• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ninth Circuit to DEA: Putting a Gun to an 11-Year-Old's Head Is Not OK

zack991

June 18, 2012 http://reason.com/blog/2012/06/18/ninth-circuit-to-dea-putting-a-gun-to-an#fold

At 7 a.m. on January 20, 2007, DEA agents battered down the door to Thomas and Rosalie Avina’s mobile home in Seeley, California, in search of suspected drug trafficker Louis Alvarez. Thomas Avina met the agents in his living room and told them they were making a mistake. Shouting “Don’t you ******* move,” the agents forced Thomas Avina to the floor at gunpoint, and handcuffed him and his wife, who had been lying on a couch in the living room. As the officers made their way to the back of the house, where the Avina’s 11-year-old and 14-year-old daughters were sleeping, Rosalie Avina screamed, “Don’t hurt my babies. Don’t hurt my babies.”

The agents entered the 14-year-old girl’s room first, shouting “Get down on the ******* ground.” The girl, who was lying on her bed, rolled onto the floor, where the agents handcuffed her. Next they went to the 11-year-old’s room. The girl was sleeping. Agents woke her up by shouting “Get down on the ******* ground.” The girl’s eyes shot open, but she was, according to her own testimony, “frozen in fear.” So the agents dragged her onto the floor. While one agent handcuffed her, another held a gun to her head.

Moments later the two daughters were carried into the living room and placed next to their parents on the floor while DEA agents ransacked their home. After 30 minutes, the agents removed the children’s handcuffs. After two hours, the agents realized they had the wrong house—the product of a sloppy license plate transcription—and left.

In 2008, the Avinas—mom, dad, and both daughters—filed a federal suit against the DEA for excessive use of force, assault, and battery in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California. That court ruled in favor of the DEA, and the Avinas appealed. Last week, the family got justice.

While the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals defended the agents' rough treatment of Thomas and Rosalie, it also declared that yanking the Avina children of their beds and putting guns to their heads did, in fact, constitute the “intentional infliction of emotional distress.” (Read the Obama administration's defense of the DEA agents.)

"A jury could find that the agents pointed their guns at the head of an eleven-year-old girl, 'like they were going to shoot [her],' while she lay on the floor in handcuffs, and that it was excessive for them to do so," reads the Ninth Circuit's decision, which was filed June 12. "Similarly, a jury could find that the agents’ decision to force the two girls to lie face down on the floor with their hands cuffed behind their backs was unreasonable."

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The fact that the court ruled in favor of the DEA's actions against the parents is disgusting. They had the wrong house, it was their mistake not the parents. All 4 of these individuals suffered severe trauma, and it was not because of their actions, but because of the agents' actions. It is obvious our government is beyond saving when it is ok and not against someone's constitutional rights to illegally enter and search their home and hold them at gun point while they are being detained. How much more of this insidious behavior are we going to accept??????

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I, too, would have been dead or severely injured. A group of people in black(faces covered?) with weapons coming in my door would have rec'd deadly force. We have had a rash of home invasions in Washington lately. I would not have gone down alone tho.

Bowesmobile

And people wonder why Indiana passed a law allowing people to shoot LEO in similar situations!

No kidding! All the sheeple out there keep drinking the punch and saying "oh, it was justified". Until all we have is a police state. Thats not American or an America I would want to be part of.

gunns

A lot more, I'm afraid. :(

Finally something you said I agree on 100%.

I sleep with my H&K USP, with tritium sites, if they did that to me and I was still sleeping their would be blood on both sides. Almost broke my nephews neck when he touched me at night to wake me up, I instantly grabbed him, placed him in head lock and started to push down on his neck. Only then did I recognize his choked screams.

Even my wife yells out my name without touching me, my son never has touched me, he too knocks on the door very loudly to wake me up saying, Dad, Dad until I say what. I don't know what it is, but I don't get startled when someone tries to jump out and scare me nor do I jump. But when I am asleep and someone touches me I freak.

Last edited:

zack991

Finally something you said I agree on 100%.

I sleep with my H&K USP, with tritium sites, if they did that to me and I was still sleeping their would be blood on both sides. Almost broke my nephews neck when he touched me at night to wake me up, I instantly grabbed him, placed him in head lock and started to push down on his neck. Only then did I recognize his choked screams.

Even my wife yells out my name without touching me, my son never has touched me, he too knocks on the door very loudly to wake me up saying, Dad, Dad until I say what. I don't know what it is, but I don't get startled when someone tries to jump out and scare me nor do I jump. But when I am asleep and someone touches me I freak.

My wife always taps my foot or calls me, I have a similar issues when I am suddenly woken up. No one has been hurt but it has scared my wife a few times.

Last edited: