• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC while pregnant

suelng33

6 months ago I decided to get my CCW because of a burglary at my home on Christmas holiday. I took the class, but have not been able to get my CCW because of personal information that was stolen and needed to complete in getting my CCW. At the same time I purchased my Ruger LCR so that I can have something at home. I haven’t been able to really make much use of it since I can’t CC except for around the house and when I open carry in my vehicle. I was fed up in not being prepared while I was out and about running errands with the kids cuz I’d have to leave my gun in the car. I’ve been approached several times from behind from strangers while I was loading the kids in the car. At those moments I really wished I had my gun on my person. I decided that I want to start open carrying since its legal in Nevada, but I’m almost 8 months pregnant and having trouble figuring out how to carry. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on that. My husband suggested a shoulder holster. Any suggestions on what kind? I really appreciate any advice I can get on first time OCing, especially with having kids around. I would like to be prepared to defend my family in any emergency. SO i'm also looking into any advice or coarses on unarmed defense.
Sam

The Big Guy

I think this certainly takes the prize for an original topic. However, not having faced this problem, I will leave it to the ladies on the forum to come up with some ideas.

Thumbs up and welcome to the forum.

TBG

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was thinking the same. I've not the experience to help in the detailed way necessary...

I'm stoked there is a supportive father helping to arm the mother of his kid, though!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... i'm also looking into any advice or coarses on unarmed defense.

I'm a guy. Not pregnant, nor disabled in any way. I'm ex-military with minor training in Judo, Karate, and USMC LINE training.

I'd still get my ass kicked in an unarmed fight.

Unarmed defense just doesn't interest me.

Another reason I am glad to live in Nevada.

Merlin

I believe everyone should own a shoulder rig. Then you are in on the joke when someone else talks about getting one. :)

With that said, the unsaid statement here is that belt-mounted holsters are out because of maternity clothes being stretchy and belt-incompatible, right?

Well, that is a challenge, and certainly one I have never considered. Hmm..

Aside from a shoulder rig, there isn't really anything else that is open carry that I can think of. Back scabbard?

I guess the shoulder rig will suffice, but by the time you can wear a belt again, you'll be glad. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say, this is awesome. Who would hassle an 8-mo pregnant women with a shoulder rig?

Last edited:

DooFstersGirl

Welcome dear! You could look into a drop leg holster...I've seen some really soft flexible belts that's are basically for decorative purposes that could work for the pregnant belly (been pregnant twice) you could position it under your belly. The drop leg may be more comfortable because most of its security is strapped to your leg if that makes sense. A shoulder holster may be the most comfortable however.

PistolPackingMomma

A huge kudos to you, Sam, for arming yourself for you and your kids!

I'm going to alternate between a drop leg holster and a belly band holster during this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I either tucked a small gun/holster in my back pocket or wore my ankle holster. The ankle holster wasn't the greatest, being hard to reach, but it was better then being unarmed. The only reason I never did a shoulder rig (even though I'd like to!) was because we aren't allowed to OC in South Carolina (boo!) and because the good shoulder holsters seem expensive...

Someone mentioned maternity pants not being belt friendly; I found this to be very true, and also very uncomfortable. A rigid belt tucked under a large tummy with a baby that kicks...:uhoh:...so I don't know how the belly band is going to work, but hopefully it will be better.

Good luck and let us know what works for you!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I'm not a doctor but I would be careful about putting too much pressure due to belts/wraps etc. over a baby without learning more about how that sort of thing works. I don't know how that might affect a baby.

I wonder if something like an ankle holster can be open carried further up the leg? The ankle holster does not use a belt at all.

MKEgal

Welcome aboard! :D
Merlin said:
the unsaid statement here is that belt-mounted holsters are out because of maternity clothes being stretchy and belt-incompatible, right?
In part, yes, & in part because once you get to a certain point there really isn't a waist to hang a belt on; it either goes over or under, & in either case it'd be difficult to keep a decent belt in place with a holster accessable.
Similar problem with a belly band - it wouldn't want to stay in place around the equator.

Actually, it occurs to me that some men would be very qualified to give advice here... I've seen guys who were apple shaped, looked like they were pregnant. :rolleyes:

MKEgal

Felid`Maximus said:
I'm not a doctor but I would be careful about putting too much pressure due to belts/wraps etc. over a baby without learning more about how that sort of thing works. I don't know how that might affect a baby.
The fetus is in a bubble of liquid.
Liquid (for all practical purposes) does not compress.
The relatively slight pressure (or support) from a belt or an elastic band wouldn't have any effect.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The fetus is in a bubble of liquid.
Liquid (for all practical purposes) does not compress.
The relatively slight pressure (or support) from a belt or an elastic band wouldn't have any effect.

The fact that liquid does not compress is the point I THINK he was making.

Noncompressible liquids instead transmit, almost immediately, any pressures. Think of hydraulics.

Now, that said, I have no idea if it is significant or not to this.

MamaLiberty

Now, that said, I have no idea if it is significant or not to this.

The fluid is supposed to cushion the fetus from harm, both pressure and vibrations. The actual problems of CC during pregnancy have little or nothing to do with this fluid or the pressure... the problem is the SHAPE of the vessel that fluid comes in. Tie a string around an egg for an illustration.

Pregnancy is most definitely a serious impediment to concealed carry of a firearm. No getting around that. (Pun not intended. :) )

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
True, the forces transmitted by the fluid will act on far larger areas than the point of impetus in this case, so will decrease felt pressures. Good point.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

suelng33

Thanks!!!!!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my blog. I did a little research and got a few links from a youtuber (Falia Photography) of another youtuber (limalife) and she had some good advice on carrying while pregnant, but mostly CC. Theres also a youtube link about a thigh holster.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp3n0deJoN4
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRo5il9ovg
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-b30Me7wE
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJriDAhIIQs
5)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL5pqn3Eng

She also made a blog about arming yourself while pregnant:
http://armedpregnancy.blogspot.com/

I really liked the video where limalife explains that carrying should not be for the feeling of security because our emtions shouldn't be a factor in fear for protecting ourselves, but to just be prepared for anything that may happen. I have tried to open carry a few times and wasn't quite comfortable with it because of the fact that I feared that I didn't have enough training to do so. Limalifes videos made me realize that I cant always rely on my firearm to defend myself, especially if someone had took my firearm from me during an encounter. Plus I had purchased a cheap temporary in the waist band holster and wore a larger belt to carried around my waist outside my pants and my gun didnt feel secure when I would walk. I'm almost due soon to have this baby so I wont have to worry bout OP while pregnant. I decided not to open carry for now until I get the proper training in unarmed defense and how to disarm someone. For now I will have to just rely on my pepper spray in case of emergencies to protect my children and myself. After this pregnancy and finding a more comfortable holster, I will try to OP again. Thanks again for all your response and advice.

And for the woman who wanted to get together to OP, I would love to try it out! Ill contact you about it soon.:)