View Poll Results: How many of the following do you carry?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back up gun

0 0%
  • flashlight

0 0%
  • knife

9 60.00%
  • extra magazines

6 40.00%
  • non-lethal (taser, mace, etc)

0 0%

Thread: How much gear do you usually carry, day to day?

Question If you had to choose one non-gun item, which would you NEVER want to be without?

Sorry about the title on the poll; I'm looking for how to edit it. It should read: If you had to choose one non-gun item, which would you NEVER want to be without?

GUNCLASSES.NET (A division of Practical Training Solutions, LLC)
    T 612.424.7955 Ext.101
    Last edited by GunClasses.Net; 04-18-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    To edit title/subject; select edit, select advanced, edit, save.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    To edit title/subject; select edit, select advanced, edit, save.
    Thanks; unfortunately, that seems to only put me in edit mode to the message but not the poll.

State Researcher
    Ummm do you have permission to be advertising on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by DreQo View Post
    Ummm do you have permission to be advertising on the forum?
    I'll check with the forum rules. Perhaps I'll have to remove the class info from my standard signature. Certainly meant no disrespect...

PO Box 23612 | Minneapolis, MN 55423
    612.424.7955 Ext.101
    info@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net
    Last edited by GunClasses.Net; 04-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Activist Member
    Automatic knife, 2 spare mags, back-up revolver, and a surefire 6px flashlight. I usually throw a couple speed strips in my pocket for the revolver when I'm wearing jeans and I can carry it (ankle holster). Sometimes I will carry a 16" ASP baton if I am going somewhere with large crowds, or if I just feel like I need it. The items I never go without are the spare mags, knife, and flashlight.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 06-21-2012 at 02:41 AM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by GunClasses.Net View Post
    If you had to choose one non-gun item, which would you NEVER want to be without?
    Your answer is obviously BUSINESS CARDS.

Instructors are allowed to post their classes here but not general ads. I think what made people look a little sideways at this post was that it seemed to be an attempt to slip in a general ad under the pretext of asking another question.

In any case, welcome to the forum. The rules are linked at the top of every page. Just search for Forum Rules and you will see the link.

John

I'll check with the forum rules. Perhaps I'll have to remove the class info from my standard signature. Certainly meant no disrespect...

Grant Vlasak | Senior Instructor
    612.424.7955 Ext.101
    gvlasak@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net

Poll fail. A cell phone is more likely to save your bacon nowadays than any of the other items listed. Report road range, call for help in a breakdown, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    Poll fail. A cell phone is more likely to save your bacon nowadays than any of the other items listed. Report road range, call for help in a breakdown, etc, etc.
    Not sure I agree with that, though I usually have a cell phone with me. Any help achieved from a cell phone would be minutes away.

This is kind of misleading. Since every day I work I take my laptop in by get home bag which has too many things to list, knives, flashlights, water, food, medical, extra mags, extra bullets, etc.

My everyday carry for around town also has a lot in it, its for when I don't go to work but want to carry and have some supplies on me, its a Maxpedition Fatboy, but my get home bag is in the trunk of the car too.

Quote Originally Posted by gunns View Post
    This is kind of misleading. Since every day I work I take my laptop in by get home bag which has too many things to list, knives, flashlights, water, food, medical, extra mags, extra bullets, etc.

My everyday carry for around town also has a lot in it, its for when I don't go to work but want to carry and have some supplies on me, its a Maxpedition Fatboy, but my get home bag is in the trunk of the car too.
    Interesting... What do you like or not like most about that Maxpedition Fatboy?

One item...hmm. I'm never without a decent knife. If I can't have a gun for whatever reason, I always carry a knife. I figure it'll at least give me a fighting chance in an encounter plus it doubles as a useful tool in a variety of situations

Interesting... What do you like or not like most about that Maxpedition Fatboy?
    The Fatboy isn't big enough to tote my H&K USP, but it does carry my Walther PPS. I have yet to stuff the Fatboy with anything other than my knife, flashlight and few other things. Its for walking distance from home, from say the gas station to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    One item...hmm. I'm never without a decent knife. If I can't have a gun for whatever reason, I always carry a knife. I figure it'll at least give me a fighting chance in an encounter plus it doubles as a useful tool in a variety of situations
    What's the training to carry a knife? I won't carry one to stake my life on it, unless I have some training. Knife fights are notorious for both people getting chopped up.

612.424.7955 Ext.101
    info@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net
    Last edited by GunClasses.Net; 04-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.

What's the training to carry a knife? I won't carry one to stake my life on it, unless I have some training. Knife fights are notorious for both people getting chopped up.

Grant Vlasak | Senior Instructor
    612.424.7955 Ext.101
    gvlasak@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net
    There are many more purposes for carrying a knife than just self defense. How much training does it take to stab someone repeatedly until they leave you alone? If a person can punch they can knife fight. I have been stabbed in the line of duty, I have been trained in self defense, and taking a knife away is not easy by any means. I got stabbed because I went and got the knife, knowing full well I might get cut. Not many people are going to do that, unless they are crazy or have no choice. The BG has a choice, and if he sees the knife open carried he will most likely search for a easier target. Because a knife is not a gun I would not try to get in a knife fight unless I had a gun, but if a knife is all I have then I would retreat if possible, if not my chances are better than having nothing. The best defense against a knife is a cane unless you have a gun, and even still the cane can buy time to draw and fire. There is training available other than your class also.

Or if assaulted one could always take Illinois state police advice and throw up on your attacker.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.

For me it's a knife.

Not so much for self defense, although it could be used for that. (has a 3" blade)

I grew up carrying a pocket knife, of course back then, you could carry one anywhere (like school) and not even raise an eyebrow, as long as you used it for normal things (like whittling, opening boxes, etc)

Always feel like I'm missing something when I don't have a knife on me.

HB