• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could I Open Carry a handgun, loaded, in Richmond, VA?

Bohr

Just saw the college carry map. It was not statutorily prohibited in VA. Is that means the gun free zone is K-12 school, not college & University.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just saw the college carry map. It was not statutorily prohibited in VA. Is that means the gun free zone is K-12 school, not college & University.

State universities abuse the Virginia Administrative Code to put their rules about not carrying in a very out-of-the-way place. Not all state universities prohibit, but the major ones have. There is also a court decision that they can prohibit carry inside the buildings and at certain activities on the grounds but cannot create an absolute ban. It takes a cheat sheet to keep up with it - VCDL www.vcdl.org should be publishing the most current version soon to deal with changes in law that go into effect July 1st. You can contact them from their web page and ask for a copy. Also, member ED probably will have updated OC cards available - send him a PM asking for the address to send a SASE.

One of the reasons we get together frequently, besides all that social networking BS, is to exchange news on the changes in the rules. That and the food is usually good - just don't mention BBQ to ProShooter:uhoh:.

Also, remember that some churches run schools, which means that in spite of the "good and sufficient reason" clause you may be prohibited from carrying at certain ones.

See what I mean about needing a cheat sheet?

stay safe.

riverrat10k