• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC experience chesterfield

MamabearCali

Had an interesting experience today. Went to the local goodwill to drop off unneeded toys. I got out of the car and could not figure out why for the life of me I was getting the stink eye from other donators. While dragging out the toys one of the workers came over and said "I bet no one messes with you!". Now I was totally flummoxed because I have become so accustomed to no one even noticing and it is just a part of my regular habit that I was tongue tied for a moment. Then I said, no I guess not. He proceeded to tell me he wanted to get his CHP, I encouraged him to get training (as he said the reason he wanted it was to keep people from irritating him).

What do y'all think.....did I do ok?

Later on today we went to chick-fil-a, and had no problems whatsoever. Most don't notice and those that do look up at my face, I smile warmly and they usually smile back.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is a reason people work for Goodwill....and it ain't because they need a hobby!

Yes, you did fine.:dude:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You did more than just OK.

Armed but not making a big deal of it? Check!
Situational awareness? Check!
Ambassador of goodwill (no pun there) and education? Check!
Avoiding the bait of getting into a debate on the reasons for carrying? Check!

stay safe.

Bowesmobile

Good job handling the situation!

I had something similar happen over the weekend, but without the dirty looks. I was at a garage sale. The woman running it asked me what it was that I do for a living? I answered that I am a mechanical engineer. She said she asked because she wondered why I carried a gun. Something I didn't really expect. I told her flatly that "I dont want to be a victim". To that her husband piped in with "thats a good enough reason"!

It seems that more people have been taking notice. So for me its good to have my answers sorted out. So I don't get caught off guard and send the wrong message.