• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Five in One Night!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I decided to do a little late night metal detecting so left the house around 10pm-ish. Travelled to a spot where I've found gold jewelry before, hoping to repeat that performance again. So I'm busily working my way to a coin when I am suddenly bathed in light. I glanced over my shoulder to discover an Aurora police officer has detected my presence. I turned off my metal detector and straighted up and walked toward the light

(Go to the light.... where have I heard that one before???)

Anyhow, he gave a real friendly greeting.
"How's it going? Having any luck?"

"Only a few coins so far." I replied. "But you'd be amazed at what I find."

He then proceded to ask if I had seen some nefarious activity going on at this location. Seems they have issues with kids getting on roofs and breaking out windows. I told him that I had not seen much, apart from a trio of youngsters, one of whom was on the roof, but nobody was breaking out windows. He thanked me for my time and left me to go back to detecting.

On the way home I stopped at 7-11 hoping to find a specific sort of munchie. 4 of Aurora's finest strolled in and set about to getting coffee and sandwiches. They were all real chatty as cops go, and friendly in demeanor. None mentioned the 1911 on my hip, and what they said to me was the general sort of light conversational stuff you'd get from anybody on the street.

All in all, quite the non-event.

In fact, the only noteworthy part of the night was that I found a silver ring (.925) to add to my pocket full of coins.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

what they said to me was the general sort of light conversational stuff you'd get from anybody on the street.

What are the odds they wouldn't even give you light conversational stuff if you weren't OCing? Not that I mind such "light contact" particularly when odds are even as not that they are being cordial to a LAC backing them up.

mobiushky

What are the odds they wouldn't even give you light conversational stuff if you weren't OCing? Not that I mind such "light contact" particularly when odds are even as not that they are being cordial to a LAC backing them up.

Keep in mind. Whether we realize it or not, police are trained in minor ways to handle OC. The most basic and simple thing they are taught is to engage in a light brief convo just to get a sense of your state of mind. Even if it's just "How's it going?" they will judge the next few things you say just to determine if you are sober and sane. You start slurring words and acting weird, they know you're not sober or maybe not sane. So the simple tip of the hat from a cop is actually a quick check of your state of mind.

Not that it's a bad thing. Just saying, there's a motive there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBYp9_3Uvsw&feature=plcp

Check out this video and you'll see what I mean. This video is intended for police to pass the oral board.

F350

Keep in mind. Whether we realize it or not, police are trained in minor ways to handle OC. The most basic and simple thing they are taught is to engage in a light brief convo just to get a sense of your state of mind. Even if it's just "How's it going?" they will judge the next few things you say just to determine if you are sober and sane. You start slurring words and acting weird, they know you're not sober or maybe not sane. So the simple tip of the hat from a cop is actually a quick check of your state of mind.

Not that it's a bad thing. Just saying, there's a motive there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBYp9_3Uvsw&feature=plcp

Check out this video and you'll see what I mean. This video is intended for police to pass the oral board.

I have on occasion had LEO start a "casual" conversation when I was OCing; I'm no rube and knew exactly what was what but see nothing wrong (and IMHO very right) with a little friendly light conversation with LEO. I know what they are doing and some what appreciate them checking things out, I call this a "bump", just like sharks will physically bump potential pry to judge it's reaction, LEO is gauging the reaction and I have no problem establishing friendly relations. The guys that clam up and deliberately get hostile at a cops "Good Day" probably do more harm to our cause than any possible good by "putting the cop in his place".

HOWEVER the first negative or snide reference to my sidearm will result in my informing him that my consent to the contact has just ended and I'll walk away. I have been asked what I was carrying resulting in a general BS session about guns just like running into any other gun buff, but a request for ID or "running" my sidearm will result in an openly hostile attitude on my part.

I have had several people approach me over the last couple weeks and ask "Do you get hassled much for that"? and say they have seen all the U-tube videos, last time was in a stop-n-rob with a cop at the condiment bar doctoring up a couple cups of coffee while I got a soft drink. I said "Colorado is a generally accepting state and the western slope in particular and why should I as a law abiding citizen doing a legal thing have to go sneaking around skulking in the shadows"?

Guy looks at the cop who just kinda shrugs and says "Actually I kinda prefer open carry, I saw him coming, saw the gun and from his dress and demeanor figured he had nothing to hide and didn't really give him a second thought".

mobiushky

I have on occasion had LEO start a "casual" conversation when I was OCing; I'm no rube and knew exactly what was what but see nothing wrong (and IMHO very right) with a little friendly light conversation with LEO. I know what they are doing and some what appreciate them checking things out, I call this a "bump", just like sharks will physically bump potential pry to judge it's reaction, LEO is gauging the reaction and I have no problem establishing friendly relations. The guys that clam up and deliberately get hostile at a cops "Good Day" probably do more harm to our cause than any possible good by "putting the cop in his place".

HOWEVER the first negative or snide reference to my sidearm will result in my informing him that my consent to the contact has just ended and I'll walk away. I have been asked what I was carrying resulting in a general BS session about guns just like running into any other gun buff, but a request for ID or "running" my sidearm will result in an openly hostile attitude on my part.

I have had several people approach me over the last couple weeks and ask "Do you get hassled much for that"? and say they have seen all the U-tube videos, last time was in a stop-n-rob with a cop at the condiment bar doctoring up a couple cups of coffee while I got a soft drink. I said "Colorado is a generally accepting state and the western slope in particular and why should I as a law abiding citizen doing a legal thing have to go sneaking around skulking in the shadows"?

Guy looks at the cop who just kinda shrugs and says "Actually I kinda prefer open carry, I saw him coming, saw the gun and from his dress and demeanor figured he had nothing to hide and didn't really give him a second thought".

I totally agree. I hope my post didn't imply I was trying to be anti-police. Not at all. Like you said, I have no problem being civil and friendly. And (and this is key to me) I'm not out there trying to look for conflict at all. But I'd have no problem telling an officer that I'd rather not provide ID or anything just because I'm not breaking any laws.

mahkagari

I've taken the tactic myself. I'll "bump" LEOs and potential BGs. I'll make eye contact, smile, and nod. Takes the element of surprise out of both. Pre-emptively puts me off LEOs' radar or they'll have to REALLY be a jerk to rudely contact me (which they would have done anyway). If the potential BG is just this guy, ya know, then I've added a little friendliness to the world.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Mahkagari!
I think both things are true. They were certainly aware that I was totin', and the light contact was not unwelcome or intrusive but quite friendly.
And I believe they appreciate that I am an LAC and backing them. So it was a pretty good interaction.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Red Dawg

IMHO, you have to take LEO contact on a case by case. The never talk to leo, is okay, if you are in an obvious contact for information. But, you are both at the same place at the same time grabbing a donut, what does it hurt to be nice. Maybe, just maybe, if you guys say hi every week when you see each other at Starbucks, the call for a MWAG while you are shopping at x,y,z store, will go very quick, if he is the responding officer...Feel me? I don't talk to cops in general, as stated, but....I do speak to people I encounter...

DinFreemont

...you are both at the same place at the same time grabbing a donut, what does it hurt to be nice.

After over 25 years of intensive client services where I deal with fixing problems for clients and even training them directly I just cannot “turn it off” as in I am just generally friendly, helpful, even jovial to everyone... the uniform of any person is without issue.

Now I do find that LEOs can make me nervous when they get that “look” but I am proceeding to exercise my rights and have every intent to do so peacefully.

I do like the “line” expressed by F350, that “bump” is reasonable, starting to ask for “my papers” or to run my firearm and it is all “do I need my lawyer now, because I am going to shut up now” time.