• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan - 18yr arrested for open carry M-1.

ocholsteroc

Anyone got more info?

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

pb-120612-gun-protest-jm-0.photoblog900.jpg

6/12/2012
Photos That Make the Rude Pundit Want to Smoke Meth and Down a Six Pack of Bell's:

This happened yesterday in the United States. In Michigan. Birmingham, Michigan, to be exact. See, Michigan has an "open carry" law on firearms. This 18-year-old high school kid in need of attention walked along the streets of the town sporting an M-1 rifle on his back. He created something of a ruckus, being a teenager with a sniper gun in the middle of the downtown, and the cops ended up charging him with disturbing the peace and other misdemeanors. Bonus points: he was arrested because the police asked for his i.d. to see if he was old enough to carry a gun. He refused to give it or proof that he owned the rifle. You got that, you idiots who love police power? If he wasn't committing any crimes, why should he not cooperate? Oh, wait. Because it's got to do with guns, not immigration or drugs. Oh, wait. It's because it's a white person being hassled, even though that white person is doing something that, legal or not, must have looked completely ******* nuts.

So, of course, of course, the pussies with pistols and maniacs with machine guns had to get out in the streets 'cause otherwise the ghost of James Madison would cry or some such ****. Although you gotta wonder if Duck Lips and Douche Face up front there would march to defend someone's First Amendment rights (well, probably if it had to do with religious freedom for Christians) or if they'd join a march in support of habeas corpus rights for Gitmo prisoners. And you can't help but wonder what the people of Birmingham, 91% white, would have done had it been a bunch of AK-toting African Americans openly carrying in the streets.

There you go: America 2012. We have large numbers of citizens who think it's cool to wander the downtowns of our cities sporting weapons of mass murder.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
The Judge will decide (Wed.) 6/20/2012 if the case goes forward or not...

http://birmingham.patch.com/article...ad-of-rifle-carrying-teen-s-wednesday-hearing

Usual goofy gibberish in the comments section. Please post to show support. I met this fine young man & his family.
I strolled along with 30 other OCer's to where he was arrested, then to the police station/city hall for a commission meeting. Funny not a damn word was said to us, nor were we questioned or detained. Go figure ;)

Last edited:

bellyfat

show me more

i love this idea. there should be more demonstrations like this all over america.
im telling my age now but; when i was 12 i carried a shotgun everyday on my rural paper route.
a deputy sherrif was one of my customers and allowed me to hunt rabbits on his proprety.
also at the age of 17 i carried an m1 in the army. i was old enough to defend my country.
this is not the same planet i grew up on.

DWCook

Activist Member
The things people will say just to get their face or word on public news. I would call the poster of the other site a bit of a huge baby. I don't see the problem with walking around with an M1, if its legal and he wants to do it, by George let him do it. Disturbing the peace is being stretched in law enforcement when it comes to its use and definition. Now a days anything is considered "Disturbing the Peace", considering they use that term a bit far fetched.

DWCook

Activist Member
I be willing to do a rally walk with my AR-15 and others to prove that this crap has to stop! If someone here in my state of "KANSAS" be willing to try this, I be game for it!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Judge Barron rules that the case should go to a jury trial??? In July

It "appears" the Police/DA have a friendly Judge.

http://www.oakgov.com/dc48/elected_off_bio/bio_barron.html

Judge Barron's bio - It looks like we have another Judge Aqualina "cherry picked" for us OC people by the powers that be? See CADL vs MOC in the MI forum. I hope he proves me very wrong. If this ruling goes against this kid it could effect ALL gun carries CC/OC should their gun be seen in public. This could be a green light to all local police to question / detain / arrest / issue tickets, to see what sticks?

Marc Barron
District Judge

Judge Marc Barron serves as Judge of the 48th District Court, which includes the communities of Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake, Sylvan Lake and West Bloomfield Township.

Elected to the Court in 2004 to succeed Judge Edward Avadenka, Marc Barron has been a career Oakland County Prosecutor, with 12 years service in District, Circuit and Family Courts. In his 7 years as Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor for Major Crimes, he handled only the most serious criminal cases including murder, assault, criminal sexual conduct and other felonies.

Born and raised in Oakland County, he attended Andover High School before earning his Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and Finance (with honors) from the University of Arizona. He continued his honors studies at American University and the Washington College of Law where he earned his Juris Doctorate Degree, then clerked at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. prior to returning home to Oakland County.

Judge Barron is active in the Oakland County Bar Association Inn of Court Program, as well as Oakland County Teen Court where he served both as Prosecutor and now as Judge. For ten years he was Instructor in Crimes Against Property and Crimes Against Persons at the Oakland Police Academy.

Judge Barron is a member of the Child Abuse Neglect Council/Care House of Oakland County Advisory Board, American Judges Association, Michigan District Judges Association, State Bar of Michigan, Oakland County Bar Association, Oakland County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council and Birmingham Rotary Club.

Last edited:

TheShadow

Perhaps you could contact the Rotary Club (which usually has many local business owners) and let them know that, because of this judges biased and unfriendly stance, you and your friends will take your business out of town. You would rather drive a little distance to where people appreciate your business and your rights. You're sorry that this will cause them a loss in sales and cost the city tax revenue, but yoiu can't afford to support businesses and governmental agencies that ignore both the law and your Constitutional rights.

In other words, hit them where it hurts,in their wallets!!

This is a good point. I think what he is saying is that in this case the Rotary wants to keep people with guns out of the shopping district of this very rich area of the Metro Detroit area. They may feel that they will lose more business if gun carriers are in the shopping district than if they are boycotted by them. :confused:

I live in a area of lesser means and can tell you this about $$$ Richie Rich Land $$$ aka Birmingham MI , you will be hard pressed to find a bottle of water in the area priced under $5 bucks. :cuss: