you, among other things, probably below the kids in the stroller. It also prevents you from shielding the stroller in any manner for any reason - taking a bullet to save the kids or physically blocking someone grabbing for the stroller. It also means you now have no immediate line of escape - you have to get to your feet first.

If you just will not/do not want to stick with your usual OWB setup, and do not want to go to some sort of IWB setup, there are all sorts of chest rigs - Safepackers, traditional tanker rigs, camera chest rigs outfitted to a holster, and many more. Heck, you could even rig a holster to the stroller if you had enough zip ties, duct tape, and no sense of fashion. (How about OWB using your usual gun belt over a pair of sweatpants, with one of those Army reflective belts http://www.amazon.com/Jogalite-High-Visibility-Reflective-belt/dp/B000ZHCH2W over the gun belt?)

stay safe.

Thanks Skidmark those are great suggestions. I had not thought about the shielding of the stroller. I intend to OC especially while out alone on the trails with the kids. The reflective belt is a great idea... I will have to get one and try it out.

cptstoney

personally i could care less if a creepy verizon guy snaps pictures of me oc'ing, but i'm a dude and dont push my kids around in a stroller....... if it was my wife or any female family member it would be a different story.

if i were you i would make a 5 min. phone call and let verizon. know they have a feild tech taking pictures of ladies and kids as they drive around on the clock. this does depend on if you got the plate number or van number of the verizon rig.

i have had people take pictures of me in the past randomly, but i'm usally covered in mud from head to toe after a long day playing in the jeep. i might just be drop dead sexy too :)

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
if i were you i would make a 5 min. phone call and let verizon. know they have a feild tech taking pictures of ladies and kids as they drive around on the clock. this does depend on if you got the plate number or van number of the verizon rig.

She could do that.

Or, she could chalk it up to being an OC ambassador, leading to someone saying "hey look at that" and snapping a picture.

I would lean toward the latter.

PistolPackingMomma

I'm mixed on this, as I was stalked a few months ago by a car in our neighborhood while pushing my son in a stroller. Granted, I wasn't OCing, (boo, SC!) so his interest was most likely more creepy then your encounter, but still, the idea of any man in a vehicle taking a picture of a mom out walking with her kids, gun or not, gives me some eerie vibes. Kudos to you for remaining calm, Glockmom, and for being vigilant of your surroundings!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm mixed on this, as I was stalked a few months ago by a car in our neighborhood while pushing my son in a stroller. Granted, I wasn't OCing, (boo, SC!) so his interest was most likely more creepy then your encounter, but still, the idea of any man in a vehicle taking a picture of a mom out walking with her kids, gun or not, gives me some eerie vibes. Kudos to you for remaining calm, Glockmom, and for being vigilant of your surroundings!

There's not much you can do about it so either turning your back or smiling is the prescribed solution.

I literally have hundreds of thousands of pictures of people who didn't want them taken. (Just ask the Henrico Police:monkey)

paramedic

I have always found it pretty comfortable wear what is called a last chance belt while wearing sweats. It is very common with EMS, FIRE, and some LE. it is pretty wide, it secures with velcro.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Recap this please, IIRC this was when you were at a OC morning but why did the cop draw tasers? Isn't that Skidmark?

Yep, Saturday Breakfast and that was Skidmark and a few OC'ers going home.

No one knows why the cop drew his Taser. I was lucky to get the camera out in time to catch it.

Two others showed up later but looking for the cook for support payments.

Later I checked to see if he was responding to a call and he wasn't. He just saw us and decided to go cowboy.

Not too long after that at a VCDL meeting, the Henrico police were explaining how they were so professional around OC'ers, I showed that while proclaiming BULL $H&^.
One of the senior cops took me to the side and gave me his card with the name and direct number for internal affairs.

I have an idea the Taser boy is working school crossings. They were pretty embarrassed.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wow, Paul's a cop magnet isn't he?

What was going on in the back of that little Honda van that caught the cop's attention?

The legal exchange of paper for metal, wood, and plastics. With some viewing of the goods by several of the spectators. And none of the cops there ever bothered to look and see what was happening at the tailgate.

Folks inside or driving by on the street witht have seen us gathered there but were not able to see anything specific due to the crowd blocking lines of sight.

And the taser was not due to/regarding me. It was because of all those scruffy, suspicious-looking folks that were standing on the sidewalk. Taser-boy speed-walked right past us into the diner chasing down a tip that a guy in arrears on child support might be there available for arrest. I guess that after he got over the disappointment of not finding the guy he remembered passing a whole bunch of folks with guns.

It's Peter Nap, not me! If he just left those cameras at home there would be nothing to photograph. This I know because the Bradys tell me so.*

stay safe.

* I dare you to tell me you did not sing that line.

Glockster

She could do that.

Or, she could chalk it up to being an OC ambassador, leading to someone saying "hey look at that" and snapping a picture.

I would lean toward the latter.

That's my reaction as well. Pics taking in a public place is common these days and personally I'd think that he'd be an idiot to be up to no good while in his very obvious Verizon mobile. Now if it were a plain white van with no windows...the creep factor as well as potential threat may go up. But for all we know this will result in a conversation with his significant other as he shows her the pic as part of trying to convince her to also open carry while she's out doing the same thing.