Thread: Emily got her gun, Gun ownership up, crime down FBI violent-crime rates show safer US

Herr Heckler Koch

Emily got her gun, Gun ownership up, crime down FBI violent-crime rates show safer US

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...up-crime-down/
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Miller, TWT
    If the gun grabbers were right, we’d be in the middle of a crime wave, considering how many guns are on the streets. “Firearms sales have increased substantially since right after the 2008 election,” said Bill Brassard, spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the $4 billion firearms and ammunition industry. “There was a leveling off in 2010, but now we’re seeing a surge again.”
    [ ... ]
    Mr. Obama could honestly take credit for this jobs program, economic boost and the reduction in violent crime that has followed the spike in gun ownership on his watch. Instead, he’s silent about his greatest positive accomplishment.

IF Emily Miller doesn't get a Pulitzer for this series of articles, there is no hope for the future credibility of the Press...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

While I love her writing, I really wish she paid more attention to details. This is the first glaring error I've seen in her reporting:
    The FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) serves as one of the best indicators of gun sales because it counts each time someone buys a gun.
    I've bought lots of guns in the past six years. The NICS hasn't been able to count any of them.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    While I love her writing, I really wish she paid more attention to details. This is the first glaring error I've seen in her reporting:

I've bought lots of guns in the past six years. The NICS hasn't been able to count any of them.
    I don't think she is in error. Your guns were counted, the specific info is supposed to be destroyed. But there is no reason to believe they aren't counting the amount of guns transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

Add the word "new" in front of gun, or "from a dealer" after.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I don't think she is in error. Your guns were counted, the specific info is supposed to be destroyed. But there is no reason to believe they aren't counting the amount of guns transferred.
    No, sir. I promise you most of my guns have zero records in common with me. All were bought and are owned legally, and there is no record anywhere of them attached to me. Many of the sellers didn't even know me personally, and I don't do bills of sale.

While she is correct that NICS checks are a good gauge, she erred in her details that they are complete, when in fact they are far from it. There are far more sales in this country than NICS checks. The truth actually gives her a stronger case, so it is unlikely a purposely misleading error. It is probably more due to her still trying to find out the freedoms real Americans enjoy outside the enclave of their princes.

ALSO, on second thought to this issue, her point is not invalidated anyway, because guns transferred without records in private party sales were USUALLY already in circulation among the populace. Newly manufactured guns being added to circulation will almost always go through a licensed dealer. However, many used guns are transferred through dealers, with NICS checks, so if counting just guns added to circulation, than NICS checks count too many.
    Last edited by MAC702; 06-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I gotcha. Yeah your are correct. Although the title of the article was "Gun Ownership UP..."
    If I sell my gun to you, it would be dishonest to say gun ownership numbers increased by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    IF Emily Miller doesn't get a Pulitzer for this series of articles, there is no hope for the future credibility of the Press...
    I concur 100%.

She did and is doing a great job exposing the communist DC state.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain