Thread: CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am COA oral arguments

CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am COA oral arguments

The Michigan Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments for CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am. Main issues are argued will be...1. Is the field of firearms regulation fully preempted by the State? 2. Is open carry brandishing?

The precedent set by this case will affect every gun owner in the state, open carrier or otherwise.

DISTRICT IV
    LANSING
    Hall of Justice
    925 W. Ottawa St.
    P.O. Box 30022
    Lansing, MI 48909-7522
    District Clerk
    Kimberly S. Hauser
    517-373-0786

I'll be there, will you?

Of course, I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by scot623;
    I'll be there, will you?
    Should everybody be there or where you just askin Q?

Banned
    Best wishes.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    Should everybody be there or where you just askin Q?
    since he didn't mention Q in any of his posts it's obvious he was asking everyone
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

AFAIK -- it's open to the public. Leave your guns in the car, of course.

I won't be wearing a holster -- I'll be in one of my suits.
    Last edited by TheQ; 06-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    what's a mine of suits?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    AFAIK -- it's open to the public. Leave your guns in the car, of course.

I won't be wearing a holster -- I'll be in mine of my suits.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    what's a mine of suits?
    mine    [mahyn] (noun)
    a device containing a charge of explosive in a watertight casing, floating on or moored beneath the surface of the water for the purpose of blowing up an enemy ship that strikes it or passes close by it.

I wouldn't do it Q, it would reflect poorly on MOC
    Last edited by DrTodd; 06-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    The Michigan Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments for CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am. Main issues are argued will be...1. Is the field of firearms regulation fully preempted by the State? 2. Is open carry brandishing?

The precedent set by this case will affect every gun owner in the state, open carrier or otherwise.
    Q: How long will it take to get a decision on my appeal?
    A: The time frame for deciding an appeal depends on various factors. Certain cases, such as child custody matters, are given priority status. In addition, the Court may order that a case be handled on an expedited basis. Such a designation will significantly lessen the time to complete the case. As a general matter, approximately ninety percent of all cases before the Court of Appeals are concluded within 18 months of their filing. The length of time to complete a case is affected by the time required for preparation of the lower court record, the filing of the parties' briefs, the volume of cases before the Court and the Court staffing resources.
    -http://coa.courts.mi.gov/court/faq.htm

Documents and timeline:

http://coa.courts.mi.gov/resources/a...pe=public&yr=0
    Last edited by DrTodd; 06-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Should we start a $ drive for a supreme court case now? Even if we win, the funds generated could be used to help someone else down the road.

IMO "they" are trying to find a way to get rid of open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Should we start a $ drive for a supreme court case now? Even if we win, the funds generated could be used to help someone else down the road.

IMO "they" are trying to find a way to get rid of open carry.
    I believe you are correct regarding the general desire by our elected officials to see OC disappear... with their resolve to eliminate the ability of people to carry without a permit, I too can see this eventually going to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I believe you are correct regarding the general desire by our elected officials to see OC disappear... with their resolve to eliminate the ability of people to carry without a permit, I too can see this eventually going to the Michigan Supreme Court.
    Sad to say, but I think this case has been decided already, the court dates are just a formality.

At least that has been my experience in the court system...

are any outside groups(nra, goa, saf) contributing to this, financially or legal assistance?
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    are any outside groups(nra, goa, saf) contributing to this, financially or legal assistance?
    NO. This effort has been fully funded by the friends and members of MOC, the friends of freedom at large and our lawyer Dean Greenblatt's amazing generosity. His fee was GREATLY discounted for MOC. If ANYONE needs a lawyer for gun issues or otherwise HE should be your FIRST choice. Not only is he pationate about 2A, he is a GREAT attorney.

Dean G. Greenblatt PLC
    4190 Telegraph Rd
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-2079
    Phone: (248) 644-7520
    EMail: dgg@mnsi.net
    Known Forum Names: Hyperion (OCDO)
    Dean is Michigan Open Carry, Inc. corporate counsel.* He is "first chair" in Capital Area District Library v. Michigan Open Carry, Inc.* He has fought cases for persons ticketed for "open carry" on several occasions and got the cases quickly dismissed.

I fixed my post. Should have said "one of my suits".

As far as a money drive -- right now save up your nickels and dimes and stand ready to donate. There are too many possible outcomes right now to investigate and prepare for all of them. My current advise: stand ready!

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    NO. This effort has been fully funded by the friends and members of MOC, the friends of freedom at large and our lawyer Dean Greenblatt's amazing generosity. His fee was GREATLY discounted for MOC. If ANYONE needs a lawyer for gun issues or otherwise HE should be your FIRST choice. Not only is he pationate about 2A, he is a GREAT attorney.

Dean G. Greenblatt PLC
    4190 Telegraph Rd
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-2079
    Phone: (248) 644-7520
    EMail: dgg@mnsi.net
    Known Forum Names: Hyperion (OCDO)
    Dean is Michigan Open Carry, Inc. corporate counsel.* He is "first chair" in Capital Area District Library v. Michigan Open Carry, Inc.* He has fought cases for persons ticketed for "open carry" on several occasions and got the cases quickly dismissed.
    OK, just wanted to be sure so when they call me asking for money i can ask why they did nothing to help on this case.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    OK, just wanted to be sure so when they call me asking for money i can ask why they did nothing to help on this case.
    And if they say "we've never heard of CADL vs MOC" they are liars. Our attorneys called all of them.