• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How much gear do you usually carry, day to day?

How many of the following do you carry?

• Back up gun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • flashlight

• knife

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • extra magazines

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • non-lethal (taser, mace, etc)

• Total voters

GunClasses.Net

If you had to choose one non-gun item, which would you NEVER want to be without?

Sorry about the title on the poll; I'm looking for how to edit it. It should read: If you had to choose one non-gun item, which would you NEVER want to be without?

GUNCLASSES.NET (A division of Practical Training Solutions, LLC)
T 612.424.7955 Ext.101

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

To edit title/subject; select edit, select advanced, edit, save.

GunClasses.Net

Ummm do you have permission to be advertising on the forum?

I'll check with the forum rules. Perhaps I'll have to remove the class info from my standard signature. Certainly meant no disrespect...

PO Box 23612 | Minneapolis, MN 55423
612.424.7955 Ext.101
info@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Automatic knife, 2 spare mags, back-up revolver, and a surefire 6px flashlight. I usually throw a couple speed strips in my pocket for the revolver when I'm wearing jeans and I can carry it (ankle holster). Sometimes I will carry a 16" ASP baton if I am going somewhere with large crowds, or if I just feel like I need it. The items I never go without are the spare mags, knife, and flashlight.

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Instructors are allowed to post their classes here but not general ads. I think what made people look a little sideways at this post was that it seemed to be an attempt to slip in a general ad under the pretext of asking another question.

In any case, welcome to the forum. The rules are linked at the top of every page. Just search for Forum Rules and you will see the link.

John

I'll check with the forum rules. Perhaps I'll have to remove the class info from my standard signature. Certainly meant no disrespect...

Grant Vlasak | Senior Instructor
612.424.7955 Ext.101
gvlasak@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net

amaixner

Poll fail. A cell phone is more likely to save your bacon nowadays than any of the other items listed. Report road range, call for help in a breakdown, etc, etc.

WalkingWolf

Poll fail. A cell phone is more likely to save your bacon nowadays than any of the other items listed. Report road range, call for help in a breakdown, etc, etc.

Not sure I agree with that, though I usually have a cell phone with me. Any help achieved from a cell phone would be minutes away.

gunns

This is kind of misleading. Since every day I work I take my laptop in by get home bag which has too many things to list, knives, flashlights, water, food, medical, extra mags, extra bullets, etc.

My everyday carry for around town also has a lot in it, its for when I don't go to work but want to carry and have some supplies on me, its a Maxpedition Fatboy, but my get home bag is in the trunk of the car too.

GunClasses.Net

This is kind of misleading. Since every day I work I take my laptop in by get home bag which has too many things to list, knives, flashlights, water, food, medical, extra mags, extra bullets, etc.

My everyday carry for around town also has a lot in it, its for when I don't go to work but want to carry and have some supplies on me, its a Maxpedition Fatboy, but my get home bag is in the trunk of the car too.

Interesting... What do you like or not like most about that Maxpedition Fatboy?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
One item...hmm. I'm never without a decent knife. If I can't have a gun for whatever reason, I always carry a knife. I figure it'll at least give me a fighting chance in an encounter plus it doubles as a useful tool in a variety of situations

gunns

Interesting... What do you like or not like most about that Maxpedition Fatboy?

The Fatboy isn't big enough to tote my H&K USP, but it does carry my Walther PPS. I have yet to stuff the Fatboy with anything other than my knife, flashlight and few other things. Its for walking distance from home, from say the gas station to the house.

GunClasses.Net

One item...hmm. I'm never without a decent knife. If I can't have a gun for whatever reason, I always carry a knife. I figure it'll at least give me a fighting chance in an encounter plus it doubles as a useful tool in a variety of situations

What's the training to carry a knife? I won't carry one to stake my life on it, unless I have some training. Knife fights are notorious for both people getting chopped up.

612.424.7955 Ext.101
info@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

What's the training to carry a knife? I won't carry one to stake my life on it, unless I have some training. Knife fights are notorious for both people getting chopped up.

Grant Vlasak | Senior Instructor
612.424.7955 Ext.101
gvlasak@gunclasses.net | www.gunclasses.net

There are many more purposes for carrying a knife than just self defense. How much training does it take to stab someone repeatedly until they leave you alone? If a person can punch they can knife fight. I have been stabbed in the line of duty, I have been trained in self defense, and taking a knife away is not easy by any means. I got stabbed because I went and got the knife, knowing full well I might get cut. Not many people are going to do that, unless they are crazy or have no choice. The BG has a choice, and if he sees the knife open carried he will most likely search for a easier target. Because a knife is not a gun I would not try to get in a knife fight unless I had a gun, but if a knife is all I have then I would retreat if possible, if not my chances are better than having nothing. The best defense against a knife is a cane unless you have a gun, and even still the cane can buy time to draw and fire. There is training available other than your class also.

Or if assaulted one could always take Illinois state police advice and throw up on your attacker.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

For me it's a knife.

Not so much for self defense, although it could be used for that. (has a 3" blade)

I grew up carrying a pocket knife, of course back then, you could carry one anywhere (like school) and not even raise an eyebrow, as long as you used it for normal things (like whittling, opening boxes, etc)

Always feel like I'm missing something when I don't have a knife on me.

HB