• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP transfer confusion: Richmond City to Henrico County?!?

spitfyr

Hello all-

I have searched around on this and not yet found the info I need. So now I am turning to the experts. ;-)

Sometimes when I'm not OC'ing, I concealed carry for whatever reason. Which is why I have a CHP, originally issued by the City of Richmond, that doesn't expire for a couple more years. Recently I moved from the City of Richmond to Henrico County for a long list of reasons (that's another discussion, hahaha.) I notified DMV and did everything else I knew to do in terms of filing a change of address. The one remaining issue is of course my CHP.

Last week I called the City of Richmond and after finally getting to someone who knew what a CHP was, I was told "file for a new one in Henrico and after you get it, shred your old one from Richmond." So I took the time to print and fill out the VSP form, copy my drivers license and current CHP and training course certifications, write a check for $50, and head down to the Henrico courthouse.

The Henrico clerk took a 3-second look at my paperwork and immediately declared she couldn't do anything with it. She said I couldn't get a County CHP because my City one wasn't near its renewal time. And that I needed to go back to the City and have them re-issue my CHP but with my county address on it. Huh?!?

So before I bother picking up the phone again and/or burning several hours on a trip back into the City and/or out to the County courthouse to get this figured out, I was hoping for any thoughts on the subject. Did the City lady on the phone tell me wrong, or did the County lady in person tell me wrong? What should my next step be?

Many thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

Last edited:

spitfyr

Oh hell, there it is, I was looking in the wrong place. From VSP site:

"The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit."

So I DO need to go to the City, the Henrico lady was right, and whoever I got on the phone at the City was wrong. Great! As you were :)

ps- what do they want for "proof of new address" - utility bill perhaps? (I don't have the new address on my license, just my po box i.e. mailing address)

Marco

Change of Address
The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes, but you may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address.

Source for the above...
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

TFred

As noted, but with more emphasis on the saving money part:

There is no requirement to pay the $10 to have a new permit issued. Your old one is just as valid, and you can use it until it expires, at which time you will renew through the court of your new locality.

TFred

ETA: Interesting side effect of the change to the law. Starting this fall, a CHP will be considered a valid form of ID for voting. Since there is no requirement to update the CHP when you move, you will now have a perfectly legal form of ID that will allow you to vote in a jurisdiction where you no longer legally reside. Hmm... oversight?

ETA2: To the OP, bookmark 18.2-308. It's long and some parts are boring, but in general, it's very handy to have for a reference, as it trumps clerks, secretaries, and even the Virginia State Police website. :)

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Your permit is good until expiration even if you move to Mars.

Just stop what you are doing and forget about it until its time to renew. Then just go to your local circuit court.

mobeewan

TFred

ETA: Interesting side effect of the change to the law. Starting this fall, a CHP will be considered a valid form of ID for voting. Since there is no requirement to update the CHP when you move, you will now have a perfectly legal form of ID that will allow you to vote in a jurisdiction where you no longer legally reside. Hmm... oversight?

I have known people who did not reregister to vote in time for an election. They were still registered to vote. So they voted at their former precinct since they would not be on the roll at their new precinct and that was by using their old voter registration card as ID. You only have to show an ID or voter registration card not both so the same situation goes for the VRC as well.

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I have known people who did not reregister to vote in time for an election. They were still registered to vote. So they voted at their former precinct since they would not be on the roll at their new precinct and that was by using their old voter registration card as ID. You only have to show an ID or voter registration card not both so the same situation goes for the VRC as well.

This would be voter fraud.