• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smile for the Camera- another new OC exp for Me

ClumsyCandy

Being a female, and having been out with kids and OCing, I would be entirely uncomfortable to have had ANYONE slowing down to take my picture. I would definitely have gotten his license plate and called Verizon. To me, that's unacceptable. Also, not wanting to have to wear jeans all the time, I've chosen to conceal carry when not doing so. You're other option is to get a single stack, smaller caliber weapon that wouldn't be as heavy. I guess most of the men didn't catch on to the fact that you were wearing jeans while walking for exercise. As a female, I know you had to be terribly uncomfortable. Perhaps a shoulder holster is the way for you to go to keep your hands free and enable you to wear cotton clothing for exercising.

Last edited:

ryan7068

What seems kind of silly about it, is that the cop only had his tazer out. If he was truly threatened, you'd think he would want to at least match force and draw his firearm. I'm quite certain multiple people with multiple guns always beats a tazer. I could be wrong though:eek:

GlockMom

Being a female, and having been out with kids and OCing, I would be entirely uncomfortable to have had ANYONE slowing down to take my picture. I would definitely have gotten his license plate and called Verizon. To me, that's unacceptable. Also, not wanting to have to wear jeans all the time, I've chosen to conceal carry when not doing so. You're other option is to get a single stack, smaller caliber weapon that wouldn't be as heavy. I guess most of the men didn't catch on to the fact that you were wearing jeans while walking for exercise. As a female, I know you had to be terribly uncomfortable. Perhaps a shoulder holster is the way for you to go to keep your hands free and enable you to wear cotton clothing for exercising.

Thanks for the support. =) Yeah hate running/walking for long distances in my jeans. I thought about a shoulder holster, but running it may suck for me, the bouncing around and hitting me in my chest... I may just get one of those reflective belts.

It did weird me out. I had a bunch of things going through my mind, like that is weird and he is creepy, as well as need to be a good example of an OC'er. So I failed to get the plates. If I see him again, I will get photo of it. I tend to be out every day.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the support. =) Yeah hate running/walking for long distances in my jeans. I thought about a shoulder holster, but running it may suck for me, the bouncing around and hitting me in my chest... I may just get one of those reflective belts.

Good call on the shoulder holster, if I may be so presumptive as to think that you are of at least average womanhood. Getting to a shoulder holster anywhere but low enough to be better served by a crossdraw holster can be "problematic" in ways men do not have to contend with.

Using a reflective belt to "hide the gun in plain sight" does not make it concealed (IMHO) so much as it draws the eye away from what would have otherwise been the most obvious item around your waist. Given that carrying in an IWB holster with the grips showing is not considered CC, you should be good to go. And if the reflective belt does its job there should be no problem (with mode of carry being questioned) to begin with.

stay safe.

GlockMom

Good call on the shoulder holster, if I may be so presumptive as to think that you are of at least average womanhood. Getting to a shoulder holster anywhere but low enough to be better served by a crossdraw holster can be "problematic" in ways men do not have to contend with.

Using a reflective belt to "hide the gun in plain sight" does not make it concealed (IMHO) so much as it draws the eye away from what would have otherwise been the most obvious item around your waist. Given that carrying in an IWB holster with the grips showing is not considered CC, you should be good to go. And if the reflective belt does its job there should be no problem (with mode of carry being questioned) to begin with.

stay safe.

Skidmark, you are correct in your assumption. I developed early and fast, and it makes things logistically difficult. =)

I do like the reflective belt, and told Husband about it as well, and he likes it too. Makes me even more visible, early morning.

PistolPackingMomma

It did weird me out. I had a bunch of things going through my mind, like that is weird and he is creepy, as well as need to be a good example of an OC'er. So I failed to get the plates. If I see him again, I will get photo of it. I tend to be out every day.

I recommend a video/audio recorder. I turn it on, pop it in the stroller cup holder, and let it record during my entire walk. If nothing happens, delete. Because I caught the driver and his car on video, I was able to forward it to the police and they were able to identify and stop him. He didn't deny the encounter, but if he had, I had proof, so it couldn't turn into a case of he said she said.

Carry a gun for defense, carry a recorder for protection.

GlockMom

I recommend a video/audio recorder. I turn it on, pop it in the stroller cup holder, and let it record during my entire walk. If nothing happens, delete. Because I caught the driver and his car on video, I was able to forward it to the police and they were able to identify and stop him. He didn't deny the encounter, but if he had, I had proof, so it couldn't turn into a case of he said she said.

Yeah was just thinking about that. I have a flip video camera that I think I will start taking with me for the walks.

I am glad they were able to identify and stop the individual.

Shovelhead

Too bad you didn't get the vehicle ID or a description of the Verizon driver.
Use of a cellphone while driving a Verizon Company vehicle is a 1st time FIRING offence.

ocholsteroc

IMO keep the recording for 48 hours, in case someone tried to frame you, this way you have it on tape within 24-48 hours if someone tried to arrest you for nothing.

Like you go to walmart, someone says MWAG (dials 911) when your leaving, and they get your plate #. And while your at home deleting your recorder, some 50 cops could show up about to break in for no reason. In case the caller made up some story about you etc..

half_life1052

What seems kind of silly about it, is that the cop only had his tazer out. If he was truly threatened, you'd think he would want to at least match force and draw his firearm. I'm quite certain multiple people with multiple guns always beats a tazer. I could be wrong though:eek:

This makes me wonder about the rules of force here in Virginia. A long time ago in a mythical place located just north of hell otherwise known as California I had a baton license among other things. As I recall pulling a Taser/stun gun was the same level of force as pulling a baton. Pulling a baton was only slightly less serious than lethal force and you had better have your ducks in a row if you did it. Can someone advise as to the legal implications here?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This makes me wonder about the rules of force here in Virginia. A long time ago in a mythical place located just north of hell otherwise known as California I had a baton license among other things. As I recall pulling a Taser/stun gun was the same level of force as pulling a baton. Pulling a baton was only slightly less serious than lethal force and you had better have your ducks in a row if you did it. Can someone advise as to the legal implications here?

I'm not going to look it up, but my recollection is that for us mere mortals there is deadly force and all other force - if you are LEO your department may have a "Continuum of Force" policy.

stay safe.

half_life1052

I'm not going to look it up, but my recollection is that for us mere mortals there is deadly force and all other force - if you are LEO your department may have a "Continuum of Force" policy.

stay safe.

Thanks! Old training dies hard. I was trained under "continuum of force" style rules and I still rely on them. A little further googling suggests using all of the same standards for use as firearms and includes a proportionality test (defending against fly-swatter with hammer).