• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am COA oral arguments

scot623

The Michigan Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments for CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am. Main issues are argued will be...1. Is the field of firearms regulation fully preempted by the State? 2. Is open carry brandishing?

The precedent set by this case will affect every gun owner in the state, open carrier or otherwise.

scot623

DISTRICT IV
LANSING
Hall of Justice
925 W. Ottawa St.
P.O. Box 30022
Lansing, MI 48909-7522
District Clerk
Kimberly S. Hauser
517-373-0786

I'll be there, will you?

TheQ

AFAIK -- it's open to the public. Leave your guns in the car, of course.

I won't be wearing a holster -- I'll be in one of my suits.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
AFAIK -- it's open to the public. Leave your guns in the car, of course.

I won't be wearing a holster -- I'll be in mine of my suits.

what's a mine of suits?

mine    [mahyn] (noun)
a device containing a charge of explosive in a watertight casing, floating on or moored beneath the surface of the water for the purpose of blowing up an enemy ship that strikes it or passes close by it.

I wouldn't do it Q, it would reflect poorly on MOC ;)

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The Michigan Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments for CADL vs MOC July 11th 10am. Main issues are argued will be...1. Is the field of firearms regulation fully preempted by the State? 2. Is open carry brandishing?

The precedent set by this case will affect every gun owner in the state, open carrier or otherwise.

Q: How long will it take to get a decision on my appeal?
A: The time frame for deciding an appeal depends on various factors. Certain cases, such as child custody matters, are given priority status. In addition, the Court may order that a case be handled on an expedited basis. Such a designation will significantly lessen the time to complete the case. As a general matter, approximately ninety percent of all cases before the Court of Appeals are concluded within 18 months of their filing. The length of time to complete a case is affected by the time required for preparation of the lower court record, the filing of the parties' briefs, the volume of cases before the Court and the Court staffing resources.
-http://coa.courts.mi.gov/court/faq.htm

Documents and timeline:

http://coa.courts.mi.gov/resources/...senumber=304582&fparties=&inqtype=public&yr=0

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Should we start a $ drive for a supreme court case now? Even if we win, the funds generated could be used to help someone else down the road.

IMO "they" are trying to find a way to get rid of open carry.

I believe you are correct regarding the general desire by our elected officials to see OC disappear... with their resolve to eliminate the ability of people to carry without a permit, I too can see this eventually going to the Michigan Supreme Court.

stainless1911

Banned
I believe you are correct regarding the general desire by our elected officials to see OC disappear... with their resolve to eliminate the ability of people to carry without a permit, I too can see this eventually going to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Sad to say, but I think this case has been decided already, the court dates are just a formality.

At least that has been my experience in the court system...

scot623

are any outside groups(nra, goa, saf) contributing to this, financially or legal assistance?

NO. This effort has been fully funded by the friends and members of MOC, the friends of freedom at large and our lawyer Dean Greenblatt's amazing generosity. His fee was GREATLY discounted for MOC. If ANYONE needs a lawyer for gun issues or otherwise HE should be your FIRST choice. Not only is he pationate about 2A, he is a GREAT attorney.

Dean G. Greenblatt PLC
4190 Telegraph Rd
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-2079
Phone: (248) 644-7520
EMail: dgg@mnsi.net
Known Forum Names: Hyperion (OCDO)
Dean is Michigan Open Carry, Inc. corporate counsel.* He is "first chair" in Capital Area District Library v. Michigan Open Carry, Inc.* He has fought cases for persons ticketed for "open carry" on several occasions and got the cases quickly dismissed.

TheQ

I fixed my post. Should have said "one of my suits".

As far as a money drive -- right now save up your nickels and dimes and stand ready to donate. There are too many possible outcomes right now to investigate and prepare for all of them. My current advise: stand ready!

detroit_fan

NO. This effort has been fully funded by the friends and members of MOC, the friends of freedom at large and our lawyer Dean Greenblatt's amazing generosity. His fee was GREATLY discounted for MOC. If ANYONE needs a lawyer for gun issues or otherwise HE should be your FIRST choice. Not only is he pationate about 2A, he is a GREAT attorney.

Dean G. Greenblatt PLC
4190 Telegraph Rd
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-2079
Phone: (248) 644-7520
EMail: dgg@mnsi.net
Known Forum Names: Hyperion (OCDO)
Dean is Michigan Open Carry, Inc. corporate counsel.* He is "first chair" in Capital Area District Library v. Michigan Open Carry, Inc.* He has fought cases for persons ticketed for "open carry" on several occasions and got the cases quickly dismissed.

OK, just wanted to be sure so when they call me asking for money i can ask why they did nothing to help on this case.